Is shakeology a ripoff?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    All these shakes/meal replacements are a rip off. Nothing, but NOTHING, replaces a healthy balanced diet...certainly not a glass of toxic chemicals.

LOL. Do you even know what Shakeology is? Clearly not if you think it is a glass of toxic chemicals. Shakeology contains more than 70 NUTRIENTS… proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, adaptogen herbs, prebiotics, probiotics, fiber and digestive enzymes.

LOL, do you even...meal replacement? Slim fast has vitamins and protein and carbs and replaces a meal for only like 89 cents when you can find it on sale. Plus you don't have to recruit anyone else to buy them from you to get your "discount", or find and make besties with the seller who may or may not be an actual coach and may or may not return your desperate calls or emails when you run out of your holy grail of fitness and diet. You just walk into any drug store or supermarket and take it to the counter and pay. They even have bars that you can shove in your purse. ...and the best part? You don't even have to mix them with 400 extra cals worth of ingredients to make them "taste so good as long as you...".

Slim Fast doesn't have nearly the same kind of nutrients nor the same quality of nutrients Shakeology has. And you don't have to add 400+ extra calories to Shakeology in order for it to taste good. It tastes good on its own. It tastes even better with strawberries or a tablespoon of peanut butter which certainly doesn't add up to 400+ calories. I took all honors math courses in high school and college… so I know math ;)
    apparently, you skipped basic nutrition class though….
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I used shakeology for 4-5 months. I recommend the product because it did 3 things for me: 1. It helped control cravings. 2. It was a nutritious alternative to my usual / regular breakfast. 3. It was convenient and a time saver.

To save money, I purchased 30 day bags off of ebay. I never purchased from a coach or from beachbody site. Even though it is marketed as a protein shake, it really is more of a balanced meal replacement option.

There are very strong opinions out there against shakeology and meal replacements in general. To each their own. It was one element which I incorporated into a health & fitness plan that worked for me. I used shakeology to replace my regular breakfast (peanut butter and jelly on a bagel). I then began an exercise routine, and began using MFP to track caloric intake and the result was down 84 pounds and ran 2 marathons. It's not necessary, there are plenty of alternatives. But I loved it.

BTW, a search on shakeology, and you will find quite a few threads on here.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    All these shakes/meal replacements are a rip off. Nothing, but NOTHING, replaces a healthy balanced diet...certainly not a glass of toxic chemicals.

LOL. Do you even know what Shakeology is? Clearly not if you think it is a glass of toxic chemicals. Shakeology contains more than 70 NUTRIENTS… proteins, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, adaptogen herbs, prebiotics, probiotics, fiber and digestive enzymes.

LOL, do you even...meal replacement? Slim fast has vitamins and protein and carbs and replaces a meal for only like 89 cents when you can find it on sale. Plus you don't have to recruit anyone else to buy them from you to get your "discount", or find and make besties with the seller who may or may not be an actual coach and may or may not return your desperate calls or emails when you run out of your holy grail of fitness and diet. You just walk into any drug store or supermarket and take it to the counter and pay. They even have bars that you can shove in your purse. ...and the best part? You don't even have to mix them with 400 extra cals worth of ingredients to make them "taste so good as long as you...".

Slim Fast doesn't have nearly the same kind of nutrients nor the same quality of nutrients Shakeology has. And you don't have to add 400+ extra calories to Shakeology in order for it to taste good. It tastes good on its own. It tastes even better with strawberries or a tablespoon of peanut butter which certainly doesn't add up to 400+ calories. I took all honors math courses in high school and college… so I know math ;)
    Apparently you didn't take honors avoiding-MLM-scams though...

