Was 2013 the year of change

Options
Was 2013 the year of change for you?!

For me it definitely was. I started out the year self conscious, barely even able to look in a mirror and sitting at 300 pounds. I took the initiative to change and do something about it! i started just jogging around my neighborhood, and now 1 year later im 60 pounds light, i have new found confidence and can actually look in a mirror! I couldnt have done it without this forum too! :)

So how did your year go!!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

For me it definitely was. I started out the year self conscious, barely even able to look in a mirror and sitting at 300 pounds. I took the initiative to change and do something about it! i started just jogging around my neighborhood, and now 1 year later im 60 pounds light, i have new found confidence and can actually look in a mirror! I couldnt have done it without this forum too! :)

Congratulations on your progress!!!! :-) That is awesome.

For me 2013 was the best yet re: health & weight loss, but it has been a gradual progression!

Nov 2008 is where my journey started. I usually HATE when people call it a journey. But I'll say that this one time ;-) I was at 307 lb - all time high weight. I knew I needed to make a change. I went out & bought myself some "athletic" clothes (tracksuits) and started walking religiously.

2009-2010 I walked more and more. I didn't weigh myself but I found that I was replacing my 3X shirts with 2X and that was enough for me. I made SMALL changes in my diet, less fast food and more home cooked meals for example.

2011 went through a lot of crazy stuff in my life (natural disaster, move, job changes). Fell off the wagon re: exercise. Realized I had developed some pretty good habits with my diet and was eating better.

2012 I was weighed at the doctor's office and 271 sounded great to me after the last time I weighed (in '08) being over 300.
    I got a divorce that year and also met my current husband shortly after. His super healthy diet and great fitness habits started rubbing off on me, but I only lost 9 lb.

2013...March 25, I got fed up with the fact that my drastically different diet and better exercise habits had only resulted in a 9 lb loss over nearly 1 year! I knew other people who made the same or similar changes and lost a lot of weight and I felt something had to be wrong with my body. I purchased a scale and joined MFP almost as a challenge to see if there was something wrong with me. There wasn't. I set MFP to lose 1.5 lb per week and I've lost almost exactly that, averaged out, since joining.

Losing almost 60 lb this year has got me down to 204 lb, which is lighter than I've EVER been as an adult. I have not worn size 16 since I was in jr high so it is surreal for me, and I love it. However I still feel like the hardest "work" of losing weight was the 2008-2011 time period when I was just stabbing in the dark at what to eat and how much.

I love this site. It's definitely played a big role in accelerating my progress :-)
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    This year I got back to the weight I think of as base zero for my adult weight. Feels pretty good considering how much more above this weight I was. But I can't wait to see my progress next year because everything will be less than what I see as my usual adult weight!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Congratulations on your progress!!!! :-) That is awesome.

For me 2013 was the best yet re: health & weight loss, but it has been a gradual progression!

Nov 2008 is where my journey started. I usually HATE when people call it a journey. But I'll say that this one time ;-) I was at 307 lb - all time high weight. I knew I needed to make a change. I went out & bought myself some "athletic" clothes (tracksuits) and started walking religiously.

2009-2010 I walked more and more. I didn't weigh myself but I found that I was replacing my 3X shirts with 2X and that was enough for me. I made SMALL changes in my diet, less fast food and more home cooked meals for example.

2011 went through a lot of crazy stuff in my life (natural disaster, move, job changes). Fell off the wagon re: exercise. Realized I had developed some pretty good habits with my diet and was eating better.

2012 I was weighed at the doctor's office and 271 sounded great to me after the last time I weighed (in '08) being over 300.
    I got a divorce that year and also met my current husband shortly after. His super healthy diet and great fitness habits started rubbing off on me, but I only lost 9 lb.

2013...March 25, I got fed up with the fact that my drastically different diet and better exercise habits had only resulted in a 9 lb loss over nearly 1 year! I knew other people who made the same or similar changes and lost a lot of weight and I felt something had to be wrong with my body. I purchased a scale and joined MFP almost as a challenge to see if there was something wrong with me. There wasn't. I set MFP to lose 1.5 lb per week and I've lost almost exactly that, averaged out, since joining.

Losing almost 60 lb this year has got me down to 204 lb, which is lighter than I've EVER been as an adult. I have not worn size 16 since I was in jr high so it is surreal for me, and I love it. However I still feel like the hardest "work" of losing weight was the 2008-2011 time period when I was just stabbing in the dark at what to eat and how much.

I love this site. It's definitely played a big role in accelerating my progress :-)

I'm quoting everything because you are awesome and your dedication is inspiring.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success :)

Its been a massive year, well actually almost 9 months of change for me. In March I was 303lbs, I'm now 219lbs. In March I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath, now I love running and regularly run 5ks, 10ks and am signed up for a half marathon in 2014. I enjoy eating healthily and at last have found the lifestyle change that I really should have made years ago. I still have a lot of weight to lose but I now know I can lose it slowly, steadily and in a way that means when I reach maintenance I can keep the weight off.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    this year went in both directions. I slowly gained weight over a few years but sky rocketed to my heaviest of 230 by June, a big yikes! So I guess this year is when I stopped ignoring and denying that I was fat! Lost a little weight in the summer just from being active but really started in October and am down to 210. Lots more to go but this year was my mental change year and I am confident next year is going to be my big body change year :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yes it was!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Yes, I started trying to lose weight in February '13, and right now I'm 110lb lighter (started at 308lb, now 198lb, Finally under the 200's!!!! WooHoooooooo.

