Anyone have a negative mental change when losing weight?

Options
I am unsure if it is unrelated to weight loss, but it is a out-of-the-blue happening.

Lately instead of sleeping 9 - 10 hours, being out like a light, and falling asleep fast -- it takes me hours to fall asleep, I wake up with every little noise, and I am lucky to get 6 hours of sleep.

I am also VERY emotional and snappy. Very distant. Angry. Etc. Very hormonal.

I have no changed birth controls. I am not pregnant. And I am not PMSing.
This has been going on for a few weeks and people are starting to get fed up with my attitude LOL.

I do have anxiety and depression problems, BUT I have never experienced this type of emotional shift.

I plan on going to the doctors if it persists, but I was just wondering if any emotional/hormonal changes can be linked to weight loss? Especially at lower weights, or something? As this is the first time Im experiencing it.

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Guess Im the only one.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I did at first, I found myself angry and cranky a lot. However that was because I was restricting my calories too much. I upped my calories to a more modest deficit and have felt much better since.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories, workingout and just this time of year by itself can all be very stressful and tiring. remember to eat Healthy whole foods, drink plenty of water and get as much sleep as possible!
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I think eating at a deficit over long periods can have a negative affect on well-being for sure.

But the thought I had; is there any possibly that you might be over training? Side effects can include being unable to sleep properly, irritability, depression etc. Might be worth looking into.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If that's the case hopefully itll go away. Im starting to up my calories for maintenance starting today, so wish me luck that Ill feel better!
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple of weeks of feeling a bit tired and blue before I started feeling really good. Once I was over the chocolate cravings and got used to the exercise regime, I started feeling energetic. However, if you're still struggling after all this time, it might be better to review things and up your calories.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel really negative. Now that I'm losing weight I actually feel fatter than I did previously. I have become a bit obsessed with my belly pooch - placing my fingers underneath it to see if I've lost or gained. I admit I really beat myself up about not exercising/going over my cals and have snapped a few times about my eating habits. Its so weird how I didn't care for so long and now that I do I have such a bad body image. It should've been in reverse but I guess if it had then I would never've been overweight in the first place.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It is easy to obsess or get stuck in a rut when you are trying to be healthy. Mix things up, especially your exercise routine. May be hard in the winter depending on where you live but if there is a somewhat nice day get out side and walk or run or something. Mix up the routine and that usually breaks me out of feeling a little blue. Also make sure you are getting the nutrients you need and enough calories. Hope that helps....