I don't care about MLM scams. MLM or not, I know what it did for me when I was drinking it. And since I can afford it, why not?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

LOL, I took those classes too, but then I went to the school of hard knocks where I got my real education. Good luck with your shakeology! :flowerforyou: I'll be right here with my inferior quality slim fast laughing all the way to the bank. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    Options

I don't care about MLM scams. MLM or not, I know what it did for me when I was drinking it. And since I can afford it, why not?

maybe because you are wasting your money on a product that is doing absolutely nothing for your health, and or weight loss…but hey what do I know, I did not attend all those honor classes you listed…but I did get an A in common sense...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Oh I guess we are implying it is fancy? What if I told you I can afford it too? But that I don't buy the mumbo jumbo about the superior quality b/c b.s.? What if I also told you when I find two similar items and one is easier to get and allows me to spend my money on frivolous shiny things I prefer, I go that route? Does that make me broke? Or a dummy who can't get into honors classes?
  • alexandriax03
    Options

Hahaha no actually, I've taken many nutrition courses since they're required for my major. Not only have I taken multiple nutrition courses, I've gotten a 98 or better in every course. I have a 4.0 GPA so don't ever try to disrespect me and my intelligence. I know my stuff. You on the other hand clearly haven't done research on Shakeology. You're just pulling things out of your ignorant *kitten*. I haven't seen you post anything worth reading or any valuable information on this forum. So before you make comments on something you obviously know nothing about, therefore making an *kitten* out of yourself, I suggest you do your research Shakeology.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Oh I guess we are implying it is fancy? What if I told you I can afford it too? But that I don't buy the mumbo jumbo about the superior quality b/c b.s.? What if I also told you when I find two similar items and one is easier to get and allows me to spend my money on frivolous shiny things I prefer, I go that route? Does that make me broke? Or a dummy who can't get into honors classes?

But wasting money on MLM crap is so cool . . .
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's a ripoff, but based on the responses here I would say that drinking Shakeology makes you moody and unpleasant.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

But wasting money on MLM crap is so cool . . .
    Also, it lends it somewhat of an air of legitimacy that may fool people who are less smart and may not be able to afford wasting their money on it but get duped. I tend not to want to reward people for trying to pull shenanigans on others for profit. But whatever...
    88787.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options

Hahaha no actually, I've taken many nutrition courses since they're required for my major. Not only have I taken multiple nutrition courses, I've gotten a 98 or better in every course. I have a 4.0 GPA so don't ever try to disrespect me and my intelligence. I know my stuff. You on the other hand clearly haven't done research on Shakeology. You're just pulling things out of your ignorant *kitten*. I haven't seen you post anything worth reading or any valuable information on this forum. So before you make comments on something you obviously know nothing about, therefore making an *kitten* out of yourself, I suggest you do your research Shakeology.

bahahahahaha you are a pretty funny….hey, I got a PHD in advanced physics..because I post it on the internet then it must be true…

Never used shakeology and maintain about 11-12% body fat through lifting heavy, eating in deficit and/or surplus, and hitting macros < but I guess doing all that is "ignorant"….right, the geniuses use shakeology, eat six small meals to avoid starvation mode, and workout with 10 pound dumbbells doing a million reps each…
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's an overpriced low quality protein shake.
  • alexandriax03
    Options

The fact that you think Slim Fast and Shakeology are similar is just amusing to me. Take a look at the ingredients in each. They don't even compare. Shakeology is expensive because of the quality of super foods in the product. Sorry but your Slim Fast is processed hydrogenated sugary crap. If you think Slim Fast is healthy, you don't know the first thing about nutrition. Slim Fast was even labeled as NOT HEART HEALTHY.

SLIM FAST: 190 calories, 6 g fat, 24 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 18 g sugar, 10 g protein.

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE
    CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
    SODIUM ASCORBATE
    VITAMIN E ACETATE
    ZINC GLUCONATE
    FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE
    NIACINAMIDE
    CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE
    MANGANESE SULFATE
    VITAMIN A PALMITATE
    PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE
    RIBOFLAVIN
    THIAMIN MONONITRATE
    FOLIC ACID
    CHROMIUM CHLORIDE
    BIOTIN
    SODIUM MOLYBDATE
    POTASSIUM IODIDE
    PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1)
    SODIUM SELENITE
    CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12)
    CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3)
    SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

SHAKEOLOGY: (Chocolate vegan flavor) 170 calories, 2.5 g fat, 22 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 16 g protein.

