Weight machines at the gym, worth my time?

Options
Hi,
I would be very grateful for a little advice..
I have only just joined here and have been losing weight for about a year mainly through Cardio, I started incorporating weights into my workout a couple of months ago but have still ended up with the dreaded 'skinny fat' figure as I was stupidly eating at ridiculous deficit. I am 5'10 and now weigh around 132lbs/ 9 stone 6 ish. (I stopped looking at the scale a while ago). This is a very reasonable weight I do realise but am looking to lose a little more.
My workouts look a little like this:
Mon
Leg Curls
Leg Extension
Leg Press
Abductor and Adductor machines (3 sets of starting off with 20 on the first and however many I can do usually between 12 – 15 on the last set. Using between 20 – 30 kg)
30-40 minutes on the Elliptical
10 minutes rowing

Wed
Chest Press (aim for 3 sets of 17 – 12.5kg and then 10)
Chest Incline
Tricep Pull with a rope and then bar ( 4 sets of 20 – around 7.5kg)
Butterfly (4 sets starting with 20 reps, decreasing as they get harder)
Tricep dips
Elliptical 30mins or Treadmill for an hour

Fri
Usually focus on Cardio
30 day shred at home

I know this is far, far, far from being really effective but my main question is will using these machines help maintain any muscle I haven’t dieted away/ help me build a little lean muscle until I start a proper strength training program?

Seeing as I know diddly squat about strength training I have ordered New rules for lifting and have booked in a couple of PT session for end of Jan to help me with form etc

Until this time will carrying on with a workout like this be worth my time whilst still trying to lose fat? I realise that when I start properly strength training I will have to stop eating at a deficit to get anywhere but is there any point using these machines on a slight deficit until I know what I am doing or should I just bite the bullet and start eating more now to get anything from my current workout even if it means putting on a bit of fat too? In it for the long haul after all so that wouldn’t be the end of the world .

Sorry, huge post there. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :smile:

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, resistance training will help to tone and maintain muscle, even if it is the machines. I will say that your reps look really high to me. You don't need to be lifting really heavy at this point, but the last few reps of any set should be tough, even with the machines. I think you would probably see the same or better results increasing your weight and decreasing your reps, not to mention that it would probably save you time. Also, that's a lot of cardio to do on the same day - do you have enough freedom in your schedule to do cardio on days you don't lift?
  • Fern890
    Fern890 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yeah I was doing fewer reps but then a PT told me that because I am a woman I should be doing more but I guess since I aiming for strength fewer reps with stronger weights makes sense. I don't make all the reps by the 2nd and 3rd sets. i just do them until I can't complete them.

Yeah I have enough time to do cardio on different days, in fact that would probably be better as I'd make it home for 6.30 instead of 8.30 on gym nights.

I'll keep at different machines just adding a little weight instead of reps, so I am gaining strength.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes they will help....but not as effectively as free weights.

A very simple program to follow is Stronglifts 5x5, there are only 2 workouts which you do 3 times a week. There's a group on here if you want to have a look for advice or have any questions to ask.

Also, do you really need to lose any more weight? If you're serious about lifting you will lose more fat along the way but 'shrink' a bit more without having to lose more weight as such.

I'm 5ft 9" and when I went below 135lbs ( due to illness) I looked pretty awful...but we all carry weight differently so you might look fine.
  • Fern890
    Options
    Another reason I hadn't increased weight instead of reps is because I am unable to do as much cardio after heavy weights sometimes so I will definitely be doing cardio on different nights now. Should have drawn that conclusion myself now you've said it, seems kinda logical. Sorry for my dumbass questions, very new to this
  • Fern890
    Options
    I just feel a little wobbly. I seem to carry all my weight in one area so would like to get rid of it but like you say it will shift in time :smile:

I started off using different machines and using the dumbbells there and have been enjoying it so much more than cardio so definitely want to get serious about it I just want to know what I am doing and do my research before starting anything.

• Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yeah I was doing fewer reps but then a PT told me that because I am a woman I should be doing more but I guess since I aiming for strength fewer reps with stronger weights makes sense. I don't make all the reps by the 2nd and 3rd sets. i just do them until I can't complete them.

Yeah I have enough time to do cardio on different days, in fact that would probably be better as I'd make it home for 6.30 instead of 8.30 on gym nights.

I'll keep at different machines just adding a little weight instead of reps, so I am gaining strength.

