Knee Injury

Options
I am doing C25K and am currently on week 3. A couple of days ago my knee started hurting for an unknown reason, possibly due to running in shoes that aren't supportive enough. Yesterday I ran again and pushed through, but had shooting pain every time I would step down on that leg. I also walked around the mall a lot yesterday. Well today I go to work and find that I am having difficulty walking due to the pain. I don't want to give up on C25k but I want my knee to heal. Do you think the elliptical is safe to try? I am worried about stopping cardio all together as I am doing Biggest Loser at work!! I am currently working out 4x week for about 30 mins and that seems to be working great. Any suggestions on what I can do for cardio without hurting my knee furthur?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    You should have a dr check it. Depends on what is wrong as to wether the elliptical will be ok. I have one knee that hurts, but the elliptical doesn't bother it.
  • Susan57
    Susan57 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    can u bike, u need to rest ur knees.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    RICE - rest,ice,compression,elevation and have a Dr check it out -- depending on the injury you could just make things worse continuing/switching workouts!
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a bad right knee. I always do the elliptical, it is alot less stress on the joints :)
  • cocacole77
    Options
    Lighten up on any exercise like running...run half of what you run. I run 4-6 miles a day and when my knees hurt I half that and also run at a slower pace. Hurting joints is part of running UNLESS the pain is unbearable then you need to get it checked out. Most of the time pain in your knees is due to the muscles that are weak and need to be strengthened so don't STOP working out...just go easy on your knee. Also do other cardio workouts like bicycling!
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    I read more about it and I definitely have Runner's Knee. It looks like most people that have it can use the elliptical while it heals...I will call my doctor just to check. Thanks!
  • romzana
    romzana Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    have a dr check it out
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    ice it at night for a bit.
    I am doing some PT for my knee pain right now for a similiar sounding problem. I also started wearing Patella/Knee wrap, and that helps.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Knee brace, alternate heat and cold, some icy hot before bed never hurts. I'd recommend biking and the elliptical. Use the time to focus on some upper body strength training; with more muscle you'll burn more calories when you get back to training hard.
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yeah I stopped at Walgreens and picked up a knee brace thing, they have two different kinds for runners knee and the first one I bought was just the single strap that goes under the knee cap, it works pretty well but the other day I was on my way to the gym and I had forgotten it at home so I stopped in again and got the one that goes under and over the knee and IT WAS AMAZING. It did a way better job of keeping my knee from hurting at all and I pounded it hard for over an hour.

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/Knee_Jumpers_Strap.htm <--- the first one. I wear this almost all the time now for support while it heals.
    http://www.muellersportsmed.com/Knee_Max_Strap.htm <--- the new one I got, I use this one while running or working out for the added support
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    RICE - rest,ice,compression,elevation and have a Dr check it out -- depending on the injury you could just make things worse continuing/switching workouts!

AGREED AGREED AGREED!!!! definitely RICE and dr!