Chlorella
    spiraling
    Hydrilla
    Blue green algae
    spinach powder
    barley grass
    kamut grass
    oat grass
    wheat grass
    acerola powder
    camu-camu powder
    pomegranate powder
    bilberry powder
    blueberry powder
    goji berry powder
    acai powder
    maitake powder
    citrus bioflavonoid
    rose hips powder
    maca powder
    astragalus powder
    ashwagandha powder
    cordyceps
    reishi powder
    schisandra powder
    suma powder
    ginko powder
    banana powder
    carrot powder
    orange powder
    pineapple powder
    raspberry powder
    strawberry powder
    yacon powder
    bifodobacterium longum
    lactobacillus acidophilus
    lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1
    lactobacillus bulgaricus
    lactobacillus casei
    streptococcus thermophilus
    sacha inchi
    flax seed
    chia seed
    apple fiber powder
    MSM
    pea fiber
    quinoa
    amylase
    papain
    cellulase
    lactase
    lipase
    protease
    bromelain
    amaranth
    grape seed extract
    green tea extract
    natural sweetener blend
    cocoa powder
    xanthan gum
    chocolate powder
    guar gum and cinnamon powder
  • ndj1979
    Options

The fact that you think Slim Fast and Shakeology are similar is just amusing to me. Take a look at the ingredients in each. They don't even compare. Shakeology is expensive because of the quality of super foods in the product. Sorry but your Slim Fast is processed hydrogenated sugary crap. If you think Slim Fast is healthy, you don't know the first thing about nutrition. Slim Fast was even labeled as NOT HEART HEALTHY.

SLIM FAST: 190 calories, 6 g fat, 24 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 18 g sugar, 10 g protein.

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE
    CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
    SODIUM ASCORBATE
    VITAMIN E ACETATE
    ZINC GLUCONATE
    FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE
    NIACINAMIDE
    CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE
    MANGANESE SULFATE
    VITAMIN A PALMITATE
    PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE
    RIBOFLAVIN
    THIAMIN MONONITRATE
    FOLIC ACID
    CHROMIUM CHLORIDE
    BIOTIN
    SODIUM MOLYBDATE
    POTASSIUM IODIDE
    SODIUM SELENITE
    SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

SHAKEOLOGY: (Chocolate vegan flavor) 170 calories, 2.5 g fat, 22 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 16 g protein.

Chlorella
    spiraling
    Hydrilla
    Blue green algae
    spinach powder
    barley grass
    kamut grass
    oat grass
    wheat grass
    acerola powder
    camu-camu powder
    pomegranate powder
    bilberry powder
    blueberry powder
    goji berry powder
    acai powder
    maitake powder
    citrus bioflavonoid
    rose hips powder
    maca powder
    astragalus powder
    ashwagandha powder
    cordyceps
    reishi powder
    schisandra powder
    suma powder
    ginko powder
    banana powder
    carrot powder
    orange powder
    pineapple powder
    raspberry powder
    strawberry powder
    yacon powder
    bifodobacterium longum
    lactobacillus bulgaricus
    lactobacillus casei
    sacha inchi
    flax seed
    chia seed
    apple fiber powder
    MSM
    pea fiber
    quinoa
    amylase
    papain
    cellulase
    lactase
    lipase
    protease
    bromelain
    amaranth
    grape seed extract
    green tea extract
    natural sweetener blend
    cocoa powder
    xanthan gum
    chocolate powder

don't forget ..it also contains magical unicorn dust from ground up unicorn horns….
  • Eowyn99
    Eowyn99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All meal replacements do is lower your calorie intake. You can eat a 300 calorie meal, instead of a meal replacement. Lol. It's not that difficult to figure out what's going on. You lose weight because of the decreased calories, not because of the shake.

