I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yea!! Thanks! It was so much fun! The only people I passed were walkers and I thought...."well, I won't be last...". My husband told me I run too slow and that I'm using more energy running slow. That if I take longer strides I will be more efficient. I think I'll just be more tired, but I'm gonna try this on the treadmill and see how it works.

Oh and I made the tutu last night! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! It was easy peasy and I can tell you how to make it if you don't know how.

Thanks so much for all of your support while I was getting ready! Ya'll are seriously THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next one: The Glow Run on January 11th for my 49th birthday! Yea me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Garfy117
    Garfy117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome achievement, well done!

I'm not sure longer strides are necessarily the way forward (pardon the pun) though. I think a cadence of about 180 is considered ideal (my problem is my strides are *too* long and not quick enough.
    Honestly though - run the way that feels natural to you and continue enjoying it!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You inspire me! I'm a little older than you, but you give me hope that I can run someday, too.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    So awesome and I love the tutu:)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Very happy for you! And love the outfit.

:flowerforyou:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That's a great outfit, too. You did so well. What a wonderful achievement.
  • pierrena
    Options
    “Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” ~John F. Kennedy

Fast food nutrition facts - mystery ingredients are industrial chemicals
    http://bit.ly/1bZlkeE
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Cool beans. Congratulations.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Isn't it a high when you cross the finish line?!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Hooray!
    How wonderful that you exceeded your expectations for your first 5K!
    Did your husband run, too?

This adorable photo deserves a spot on next year's Christmas card!
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs up!! :glasses: Your excitement makes me smile!! :smile: :smile:
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Awesome! Watch out, road races are really addictive! :)
  • nattyann2245
    nattyann2245 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an accomplishment!!
  • lyzmorrison
    Options
    You inspire me! I'm a little older than you, but you give me hope that I can run someday, too.

You can totally do it! I have NEVER EVER run before. I only started MFP in July and only went to the gym so I could eat more. And now I'm there at least 5 days a week and I don't hate it anymore! I really like it and have become kind of obsessed. I never ever thought I could run before, but I've been practicing on the treadmill and then doing the elliptical. I started with 2 miles on the elliptical, then moved to 3 (1 mile backwards, no hands) and now I do 5 miles...it takes almost an hour, but I started doing that to build endurance so I could do this 5K. Girl, if I can do this, ANYONE can do it!
  • lyzmorrison
    Options
    Hooray!
    How wonderful that you exceeded your expectations for your first 5K!
    Did your husband run, too?

This adorable photo deserves a spot on next year's Christmas card!

Yup, he did it too. He works out all the time and does a lot of cardio so he's in better shape than me. He could have smoked me, but he hung back most of the time. He's not as giddy about it as I am, and refused to wear a tutu, but there's always next time.... :smile:
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing...love, love the tutu!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome, as awesome as that outfit!! Congrats!
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure longer strides are necessarily the way forward (pardon the pun) though. I think a cadence of about 180 is considered ideal (my problem is my strides are *too* long and not quick enough.

Yup, some will say that you expend more energy (less efficiently) with a long, loping gait, and that a stride rate of around 180/minute is optimal. Just observe any elite marathoner. So let the hubby know that you'll be doing quick little strides for right now, and that when you're ready to start working on your speed, you'll then be increasing your stride length.
  • saphyreplatypus
    Options
    Awesome, congrats! Great outfit!
  • Princess71117
    Princess71117 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! That's incredible!!
    Great job, girlie!! Keep it up
    :)