sticking to my calorie goal but not sugar

Options
my aim is to loose a tiny amount 4lbs I'm supposed to loose half a pound a week, i'm sticking to the calorie goal 1480 but my sugar goal is always more. could this be the reason I'm not losing weight

thanks

Replies

• michaelsontag
    Options
    Are you doing any exercise?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you eat more sugar than MFP suggests but you hit your calorie goal? All that matters to weight loss really is your calories.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    unless you are diabetic or have some other health issue, the sugar "goal" is not important at all. Actually, it isn't a MAX number even though MFP turns it red if you go over.
  • emilysmall1
    emilysmall1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i exercise min once a week max 3 times
  • latewinter
    Options
    lol aslong as your calori intake is a defecit you should lose weight. 1 funsized banana usually puts me in risk of going over my sugar which sucks because I LOVE bananas lol
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If you arent losing weight, it isn't because of sugar. Sugar is a carb, so you already track it. Put fiber there or something. How accurate is your logging? Weighing and measuring your food? Barring medical issues, if you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit.
  • KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I usually go over on my sugar because I start my day out with a banana and an apple. Those two things put me over my sugar but I still loose weight. Just take it one day at a time and eat at a deficit and it will start to work.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugar almost every day and I still drop 1 pound per week. Sugar doesn't make you gain weight though it can if there are medical issues involved. Have you gone to your doctor and done a fasting blood run? Might be worth going in for a check up which is suggested as a regular thing during weight loss anyways.

Another suggestion would be to drop your calorie intake down just a little.

The body is a mysterious thing. We can all give you advice but none of us know what is going on in your body. You should see a doctor and discuss it with them to get some more insight.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    again, the MFP sugars metric is being misused and misunderstood. See page 27:
    http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/dietaryguidelines/2010/policydoc/chapter3.pdf
  • emilysmall1
    emilysmall1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i've finally lost weight yay
  • supervy
    Options
    Be careful with sugar - too much sugar, especially refined sugar can cause fat to store around the stomach, hips, upper thighs and upper arms, especially on women.

Even sugar from fruit can ferment and turn to fat, to avoid this fruit is best eaten in the morning before protein. So it has more time to digest before turning to sugar.

People often think fat is worse than sugar, but really healthy fats like olive oil, avocados, nuts and a lot more beneficial for your health and weight loss. Avoid high sugar food such as cereals, fruit juice and processed foods and eat a diet rich in protein, vegetables and healthy fat.

Weight loss is not just about calories, it is about the quality of the calories.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Even sugar from fruit can ferment and turn to fat...

That is unadulterated nonsense.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    lol I ignore the sugar goal on MFP because I always go over! It is mostly from fruit, which I have no intention of cutting from my meals! And I eat the fruit whenever I want , never heard of this eat fruit at a certain time bs :huh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Be careful with sugar - too much sugar, especially refined sugar can cause fat to store around the stomach, hips, upper thighs and upper arms, especially on women.

Even sugar from fruit can ferment and turn to fat, to avoid this fruit is best eaten in the morning before protein. So it has more time to digest before turning to sugar.

People often think fat is worse than sugar, but really healthy fats like olive oil, avocados, nuts and a lot more beneficial for your health and weight loss. Avoid high sugar food such as cereals, fruit juice and processed foods and eat a diet rich in protein, vegetables and healthy fat.

Weight loss is not just about calories, it is about the quality of the calories.

OP - this is nonsense and should not be taken seriously…

too much sugar does not make you fat; eating over maintenance makes your fat...
  • supervy
    Options

OP - this is nonsense and should not be taken seriously…

too much sugar does not make you fat; eating over maintenance makes your fat...

I would advice anyone who believes my previous comment is nothing but nonsense should do some research into the negative effects of sugar on an overweight generation of people. The facts are eye opening and should not be ignored if looking to improve health for the long term.

I recommend this article, published in acclaimed British newspaper The Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/mar/20/sugar-deadly-obesity-epidemic

Refined sugar is one of the worst things a person can have in their regular diet, cutting down as much as possible will not just change weight and fat percentage, but can help focus and quality of sleep.
  • jcolier
    Options
    Refined sugar is one of the worst things a person can have in their regular diet

Agreed. When you eat sugar, insulin in your body is released to transport the sugar / carbs to cells. Insulin also tells fat cells not to release fat - why release fat when your body is busy burning sugar and carbs? Stop eating sugar, limit your carb intake, and let your body burn the fat it has.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm on a "low carb diet" and I still exceed the recommended sugar limit most days. This is because of the sugars that naturally occur in the vegetables and fruits that I eat. I wouldn't worry about sugar. I've changed my settings to track fibre instead and I aim to exceed this.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sugar is calculated into a carb so if you're sticking to your macros eat whatever you want.