So true! :drinker:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE
    CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
    SODIUM ASCORBATE
    VITAMIN E ACETATE
    ZINC GLUCONATE
    FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE
    NIACINAMIDE
    CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE
    MANGANESE SULFATE
    VITAMIN A PALMITATE
    PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE
    RIBOFLAVIN
    THIAMIN MONONITRATE
    FOLIC ACID
    CHROMIUM CHLORIDE
    BIOTIN
    SODIUM MOLYBDATE
    POTASSIUM IODIDE
    SODIUM SELENITE

Chlorella
    spiraling
    Hydrilla
    Blue green algae
    spinach powder
    barley grass
    kamut grass
    oat grass
    wheat grass
    acerola powder
    camu-camu powder
    pomegranate powder
    bilberry powder
    blueberry powder
    goji berry powder
    acai powder
    maitake powder
    citrus bioflavonoid
    rose hips powder
    maca powder
    astragalus powder
    ashwagandha powder
    cordyceps
    reishi powder
    schisandra powder
    suma powder
    ginko powder
    banana powder
    carrot powder
    orange powder
    pineapple powder
    raspberry powder
    strawberry powder
    yacon powder
    bifodobacterium longum
    lactobacillus bulgaricus
    lactobacillus casei
    sacha inchi
    flax seed
    chia seed
    apple fiber powder
    MSM
    pea fiber
    quinoa
    amylase
    papain
    cellulase
    lactase
    lipase
    protease
    bromelain
    amaranth
    grape seed extract
    green tea extract
    natural sweetener blend
    cocoa powder
    xanthan gum
    chocolate powder

don't forget ..it also contains magical unicorn dust from ground up unicorn horns….

And that stuff is like super Viagra!
  • pierrena
    Options
    “Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise” ~Benjamin Franklin

Fast food nutrition facts - mystery ingredients are industrial chemicals
    http://bit.ly/1bZlkeE
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it because it contains Stevia which wreaks havoc on my digestive system. I just finished my first 5 weeks of T25 and I have lost roughly 10-15lbs. I do use a plan protein powder for my protein pancakes and a few other things but I basically ate healthy most of the time and stayed around my calorie goal. I'm hoping to lose another 10 then see if I really need to lose any more when I start P90x3.

So I vote you don't really need it to get results. Just determination.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Here is the ingrediant list of Gold Standard 100% Whey double rich chololate for comparison.
    INGREDIENTS:
    Protein Blend (Whey Protein
    Isolate,
    Whey Protein Concentrate,
    Whey
    Peptides),
    Cocoa (Processed with Alkali),
    Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame
    Potassium, Aminogen Lactase

For Comparison here is the ingredient list of just eating real food, say a banana
    INGREDIENTS:
    Banana
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE
    CALCIUM PHOSPHATE
    SODIUM ASCORBATE
    VITAMIN E ACETATE
    ZINC GLUCONATE
    FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE
    NIACINAMIDE
    CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE
    MANGANESE SULFATE
    VITAMIN A PALMITATE
    PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE
    RIBOFLAVIN
    THIAMIN MONONITRATE
    FOLIC ACID
    CHROMIUM CHLORIDE
    BIOTIN
    SODIUM MOLYBDATE
    POTASSIUM IODIDE
    SODIUM SELENITE

Chlorella
    spiraling
    Hydrilla
    Blue green algae
    spinach powder
    barley grass
    kamut grass
    oat grass
    wheat grass
    acerola powder
    camu-camu powder
    pomegranate powder
    bilberry powder
    blueberry powder
    goji berry powder
    acai powder
    maitake powder
    citrus bioflavonoid
    rose hips powder
    maca powder
    astragalus powder
    ashwagandha powder
    cordyceps
    reishi powder
    schisandra powder
    suma powder
    ginko powder
    banana powder
    carrot powder
    orange powder
    pineapple powder
    raspberry powder
    strawberry powder
    yacon powder
    bifodobacterium longum
    lactobacillus bulgaricus
    lactobacillus casei
    sacha inchi
    flax seed
    chia seed
    apple fiber powder
    MSM
    pea fiber
    quinoa
    amylase
    papain
    cellulase
    lactase
    lipase
    protease
    bromelain
    amaranth
    grape seed extract
    green tea extract
    natural sweetener blend
    cocoa powder
    xanthan gum
    chocolate powder
    lol.

Most of those things have no proven benefit beyond being anti-oxidants. Also, humans aren't meant to eat grass.
This discussion has been closed.