burning calories

Options
Does anyone know how many calories you burn raking leaves for 3 hours?

Replies

• emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    when i do anything like a miscellaneous chore, i log it in under "cleaning, light moderate effort" or "cleaning, heavy vigorous effort". depending on how much energy i exerted. cause some times i take my time and don't feel like i'm putting in a lot of gusto and sometimes i work fast, furious, and sweat. ..............whether i'm vacuuming, organizing, etc. hope this helps :smile:

good question though. curious to see what others post :glasses:
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    they might have it listed on caloriesperhour.com
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    For anything I consider exercise, I strap on my heart rate monitor! Perhaps you can purchase an inexepensive HRM and and just log the calories burned that it tells you. That's the best estimator, really.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi!

You could put what MFP database has or you could invest in a heart rate monitor to know exactly what you are burning :smile:
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Go under the Exercise tracker and search raking and Iit should come up...If it was a vigorous raking then you can burn some really good calories
    Good luck
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is the way to go. It is so helpful!
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    It did come up for raking lawn on the fitness pal site!
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    I don't mean to be negative about it, but isn't raking just part of "life" and perhaps that "life" of yours is an active one - awesome. I think a person could get in trouble looking at raking as an exercise.... sure it is great because you are moving outside, but we humans were designed to do so much of the time. I guess my point is when I do activities through my day, such as running up and down stairs in my house 20 times plus, raking, cleaning, laundry, I just chalk it up to an active day. A day as it should be. We were not intended to sit on a couch and document anything beyond that as extraneous effort.

Please don't think I am being critical of you, I am only thinking out loud about what we tend to log as "fitness and exercise" here on mfp. Honestly, the only thing I log as exercise is anything that is outside of my daily activities .... weight training, running a treadmill, circuit training, etc. BUT, I do have myself down as a "very active".. and by all means never eat your exercise calories. It's a waste.