Lost almost 40 pounds now but see no difference!

Options
I started at 282 pounds (although I didn't start using MFP until I was 278 so my weight loss shows different on here). Anyway I'm down to 244 so I've lost 38 pounds now, which I'm extremely excited about! Even though I can tell a difference in my jeans I can't really see the difference, except in my face a little. I have had a few people ask me if I've lost weight but only a few people. How much weight does a person have to lose to notice a huge difference?

Replies

• transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It really depends on a number of factors. First off, how tall are you? Forty pounds on a six-foot person doesn't look nearly as dramatic as forty pounds on a five-foot person (frustrating, but understandable when you think about proportions).
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    great job!
    keep working on it. you will get there. rome is not built in a day. patience young grasshopper!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    People refrain upon commenting on another's weight loss because its a sensitive subject. It doesn't mean they haven't noticed.
    Great job on your weight loss!
    Just keep going!
    You will get there and feel happy and proud if you just stick with it.
    You have done realy well thus far and notice a difference yourself in jeans.
    That's what counts. Keep that in perspective
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 pounds and I see a huge difference. However, I lost over 30 pounds on my 5'5" frame before anyone noticed. So yes, some of it depends on how tall you are, and then again, most people pay way less attention to detail than you think. But you're doing it for you, right? so just keep at it. As long as you see the difference, and feel the difference, that's the real motivator. The people who really notice are the ones who don't see you often so go visit someone you haven't seen in awhile if you need a little outside motivation.
  • moeisreal
    Options
    This may sound harsh but realistically your probably not working out hard enough/consistently enough. Your diet is definitely on point though if you lost 40 pounds!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You have seen a difference. That's what's important. You also didn't mention the time frame of your 40 pound loss. If it was slow and steady and you see the same people each day, they won't see it. But I bet if you ran into someone you haven't seen in a while they would notice it.

If you haven't taken both measurements and pictures - get on it now! Take photos every week or two and measurements at least once a month.

Good luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's harder to see changes in yourself than it is for other people.

My suggestion is to take progress photos every 30 days. You can compare them side by side and you'll start seeing a difference.
  • jillr527
    jillr527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 40, and I didn't see a difference in myself until a photo where I could see my clothes didn't fit properly. Now that I have bought clothing that is the proper size, I see it. Big clothes make you look bigger than you are. People were also very hesitant to say anything to me about the weight loss, but the more open you are about it, the more people will support and encourage you.