Losing weight and dating....

Options
So I have always been turned down (and still do get turned down constantly) because of my size, weight, bod, etc. I have always thought that if those men who have turned me down would just get to know me they would see that I am a really great person. Why do they have to base their opinion of me solely on my looks.

Fast forward to today. I have lost nearly 80 pounds from my heaviest weight ever. And I know I am still so far from being where I want to be, but I am closer than I have been in over 15 years. I am actively dating again and finding myself in the shoes of those men who had turned me down before. I find myself having to turn away men who I am sure are great people but that I am not physically attracted to at all. This makes me feel horrible as I have essentially turned into the men that I despised for so long. I hate to be mean to people.

How has losing your weight and gaining confidence affected your dating life??

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    So I have always been turned down (and still do get turned down constantly) because of my size, weight, bod, etc. I have always thought that if those men who have turned me down would just get to know me they would see that I am a really great person. Why do they have to base their opinion of me solely on my looks.

Fast forward to today. I have lost nearly 80 pounds from my heaviest weight ever. And I know I am still so far from being where I want to be, but I am closer than I have been in over 15 years. I am actively dating again and finding myself in the shoes of those men who had turned me down before. I find myself having to turn away men who I am sure are great people but that I am not physically attracted to at all. This makes me feel horrible as I have essentially turned into the men that I despised for so long. I hate to be mean to people.

How has losing your weight and gaining confidence affected your dating life??

It isn't mean to not get romantically involved with someone you have no physical attraction to.
  • jcreazy
    jcreazy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wasn't attempting to lose weight when I mt my girlfriend but now she doesn't like that I am working out because she says I am going to leave her.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    thats not mean. just means u arent attracted to them. no fault in that. everyone is different. some men like bigger women. some dont. i was lucky my husband found me attractive in the first pic and still loves me when now that ive lost the weight and other guys hit on me right in front of him. yes some men are pigs. some men are fantastic. find the one who loves you for who you are inside and youve got a keeper
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As long as people aren't insulting about your weight I don't see anything wrong with someone saying they don't find you attractive... There are plenty of people I don't find attractive and I am sure lots of people don't find me attractive... Such is life, no big deal!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    A common axiom is "Men are visual creatures."

The truth is that PEOPLE are visual creatures - both men AND women. It's our nature so be attracted or not attracted to what we perceive as healthy or not healthy.

Being crude and hateful is not necessary. You don't have to be mean. Just remember how you felt when those guys were turning you down.

And be straightforward. No disappearing or giving them the wrong phone number. That's just cowardly. I hate it when guys do that. So don't do that. :)
  • eugovogue
    Options
    I've had this dilemma but not within the context of weight loss. Just within the context of dating in general.
    I always thought that me turning down guys (nicely) would create bad dating karma and I would get turned down (which I have)

But now I have come to learn that this is what dating is.

1) Why dishonor yourself and your time by continuing to be with someone you do not like? Is it because you think you cannot do better? I always give someone multiple chances (a few dates to get to know them) before I ax them. I feel this is fair. You never know what gems you miss when you blindly deny someone based on one date or one flirting session

2) Why disrespect someone by continuing to date them if you don't like them? That's harmful to the other person because they could have freed up time to be with someone they who actually likes them. Also--I've fell into the trap of continuing to date someone to spare their feelings (as if they need my pity) which is kind of a disgusting energy because it's like I'm doing them a favor.

