ladies time of the month qIuestions ? sorry gentleman

Options

Replies

• Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you drink plenty of water and keep up the exercise. You feel so much better for it, and both keep the gains in check (from water and from snack cravings).
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I get my period and I crave something I just eat it but with moderation, like:

If I want ice cream I will go and buy ice cream, but instead of buying a gallon of ice cream I will buy a mini size.
    If I want chocolate cake I will make a mug-cake on the microwave. It works for me because I get my cravings in control while not going way over my calorie limits.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Be sure to eat lots of fruit and vegetables and get plenty of protein. Your body is crying out for more nutrition, and will keep calling for more food and more food to get it. Having said that, eating at maintenance for 2-3 days seems to work for me, making sure that I meet my macronutrient targets first so that I have room to splurge on things like cheeseburgers and fries. Definitely do exercise. It can be as light as it needs to be for your comfort, but skipping it won't make it better.

And ignore the water weight that you put on. There's nothing you can do about it except wait it out.
  • Transformer711
    Options
    I tend to find that my appetite completely goes just before and on the first day of aunt flow's visit!
  • toad_allyinlove
    toad_allyinlove Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My thing is I'm not very regular I'm all over the place so when I start getting this cravings and feel really hungry ,I'm like what is wrong with me . Then I get my period and I'm like that explains it. I feel so big. What also was odd is within a day difference I lost two pounds ? I weighed my self the day before I got my period and the day after. (I checked the scale and everyone in my house weighed the same.)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I know this won't win me very many friends but I actually do NOT gain weight or experience extra hunger during my period.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Apology accepted. Just don't do it again :angry:
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't really crave much but the bloating is killer! lol but I don't weigh myself much just as long as I am on track.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You actually burn about 500 extra calories per day.

Is this true?!!!:noway: I mean I always feel I want to eat this much over (or more) haha
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know this won't win me very many friends but I actually do NOT gain weight or experience extra hunger during my period.

I don't experience extra hunger either. I actually feel less hungry because I do get cramps and nausea. And I have no idea if I gain weight because I don't bother weighing myself for a few days.

Oh, but I am bothered by bloating. Sometimes I take a diuretic for that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You actually burn about 500 extra calories per day.

Is this true?!!!:noway: I mean I always feel I want to eat this much over (or more) haha

I'm not buying it. Documentation?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You lost two pounds because of water retention. Your whole body can retain it so you may not even "see" the difference, but it's there. If your period is not regular, try using a period tracker on your phone or computer if you don't already to keep track of symptoms, physical and emotional, to see if you have patterns you aren't aware of. It's frustrating because bodies change over time too, so sometimes you have to get reacquainted with your own symptoms. There are so many some aren't even aware are menstrual related. People talk about food cravings, but some women are also physically much more hungry, sometimes it seems in spite of what and how much they eat. Some women are exhausted.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I always get massive cravings , eat more and gain a bit of weight (that leaves right away) during my period
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You lost two pounds because of water retention. Your whole body can retain it so you may not even "see" the difference, but it's there. If your period is not regular, try using a period tracker on your phone or computer if you don't already to keep track of symptoms, physical and emotional, to see if you have patterns you aren't aware of. It's frustrating because bodies change over time too, so sometimes you have to get reacquainted with your own symptoms. There are so many some aren't even aware are menstrual related. People talk about food cravings, but some women are also physically much more hungry, sometimes it seems in spite of what and how much they eat. Some women are exhausted.

Yeah, I feel extra tired.

For tracking your cycles there is a great book: Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I will allow myself an extra 200-300 calories for 2-3 days around that time of the month. this way, I can accommodate some of my cravings and feel like I've kept to my goal...which is a hell of a lot better than going over, feeling bad about it, and deciding to eat some more because screw it I've already messed up my day!. I still eat under maintenance, but giving myself that permission for some extra chocolate or ice cream or bready treat helps me emotionally.

as for extra weight...I've heard some women say they gain up to 8 pounds! For me, it's more like 2-3...I don't usually weight in those weeks though.
  • chantalscott1
    chantalscott1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always feel peckish and more-ish coming up to my period. Hope I don't become like that 24/7 when I become pregnant one day or I will literally be the size of a double decker bus.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I usually have one or two days of wanting to eat anything that's not nailed down, but as long as it's not an extra 1000 calories or something, it all evens out with overall mindful eating, use your week's calories as a goal rather than just every individual day.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't get any more hungry than usual, but I do gain weight. This is because you're holding onto extra water, it'll be gone by the time it's over :)
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself often enough to know if it makes a difference to my weight, but I do feel hungrier the week before.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why do these threads always contain apologies to men? I don't get it