Wishing everyone their continued successes in 2014. :heart:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I'm quoting everything because you are awesome and your dedication is inspiring.

aww thank you so much!!!
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yep! Check out my profile pic, over there <

The pic on the left is from last year's Christmas party. The one on the right is from this year's. :smile: People are always asking how I did it. It's a simple formula: eat fewer calories than I use up, and exercise regularly. I finally found exercise I enjoy, so that helped, a lot!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It was for me for sure. I decided in September that I will take my weight loss goal seriously and got it done!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not to be the negative nancy but this year was NOT the year of change for me. had some good things happen but this year was a whole lot of bad. And the stress of it all was very damaging for me.

Congrats to you. Since this year is nearly done, I'm looking forward to next year. I'm hoping next year will be my year. But I'm starting my changes now in small ways. :)
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    for me it was the year of change. I decided to lose weight Feb 2012 and spent the entire year trying but not getting far. Lost 13 lbs. In Jan 2013 I decided it was time for a change and I really got dedicated. joined a gym and took classes to get in shape. Between jan and april I lost 10 more pounds.

Then I found MFP... Between april and now, I have lost 39 pounds. I learned that I need to eat more to lose and wow what a difference this time around has been. I must say I work hard but this was the easiest time I have ever had losing weight.

I workout with a trainer 3 days a week, walk or workout on my own 1-2 additional days a week, count my calories and eat as many of them as I can.

2014 will have me doing body re composition while I build muscle and get even more fit. I am looking forward to it all and cant wait to see what the new changes will be.
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes it was...my year started off with no particular desire to change but changed on March 15 when my sister came over to talk to me about Skinny Fibre, a diet pill sold in the US. I try to be supportive so I said I would give it a try. Well I tried it for a month and lost 5 pounds. That turned out to be the kick start I needed. I did not continue on with the pill as it really is about diet and exercise. I am also a T1 diabetic and found that it definately had an impact on my diabetes that I did not like. However I continued on with the diet and exercise. So here it is 9 months later and I am 62 pounds lighter from my starting weight of 214 pounds. My BMI is in the normal range and I have more energy than I have had in a very long time. I have started running and love it! It really has been a great year...looking forward to see what fitness level I can reach in 2014.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yes it was! I started eating better, I hired a personal trainer, I started weight lifting, I started running, I discovered my inner athlete, and I found a much happier me hiding inside. I'm 69 pounds down & still going strong.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on everyone's success! I've had two successes happen this year. I lost 60lbs between May 2012-Aug 2013, which helped give my husband and I a surprise... we're expecting our first child, due March 2014 :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Congrats! 2013 has been one crazy year. I was diagnosed with a rare brain disorder, had brain surgery to alleviate the symptoms and came back with a vengeance to stay fit despite my difficult situation. I am blessed and thankful to be alive, well and kicking *kitten*!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    In 2013 I lost 16.8kg (37lb) and hit my original goal weight. I started 2013 off in a month long plateau and almost gave up, but something inside told me not to quit!

Other things I did....
    - Fit into a size 14 (haven't been that small since I was 12) plus hit my smallest adult weight ever
    - Joined the gym
    - Started taking responsibility more
    - Put study and logging first
    - Discovered new foods I love
    - Celebrated 4 years with my fiance
    - Halfway through my nursing degree

2014 will consist of me focusing on fitness, losing the last 4kg and maintaining.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Great year! The year I reached my goal weight and felt like I was in control of it the whole year through. The year of surgery and two darling physiotherapists who still cheer me on with my recovery. Also, it was the year of just starting to lift more consistently, finally after years of just "doing what I could".

Even better, 2013 is the year of being alone with my husband almost daily! This was unheard of for the last twenty years and now that my children are grown, I'm feeling the freedom and I'm quite sure there won't be any empty nest stuff happening here:)
    2013 is also the year that my husband and I just kept going away on mini or week long vacations without a worry just to play and be less responsible:)
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Congrats! 2013 has been one crazy year. I was diagnosed with a rare brain disorder, had brain surgery to alleviate the symptoms and came back with a vengeance to stay fit despite my difficult situation. I am blessed and thankful to be alive, well and kicking *kitten*!

One crazy crazy year ! :):flowerforyou:
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Year of Change? Yes! I lost 10 lbs, even with some slips down the slope. I am back in the saddle and want to lose another 20. Slowly. It's fascinating to see one's body scream for change, and it's wonderful to see good results! Congrats to all with a good year behind and a better year ahead!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!