Get clear about what you want in a man. Know that bad dates or bad chemistry aren't failures, but rather a crystallization of what you DON'T want so that you can get clear about what you do what.
    You are not obligated to like every human male just because you feel bad about the tables turning or don't want to hurt their feelings. You deserve to go after what you want, and you shall get it.
    Also--there are no missed opportunities. Beating yourself up that maybe that guy you turned down was the ONE or maybe that guy who turned you down was the ONE and you'll never get him are pitfalls of the mind. Don't fall into such traps. Divine timing, my friend.
    Happy dating!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in that exact situation. I never had problems getting dates when I was heavier and I can only think of one instance where I believe that I was rejected for size-related reasons...who knows...who cares. But anyway, I was a tiny bit hesitant to date my gorgeous fit husband when we first met due to him being so lean and active...and honestly now, if I found myself single and dating I would be seeking someone like that. Not just because I've lost weight and become more active, but because I have super high energy and love to be on the go...my former partners lacked energy partly due to weight issues. For me it's much more of an energy and sex drive issue and not the way they look. I can find a 300+ lb man attractive to look at but I'd rather have someone who can keep up with me, whatever I may weigh at the time. Edited to add: I am SURE there are very active men over that weight but that is just an example from past history of dating larger men.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    To address the issue of attraction, it is not "mean" or "horrible" to turn down a date with someone you don't find physically attractive. There are right and wrong ways to go about declining, but you don't have to apologize for not being attracted to someone who is clearly thinking about the potential for physical intimacy with you. Looks are the jumping off point. It's human nature.

As for how weight-loss has impacted my dating life, ironically, losing weight helped me see beyond physical attraction and determine what else I am looking for in a man. Dating is purposeful for me now; it's not recreational. I have a level of self-awareness and self-respect that I didn't have before. I am happy. My life is good. Being single isn't my first choice, but I know I can handle it now, and, thus, I am more resolved than ever not to settle. It has nothing to do with the way I look or the way a man looks and everything to do with the kind of life we would have.

This goes beyond mere dating, but one of the biggest things I've realized is that I don't just want to be married. I want be really, really, legendarily great at being someone's wife. That's important to me. It's something I want to fight for every day, like I fight for my strength and my health. Not every man is worth that kind of effort. And the ones who ARE worth it are a lot easier to see now.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    It is stupid to date someone you aren't attracted to. You don't need to feel bad about it.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I feel bad hurting feelings becasue my feeling were hurt when people said those things to me. I do see the importance of having a physical connection with someone you are dating, but hate to be mean in the process.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel bad hurting feelings becasue my feeling were hurt when people said those things to me. I do see the importance of having a physical connection with someone you are dating, but hate to be mean in the process.

but it's like ripping a band aid off- it's better to do it NOW quickly than string someone along and waste there time.

It isn't mean to waste someone's time. it's mean to baby them- they are grown *kitten* adults- if you aren't willing to accept NO and YES as possible answers.. then don't ask the question- they know that 'NO' is an answer.

is it easy? nope.
    but its' the adult- responsible decision.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    Are you talking about meeting someone in person and not have a physical attraction to them or looking at photos of potential dates online?

If you are not attracted to someone, you are not attracted to them, period. If you are around that person and find that even the personality doesn't excite you, move on - whether that person is thin or overweight is not going to make a difference.

Online is another story, very often photos are awful and very often photos are 10 years old and fabulous. I have a friend who used to be very heavy, then she lost a lot of weight. She started online dating. One guy reached out to her and she thought he was pretty awful physically, but she liked what he wrote - and she always said she would not base a guy on looks alone, she would want to meet him - because she had many years of being based on looks alone and it was awful. Long story short, she met him in person and he was much more fabulous in person that what he was online. Longer story now, she's married to that very man and they have two kids. She tells this story to many to try to prove a point, that you can't base a person (especially online dating) on looks alone.

My boyfriend and I met in person, years ago. He has known me at my heaviest and has known me at my thinnest. He has never complained, but he wants me to be happy, he doesn't like when I am uncomfortable. Like I said, we met in person. Good thing, because he never had luck with online dating. He is the most unphotogenic person ever, he looks like a psychopathic serial killer in many photos, LOL. I can honestly say I probably would have passed him up based on his bad photos.

You're not being mean, you're being honest with yourself with what you find attractive - but don't be unrealistic either, that will hinder you in meeting someone.

