Heartrate question

Options
When I go to the gym (4 times a week), I push myself really hard when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical. My heartrate is usually between 152 - 174. My max heart rate is 191 and everything I've read said to burn the most I should be working out between 70 - 85% of this meaning 133 to 162. If my heartrate is too high, does this mean I'm sabbotaging my workout and should ease up a bit? I've never monitored myself before when exercising until I got a gym membership so this is all new to me.

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless its too high personally, I just get on with exercising rather than watching my HR. The only thing I use it for is to track my calories. I'm sure some people keep a closer eye on it but I don't think you're sabotaging your workout.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would say do not worry about the heart rate till the time you can handle it.
    If its too high for you, you will be uncomfortable yourself..just concentrate on your workouts and the amount of calories you are burning. Are you using any HRM for counting calories burn?
    I am always just worried about how much I have burned and eaten and about my workout routines thats all.
  • sethwdyer
    sethwdyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they say to keep it at 70%-85% just so you won't prematurely burn out. If you're not having that issue and you don't have a heart condition I don't think it really matters.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I usually tend to be between 150-165 when I am working out, my trainer told me to keep it between the 150-160's. Not sure if it's an issue to go a bit higher. I would think 172 isn't like danger zone or anything though.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're using your calculated max HR as 191. This number can be off by up to 20 bpm. The only way to really find your max HR is to tes yourself (under supervision).

I know this from experience. One day, I went for a run and decided to sprint up a hill. My calculated max HR was 194 at the time, but I hit 202 bpm and still felt fine at the top of the hill. I probably could have hit 205-210 bpm.

Unless you're training to be a competitive athlete, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep up what you're doing. The higher your heart rate is, the mroe calories you will burn. The only difference is the type of calories you will burn at the time of your workout.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Unless you are training in HR zones for a specific fitness goal, the whole "fat burning zone" is of no importance. It does not mean burning more fat total, but more fat as a percent of total calories burned. When you work out at a higher intensity with a higher HR you burn less fat by percentage of the total calories burned, but you burn not only more calories total, but more often than not more fat calories total.

Add to this that the deficit you created through the exercise, even if it was using glycogen (what carbs are turned into for energy to your muscles and brain) at the higher HR means the carbs you eat go the replenish your stores of glycogen in your muscles and liver and your body will use stored fat to provide for your other energy needs meaning that energy expended exercising eventually is used from fat when you are in a calorie deficit.

To put it short and sweet. If you are in a calorie deficit you will burn fat regardless of what HR zone you are in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is 191 your actual tested max heartrate or just the estimated max heartrate for your age?

Heartrate zone training should really be about training to support your goals, endurance, aerobic capacity as examples.

The 70 - 85% range you describe encompasses what I would call zone 2 (base training) and zone 3 (development of aerobic capacity), but beware there are different zone classifications in use.

If you are training purely for calorie burning then you can't really sabotage your workout as long as you can maintain that rate without getting distressed.