Please tell me thats not the PT you are booked with. She sounds like the same PT who told me whey protein was for boys (yes she said boys) and some people weren't meant to run.
  • Fern890
    Options
    Hi,

Please tell me thats not the PT you are booked with. She sounds like the same PT who told me whey protein was for boys (yes she said boys) and some people weren't meant to run.

Picked the one trainer who actually looks as though they even use the gym... hoping he will know what he is talking about as I wouldn't know if he didn't :blushing:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was doing fewer reps but then a PT told me that because I am a woman I should be doing more......
    Best exercise you could do would be to pick up the very heaviest weight you can manage and drop it on that PT's head - might knock some sense into them!

No wonder some women get intimidated by weight training when numb-nut PTs think every female is a delicate little flower.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Unless you're looking to build muscle endurance, there's no need to go over 12 reps per exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You also need to add in pulling exercises (for your back), if you continue the way you are, you will develop muscle imbalances.
  • KiraBaby20
    Options
    damn, ok so we must have completely different body types or something! I am 5 foot 11 and I have had multiple doctors and trainers get on my *kitten* for weighing under 170lb. It was not even a skinny 170lb. I had just left military school and could pop out 117 push ups without stopping and run a mie under 8min. I am very curios what your doctor has to say about your current weight and that you want to lose more. I am not trying to be mean I am just extremely curious.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You are at the very low end of healthy for your height...why do you want to lose more weight? Do you still feel your body fat percentage is high?
  • Fern890
    Options
    You also need to add in pulling exercises (for your back), if you continue the way you are, you will develop muscle imbalances.

Yeah I did wonder about that, I need to ask someone at the gym to show me some. Don't want to be walking around all lopsided!
  • Fern890
    Options
    damn, ok so we must have completely different body types or something! I am 5 foot 11 and I have had multiple doctors and trainers get on my *kitten* for weighing under 170lb. It was not even a skinny 170lb. I had just left military school and could pop out 117 push ups without stopping and run a mie under 8min. I am very curios what your doctor has to say about your current weight and that you want to lose more. I am not trying to be mean I am just extremely curious.

When I say lose more weight I really mean body fat, I could probably do with increasing my weight but I want that to be muscle mass. I have slim arms and legs but carry a bit extra around my hips and stomach. It's not the size it's just the appearance really. My BMI is within the healthy range and my Doctor had no worries last time I went :smile:
    Too put it into perspective after a 2 stone weight loss my waist measurement has gone down 5 inches from 32 to 27 yet around just under my belly button, not my hips has only gone down 2 1/2 to 33 inches which fluctuates a lot. My boyfriend doesn't worry and I trust that he would tell me if I became unhealthy, he doesn't want to be cuddling up to a skeletal woman. I don't want to shrink I just want some shape and to even out a bit. Mainly I am enjoying the exercise, I have always suffered with depression and it's just evened my mood out and weights gives me mega endorphins and seems improve my mood so much. Really I have goals to keep me on track with exercise.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

When I say lose more weight I really mean body fat, I could probably do with increasing my weight but I want that to be muscle mass. I have slim arms and legs but carry a bit extra around my hips and stomach. It's not the size it's just the appearance really. My BMI is within the healthy range and my Doctor had no worries last time I went :smile:
    Too put it into perspective after a 2 stone weight loss my waist measurement has gone down 5 inches from 32 to 27 yet around just under my belly button, not my hips has only gone down 2 1/2 to 33 inches which fluctuates a lot. My boyfriend doesn't worry and I trust that he would tell me if I became unhealthy, he doesn't want to be cuddling up to a skeletal woman. I don't want to shrink I just want some shape and to even out a bit. Mainly I am enjoying the exercise, I have always suffered with depression and it's just evened my mood out and weights gives me mega endorphins and seems improve my mood so much. Really I have goals to keep me on track with exercise.

You might want to look into body re-composition...eat at maintenance, and then lift really heavy stuff with a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts. That will probably get you much further than your current routine.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Yes they will help....but not as effectively as free weights.

A very simple program to follow is Stronglifts 5x5, there are only 2 workouts which you do 3 times a week. There's a group on here if you want to have a look for advice or have any questions to ask.

Also, do you really need to lose any more weight? If you're serious about lifting you will lose more fat along the way but 'shrink' a bit more without having to lose more weight as such.

I'm 5ft 9" and when I went below 135lbs ( due to illness) I looked pretty awful...but we all carry weight differently so you might look fine.

Shes right! very simple 5x5 stronglift program. I 2nd this comment.
    you gotta eat more now tho so you can build those lean muscles. and cut the cardio.