P.S. I also have a guy friend who is so not physically attractive (in my eyes), yet he has the greatest gift of gab and the best personality, he has no trouble meeting women, attractive and smart women.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    One more thing, if you meet the guy in person and you are not physically attracted to him, you don't have to tell him that, just tell him that you don't think there is a connection, you're not feeling it. - period. No need to hurt feelings.
  • Ozzzy66
    Ozzzy66 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As a married man I will tell you that I was not attracted to my wife in a physical way when I met her for the first time. I went on a date with her after being asked to by her sister. It took a few times of going out before I really got to know her and start falling for her. If I would have not went on that second date (the first was a blind date) I wouldn't be married for 10 years and have the two great kids I have now. Give them one date, if it works great, if not you have lost a little time, made a guy happy and got a free meal. I have went on dates with women I have found very attractive and found out I didn't like them after spending time with them. Good luck.
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As a married man I will tell you that I was not attracted to my wife in a physical way when I met her for the first time. I went on a date with her after being asked to by her sister. It took a few times of going out before I really got to know her and start falling for her. If I would have not went on that second date (the first was a blind date) I wouldn't be married for 10 years and have the two great kids I have now. Give them one date, if it works great, if not you have lost a little time, made a guy happy and got a free meal. I have went on dates with women I have found very attractive and found out I didn't like them after spending time with them. Good luck.

I have been on dates with ppl I initially didn't find physically attractive but after getting to know them I found them attractive as strange as that might seem. I personally go for a great smile and great personality .. but just me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I have been on dates with ppl I initially didn't find physically attractive but after getting to know them I found them attractive as strange as that might seem. I personally go for a great smile and great personality .. but just me.

it's valid- but I think there is a gray area- of MEH... some people are just really unattractive to me. Like someone who is extremely overweight- I would never accept that date- no matter how wonderful they are- it's just so far beyond my reach of "you have a great personality".. that's a thing for me.

my BF now (of 3 years) and the one prior- that last a year.. both are not hot. neither care so much about working out- but they are intelligent and treat me very well. But I would say they fall in the "meh" range of attractiveness- thankfully I'm not 100% all looks- I require smart people with a good sense of humor and brass balls... I'm brutal and I know it- so looks- while they are important- they are definitely not a deal breaker- but everyone has a range of "attractive"- "meh" and "oh hell no".
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Hate to be the bad guy here but maybe you were just a little oversensitive to rejection when you were overweight. Maybe people turned down dates with you for any number of reasons, to include that they potentially were already in a committed relationship. I think there are very few people in the world that haven't been rejected at one time or another in their lives. You just have to pick yourself up and dust it off. To project that these guys will be hurt by your rejection has more to do with your feelings then theirs. Just be polite.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Have the men who've turned you down told you that it was because of your weight, or are you just assuming it was?
    If that's the case, even skinny people get turned down! .. You can't assume it is because of you weight, they may just have not felt a connection, they may have not been ready for a relationship, there could be a million and one reasons. You can't go on a date etc feeling self conscious and thinking "oh they're going to turn me down because I'm overweight', because In thinking like that you could be coming across as elusive, so just relax.. be yourself.. and if you do get turned down, just dust yourself off and try again. :flowerforyou:
  • eidnahenri2
    Options
    People seem to assume that if other people don't find them attractive, it's because of whatever quality/trait/characteristic they're most uncomfortable with or self-conscious about. Sometimes it's true, but in my experience, it's usually something else entirely.

I've always been most attracted to the big cuddly teddy bear types (cuddly teddy bear-ish in both looks and personality), even when I was painfully thin myself. The appearance I'm attracted to has never changed with my own fluctuating weight. I've never really had a problem attracting men I find attractive, but when other people decided for me that I should go for someone who, in their opinions, "look better", those men have tended to also be lacking the kind of personality and/or other compatibilities I need for more than just casual dating. Not bad, just not what works for me.

A lot of people have said to me that people should only date people they "deserve"... thin people deserve thin people, fat people deserve fat people, fit/unfit, smart/not so smart, rich/poor, etc, should all only try to be with people like themselves. What a boring world it would be if that's how it really worked.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Several men have actually said, you are too big for me. Yes.

And I try to give a guy a second date to be sure I haven't missed something great. But by date two if I'm not feeling it, it's probably not going to be there. And then I gotta tell them.