Clarification on when to start weight training.

Options
I have a few question

1. I have 58 pounds to lose, should I wait until I get to 130 to start weight training or should I start now.

2. Is there a difference between weight training and strength training? If so can you please explain.

3. I have never done weight training before. Every time I have tried to lose weight, I have always only done cardio. So my last question is, how would one get started on something that they have never done before.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Replies

• davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Start now with strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength. Your scale might stop moving but take measurements and photos.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Everyone should be strength training (= weight training), regardless of goal. So yes, start now. I would read "New Rules of Lifting for Women".
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    1. Start yesterday.

2. Weight training = weights. Stregth training = weights, resistance bands, own body weight, etc.

3. Read the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read the website stronglifts.com. join the SL5x5 group here and read it, ask questions. Follow SL5x5 or starting strength because New Rules gets very complicated and you may not have access to all the equipment at your gym
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should start weight training yesterday if possible. if you can't, start tomorrow instead.

new rules of lifting is a great place to start. full body training is what gives most beginners the best results. while yo're waiting for the book to come in the mail, check this out: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I started with the weights from the beginning of my second attempt. In fact I mostly do weights . Weights are 2/3 cardio 1/3. My thighs look sooo much better.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The best time to start something is when you were 8 years old. The next best time is today.

The way to start is to pick up something heavy, then put it down again. Repeat as necessary.

Seriously, step out of your comfort zone and just give it a try. Women need resistance training for joint and bone health, even more than men need it. You can hire a trainer if you want some hand-holding. I have a trainer I work with once a week because I have a very specific goal I'm working toward. If your goal is to just get set up with a program and learn good form, it shouldn't take more than a couple of months.

I would read NROLFW as earlier stated, for the knowledge, but the workout itself's a little bit more complicated than it needs to be for a complete beginner. Stronglifts is a simpler program to get started with.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start now.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
    http://stronglifts.com/

the above are good beginners programs.

your scale weight loss will slow especially if you're doing something like starting strength and strong lifts and are aggressive about increasing the weights with every workout until you can't increase anymore. although the scale weight loss slows, the actual fat loss and changes in your body will be huge.

difference between weight training and strength training : weight training is the generic term for any type of resistance work you do. the difference is in the approach. with strength training, your goal is to consistently and progressively overload the muscle so that it is continually repairing itself to be stronger.

strength training also focuses on big compound movements that work full body like deadlifts, squats, cleans, bench press, overhead press, snatches, overhead press, pullups, barbell rows etc.

getting started : pick up a copy of starting strength from amazon or your local library. mark rippetoe is a an excellent resource and coach. he has tons of videos on youtube showing proper form.

if you belong to a gym you can try to schedule a time with a trainer to show you proper technique for the big lifts. there should be at least 1 person there who knows and can show you the basics.

also make sure your gym has the proper equipment : squat cage,squat racks,olympic barbells, etc

NROLFW has good info but the routine is overly complicated and will make you enemies in the gym because you'll have to goal tend multiple stations as you hope from one exercise o another and back again :laugh:
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think now would be the best time to start weight training (some people use the terms strength training and weight training interchangeably but I usually only use it when I'm referring to lifting actual weight, not using body weight). The more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn, even at rest! Also, you'll feel stronger and that will motivate you to keep going in the long-term. As far as getting started, the best thing would be to have a trainer show you around the gym equipment. If that's not a possibility, study the technique in videos such as those found on bodybuilding.com. And if getting to a gym is a problem, pick up some dumbbells and look up videos online. You'll want to start with weights that are heavy to you; if you're looking to build muscle you'll want to be able to lift it about 8 times, the last time being a struggle but still doable. If you're doing more high intensity exercise, you'll move through sets of your workout without as much rest and will perform higher reps with the weight, so you'll need to be able to lift it 12-15 times, again, the last time being hard but doable.

After a couple weeks or a month, you might need to move up in weight because as you get stronger, you'll need to lift heavier to continue progressing. Good luck, hun! Feel free to add me :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have a few question

1. I have 58 pounds to lose, should I wait until I get to 130 to start weight training or should I start now.

2. Is there a difference between weight training and strength training? If so can you please explain.

3. I have never done weight training before. Every time I have tried to lose weight, I have always only done cardio. So my last question is, how would one get started on something that they have never done before.

I started lifting weights when I had 80-90lbs to lose. My loss has been slow, but the change has been SO amazing! I am SO glad that I started lifting when I did.

the picture on the left is the closest thing I have to a before picture. It was in the first few months of my journey. The picture on the right is back in August, 18 months into my journey.

10067067346_a131833b47.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • aggiegirl121
    aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am heading out to pick up The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess TODAY.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The difference between weight training and strength training is weight training is the generic term for any type of resistance work you do WITH WEIGHTS.

With strength training, your goal is to consistently and progressively overload the muscle so that it is continually repairing itself to be stronger.

Weights are only one way to maintain and build strength and muscle mass. You can also look at bodyweight only exercises and resistance bands as have ready been mentioned.

With bodyweight you simply have to find more challenging ways to increase resistance so you continue to progress in strength or muscle mass or endurance - whatever you goals may be.

Any way you approach it - it is time to do it - now.

All the best.
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    I have a few question

I started lifting weights when I had 80-90lbs to lose. My loss has been slow, but the change has been SO amazing! I am SO glad that I started lifting when I did.

the picture on the left is the closest thing I have to a before picture. It was in the first few months of my journey. The picture on the right is back in August, 18 months into my journey.

10067067346_a131833b47.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

Thank you for the motivation! You look amazing!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NOW NOW NOW:smile:

I am glad I did.

fc85c5a2-a498-4227-a7c5-0eda83dd2559_zps97e15cac.jpg
  • aggiegirl121
    Options

I am glad I did.

How long did this take? And how much did you lose? If you don't mind me asking.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I am glad I did.

Well, I lost the initial 30 in about eighteen weeks...then about fifteen more at a slower rate while I lifted heavier. The difference between the two pictures is about 45 pounds.

I dont have a goal weight...it's more of a goal body.:flowerforyou:
  • aggiegirl121
    Options

I am glad I did.

Well, I lost the initial 30 in about eighteen weeks...then about fifteen more at a slower rate while I lifted heavier. The difference between the two pictures is about 45 pounds.

I dont have a goal weight...it's more of a goal body.:flowerforyou:

Thanks, you look great!
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Start now with strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength. Your scale might stop moving but take measurements and photos.

I second this.