Has anyone else noticed a difference since...

Options
...adopting a healthier diet?

I used to be severely affected emotionally and physically when I went too long between meals (by too long I mean 4 - 6 hours). I would become extremely agitated and sometimes down right mean (or as Justin calls it 'Bear Mode', yes it was bad enough to be named) .

Since dropping refined sugar from my diet as well as wheat and majorly increasing fruits and veggies it doesn't happen anymore..... at all.

I had a small Breakfast the other morning (7am) and when 2 pm hit while I was very hungry I didn't feel off kilter at all. I remained in a good mood and clear headed and had lunch as soon as I was able. I'm no longer thinking about the next meal and have not had any 'meal related moodiness' for well over a month now.

I have a feeling that the sugar is the main culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this with a change to a healthier diet or am I just crazy?

Replies

• nurse_jenie
    Options
    I sleep better and it is far easier for me to wake up in the mornings than it use to be. I also like that I can officially sit infront of a bunch of food and not eat everything in sight:happy:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Nope not crazy!! I have found the same thing!!
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I notice that I am a lot more energized! Before I would get back from an my hour long biology class and would just want to lay around the rest of the day. Now when I get home, I am ready to workout or to accomplish some cleaning/homework. Thats mainly from eating less though. Due to a tight college budget, I am prone to pb &j sandwiches and macaroni. I do incoperate fruits and lean proteins when I can afford them. After this week, I start getting normal paychecks and will be able to eat way more healthy foods. Can't wait to feel the differences then!
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    They claim Sugar doesn't do that, but I have a young son that can be something else when on a sugar high and subsequent crash.

I think you are on the right track and as long as you eat something substantial from a protein/fiber content that will stay with you, the crash may be avoided.

I think the more you can stick with healthier choices and stay away from processed food the better off you are.
  • piquilter
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes..........I FORGET to eat. How weird is that?? Like today I have a bunch of calories to use up :noway: I drink lots & lots of water too so I think that helps, but where the next morsel is coming from doesn't consume me. That & the fact that I have a 'ton' of digital pics to edit :laugh:
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    My moods are better when I eat well but the place I REALLY notice a change when I stop eating added sugar is my face. I break out SO badly and my face gets all itchy (strange I know) when I eat a lot of sugary foods.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I sleep better at night (though the exercise probably helps with that) so far that this the biggest thing I have noticed...and I don't feel like I need to nap during the day anymore
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think we are allergic to so many things and we dont know it. Once we cut out certain things and we feel better and act better you can really see how food affects our bodies and mind.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm very pleased that I have lost weight and I maybe can do some things a litle easier, but unfortunately I haven't seen any change in my moods or life in general.

Wish I could say I did, but no. If anything I am a little depressed that I feel so much colder.
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually noticed the mood thing until you brought it up, yes! I like that I don't get very hungry in between meals. I also love how I eat less! On my splurge meal, I went to In-n-out and got a grilled cheese (hamburger with no meat) and fries. I ended up feeling so full from the burger alone, that had to give away the fries! No temptation to put more fat in my body.
  • niknok28
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! It's good to know the positive changes others are experiencing! It certainly sealed the deal for me as far as continuing this wonderful way of life.

Potluck965: Hang in there :) I do get what you mean about getting cold easier though. :)
  • niknok28
    Options
    I think we are allergic to so many things and we dont know it. Once we cut out certain things and we feel better and act better you can really see how food affects our bodies and mind.

I agree while I didn't notice a change after getting rid of wheat gluten (as far as when I ate some again after being off for a while) My boyfriend stopped having what he described as heartburn after dropping it and when he did eat some bread a month later he almost immediately reacted to it.