25 pounds makes a big difference!

Options
So I've been training for this fitness test I have to pass to get my wildland firefighter certs. I was doing 4-6 miles on the treadmill a day for a couple weeks without added weight, and then got sidetracked when I got asked to help with some catering jobs and then applying for jobs and doing some training coursework. I realize the test is only 4 weeks away, so I really need to start walking with my weighted vest so I'm ready for the test when I have to carry a 45 pound pack.

I put 25 pounds in the vest, seems pretty comfortable, warm up a lap, and then walk the proper speed (4 mph minimum) for 1 lap and I am about to die! (I have very short legs, so have to walk really fast! No jogging allowed in the test!) My heart rate was up around 160 that entire lap and my right foot was pretty uncomfortable! I wear minimalist running shoes, which are normally perfectly fine for jogging or long walks, but I'll definitely need to wear my boots for this! 25 pounds doesn't seem like a lot after reading about people losing 90-100 pounds on this website, but even losing a little weight can really reduce wear and tear on your body!

I have a rough 4 weeks a head of me! I think if I walk or jog every day with the weighted vest this week, then put 7-10 pounds total each week up to 50 total pounds, I'll be good and it will feel light taking 5 pounds out for the test January 17th!

My goal for 2015 is to weigh LESS with my 45 pound pack than I do right now!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Unless your test is going to be taken in a treadmill you'd beat start pounding some actual pavement right now. And you're going to want to start using the whole 45 pounds as quickly as possible. You're really cutting this one close. There's no late night cramming for PT
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    25 pounds is a lot of weight. I realized how much when I picked up a 25 pound sack of dry dog food. Shocking to realize I've lost two of those sacks. We sometimes don't realize how much weight it is until we pick up something else that weighs that amount.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I reckon go straight to the highest weight and like the above poster said, start hitting pavement straight away! Do it everyday with the highest weight and cross your fingers for luck :p
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It just snowed 12 inches tonight, so there really isn't much pavement to hit right now! :D I am going to work hard, but not injure myself doing it. Fire season doesn't start until April or May at the earliest, and I'll have other opportunities to take the fitness part before then if I'm not completely ready yet. I think I can do it once I get back in the swing of thing. I'm used to moving very heavy gear around from my work on commercial fishing boats, I'm just coming of a week of sitting on the couch doing computer work, and my body REALLY didn't like it!

With my luck the darn test won't even happen! The first year I did the training, it was so cold the drip torch fuel wouldn't light and got such bad tendinitis from wearing high heels on New Years Eve I couldn't complete the physical part of the test and missed the entire fire season, which led me to a different career as a biologist on fishing boats, and last year it got snowed out and I ended up going back to the boats before I could retake the test. It is like the universe is trying to keep me from it! Well, I survived 3 years on the Bering Sea, so the universe is just going to have to work a bit harder to keep me down!
  • KarinNurse
    Options
    That's a great goal! Good luck with it and hope you'll make it. I'm hoping to loose around 45 pounds too! And hopefully next year I reach my goal by the holidays! :D
  • rgugs13
    Options
    The walk went much better today with boots on! I know there aren't any proven benefits to wearing compression socks during workout, but also glad I wore them! Once I got past the first mile, I could have gone farther, but 3 miles was enough for tonight! I'll do 3 miles at speed Monday, and add more weight to the vest on Tuesday!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My sister all 5 ft and a 100lbs of her did the pack test several times after high school since she was on the hot shot and helitack crew for several years. I think you will do great. It was amazing that she packed basically half her own weight. Good luck to you
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing a 25 lb vest with somebody who is a way, way better runner than me, and he says dont do it, its too much of a pounding strain on knees, back, etc. FWIW.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It is pretty amazing once you drop some weight and then have to carry what you were carrying all along. I had lost 40-50lbs and was carrying a bag if kitty litter to the basement, and thought, this is what I used to carry all the time, no wonder I was always run down!
  • rgugs13
    Options
    Just put 48 pounds total in the weight vest! Why does it feel so much heavier than my 45 pound nephew!? I can lift and swing him around all day! I strained a muscle in my neck sleeping funny, so taking down intensity for a few days. I've slept on rolling boats and on the ground or in my car for weeks at a time, but a bed and down pillow can take me out for 3 days! Pack test in 2 weeks! I think I have a good marching stride that works the best for getting the pace right!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    2 suggestions for you
    1) shift the weight out of the vest and into a backpack. That is what you will be tested on!
    and
    2) don't forget a rest day recovery is important as you near test day
    wishing you good luck!