Key to losing weight: What should I be doing?

Options
I would like some tips and pointers on losing weight and staying motivated. I want to make a change and get healthy, but I honestly don't know where to start. I keep saying I'm going to start drinking more water, counting my calories, going to gym but I always fail. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Dawn4511
    Dawn4511 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Be more specific in your goals. How much water, when are you going to go to the gym? Plan out your week what healthy food are you going to eat? If you don't know where to start with calories the best thing would be to track what your currently eating for a week and see what changes need to be made once you know where your starting from.
    Smart goals are
    Specific
    Measureable
    Attainable
    Realistic
    and
    Timed
    Wishing you great success.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I would like some tips and pointers on losing weight and staying motivated. I want to make a change and get healthy, but I honestly don't know where to start. I keep saying I'm going to start drinking more water, counting my calories, going to gym but I always fail. Any suggestions?

To funny....I think I posted this on another thread not a day before.....go in and READ this. Then DO it. There ya go...your on your way already!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE
    Subtract 15%-20% from TDEE for fat loss
    Calculate your Macronutrient intakes
    Start a beginning strength training program
    Incorporate cardio if desired (not required)
    Eat whatever you want that fits your calorie goal and macronutrient goals
    Everything that goes in your mouth should go in your food diary
    Weigh and measure everything, don't guess
    Drink plenty of water, at least half a gallon a day
    Be consistent
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    When I first started what I realized I needed to do was be more conscious about my actions. Think about what you are eating and how much. Think about how much time you are sitting on your butt instead of exercising or doing some sort of physical activity. For the most part, that alone got me going on the right track.

I lost the majority of my weight not counting calories. I actively moderated what I ate and started playing competitive sports. To simplifying things completely, all you need to do is move more and eat less.
  • twoodley
    Options
    All of the advice is good...I just finally decided that I'm really ready..downloading Beyonce's new album and videos on my ipad have also helped...when I feel like nervous munching or skipping a workout...I watch one of her videos and the admiration and envy pushes me in the right direction...lol...well at least the past week it has.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Be realistic.

Add 150 minutes of exercise to your week somewhere. 30 x 5, 50 min x 3 - doesn't matter. Make it a decent effort - not all out, not easy.

Find 250 calories somewhere from current diet you can leave out on daily basis. Perhaps sugar pop is easy, perhaps bag of chips or crackers, perhaps couple desserts. Leave some of what you like.

Don't even worry about logging anything, don't do a total switch up of everything.
    Use MFP to find those items to leave out of current diet.

Make it simple and easy to start with. Wholesale changes, well, sounds like you already know what happens when you do them. Don't do them again.
  • haunstar
    haunstar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Zumba.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Pick one of those things and do it. When you've got that down and it's a habit, pick another one and do that. Pretty soon you will be doing all of those things, but don't try to start them all at once.
  • BeyMe
    BeyMe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • sweetpea101077
    sweetpea101077 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BeyMe
    BeyMe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    All of the advice is good...I just finally decided that I'm really ready..downloading Beyonce's new album and videos on my ipad have also helped...when I feel like nervous munching or skipping a workout...I watch one of her videos and the admiration and envy pushes me in the right direction...lol...well at least the past week it has.

Lol did you peep my name? I'm a huge Beyonce stan. Seriously after I watched her videos on the new album... I decided for good that this is something I need to do. She looks absolutely amazing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I keep saying I'm going to start drinking more water, counting my calories, going to gym but I always fail. Any suggestions?

Why, exactly, are you failing?
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    every person is different. for me drinking just water, exercising 1 hr a daymost days, eating more vegetarian/sushi and 2 pieces of friut a day. i have junk food on weekends only...its now a lifestyle change
  • drkdani
    Options
    Hey there, okay so you want to lose weight/ keep motivated correct? My question to you is why? Why do you want to lose weight? P.s. There is a reason why I am asking.
  • drkdani
    Options

This is what I was asking about as far as your why.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • Ashleydadiva
    Options
    I have always failed at dieting or anything that requires more than 2 days to do really. So I got to the root of the real problem; I'm not disciplined. So instead of calculating calories, exercising, or any of that other health mumbo jumbo that I'd immediately jump to FIRST, I focused all my energy on logging every meal, that's it! Not counting, not changing my diet, literally just to log my food for 1 week. Getting through that part set my discipline and good habit and made calorie counting easy, which made exercising easier. Maybe get to the root of why you don't follow through and focus on overcoming that FIRST other wise I don't see anything you do being successful and lasting.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

^^ This. Inspire yourself with whatever works for you.

I bought a pair of jeans that were too small. I left them out where I could see them. Once in a while I would try them on. They were so small I couldn't even pull them up. Finally one day they fit. The feeling was fantastic. Now they're too big.

Add something positive to your life every day. Walk further, do ten minutes more of exercise, try a new food for breakfast. Think of it as a new lifestyle not a diet.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Here's what worked for me:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1153938-next-stop-maintenance
    More detail on what worked:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1095703-mfp-1-year-anniversary

In a nutshell, I had to find a way of eating and exercising that is sustainable in the long run, and I had to find ways to make it easy on myself.

Everyone is unique. Find what works for you and then stick with it. Patience and consistency go a long way. Good luck!