For Daily weighers....

Options
Hey...
I was wondering...How much do you guys usually gain from morning to night? And how much do you lose from night to morning?
I don't know why but I was just wondering...
Usually I'll gain 1-1.5 pounds and always lose 1 pounds by morning...
.I find it interesting to watch the fluctuations and see which foods make me gain more...

Replies

• Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    lol I am obsessed with weighing myself unfortunately and I usually gain anywhere from 1-3 lbs throughout the course of the day. By bed time, usually 1-2lbs up and in the morning i have lost 2-3.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have gained as much as 2.5.
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity I've started weighing myself just before I go to bed to compare to what I weigh when I wake up the next morning. It's been anywhere from a 2.5 lb difference to 4.5 lbs. So far I've not really gotten a consistent number, but the average is 3.3. I was hoping I would get a consistent number so maybe I could anticipate what I'd weigh the next morning, but so far no go.

A couple of times I've also weighed myself in the middle of the day, again, just out of curiosity. The most difference I saw there was about 5 lbs from that morning.

Not at all necessary to my records, just another number that's fun to keep track of :) It also helps remind me that weight fluctuates CONSTANTLY - and not to take slight increases seriously.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you eat and even more so how much you drink-I usually weight less after I pee!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Several pounds up and down all day. I drink a lot of liquid in the morning, and I can gain several pounds before lunch. A couple of visits to the bathroom and I pee away the pounds! Overnight, I can lose as much as 4 or 5 pounds, depending on what I ate for supper and how quickly my body breaks it down.
  • jgkoutr
    jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to salt so if I've had a high sodium day ... I can gain 5 lbs at the least.
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Agree with beaytyandtheb, I drink a ton and most of what I eat has a high water content too.. And a lot if it, also the salt thing. Usually I'm 5 or even 6 lbs higher than the morning...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same as the OP
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i'm actually the opposite of most, i think. i tend to weigh less at night, after work and the gym, but before dinner.

i tend to eat very scantily during the day, usually a luna bar, an apple and non-dairy yogurt until about 9pm, depending what time i get out. i hit the gym after work then weigh when i get home, then eat the majority of my food for the day. i'm typically 1-3lbs heavier the next morning but that's to be expected. i do realize the weight i records for the day is after eating little and being dehydrated but as long as it remains on a downward trend i'm good.
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    Depends if I eat/drink,sweat it out doing insanity,or make a bowel movement I usually go up about 4-5 pounds and back down the next day, but I also weigh myself to see the types of food I don't need or if I eat this type of food and do this workout how much progress is made.
  • DKaNTr
    Options
    If I go to buffet for cheat meal that means at least 8 between 11 lbs. On regular day I drink 4-6 liters water. Goes around 4-6 lbs. I've never checked salt - sugar difference. I should find out that. Thank you all for comments
  • robeff
    robeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The largest single day swing I've noticed is 179.4 down to 175.6 - I weigh my lowest after my run on cardio days (currently 1h at 6mph). Generally I seem to swing about 2-3lb from morning weight to post-workout weight, I don't weigh my self before bedtime though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and have seen gains of 5lb in a day or 8lbs over two days - boy that was a great weekend!! :wink:
    Over a week I've gone from 168 to 176 and back down to 167......

When I've weighed other times of day then it's clear my lightest is in the morning.

Apart from sodium, alcohol also seems to cause a temporary bloat.

My weight has always swung around rapidly, a 5 to 7lb gain for even a really active week on holiday is normal for me and it only takes a couple of weeks to get rid of it again. I've also been following an uneven eating pattern (5:2) for the last 18 months which contributes to fluctuations as well.

I think the advantages daily weighing gives you is the understanding that weight =/= fat and weight is not a constant.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Varies about five pounds throughout the day, and one to two pounds at the daily weigh-ins.
  • tnmomof3
    tnmomof3 Posts: 177
    Options
    Yesterday I weighed myself mid morning I was devastated I was up 6lbs! When I weighed in as soon as I got out of bed I was down 6lbs.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 1-5 pounds, either way, but that also depends on whether or not my IBS is acting up.

I do weigh myself daily b/c I like to see myself below a certain number, but I basically give myself a three or four pound range that I'm happy to be in.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    most of your overnight weight loss is water loss, don’t discount the loss that comes from the energy you burn while you are sleeping.

While you sleep, your body processes the food and drinks from the day before. They are broken down and eliminated through respiration, perspiration or urination.

overnight weight loss is a combo of
    (1) water lost via the skin and respiration
    (2) basal metabolic caloric expenditure
    (3) urine loss in the morning. Water loss, excluding urine and feces, accounts for over 80% of the weight lost while sleeping.

Consuming too much salt is a factor in weight gain and water retention. If you spend your day eating salty foods, by nightfall you may look puffy and bloated. Sleep gives the body an opportunity to balance itself causing much of the water retained to be processed and eliminated. Comparing your appearance after a day of loading up on salt with your refreshed morning look exaggerates the slimming effect.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Refreshed morning look? Holy cow.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself at night, but I appreciated reading this thread. For some reason, I became very sodium sensitive this week. My weight was up eight pounds. Sodium is killing me for some reason even though I have never had a problem before. I can't even get my wedding set off in the mornings.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I can gain up to 8lbs throughout the day and lose it by the next morning. It's scary to look at the number...