How to dress when you're between sizes??

Options
Happy Monday!

Question for the ladies: I have been losing weight from my torso, hips and butt pretty steadily now. My size 8's sag on me at the waist and tummy but fit my muscular legs. And my size 6's fit perfectly on my waist and tummy but are too tight in the legs.

My goal is to be a solid size 6 (and then after that a size 4) eventually. But what should I do in the meantime? Do I just have to buy a size 8 and tailor it down? I am resistant to doing that because it sounds like a lot of money for pants that eventually wont fit. I'm a skinny jean girl, and like to wear pants for work instead of dresses or skirts (I realize dresses are easier to work with). All the dress slacks I've tried on and gotten from reputable places like Banana Rep, J Crew and Ann Taylor just don't work for me.

Any suggestions on where to shop, how to deal, and otherwise?

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Buy the 8s and tailor them down for the best look. Just find great deals on pieces you love and can use for almost anything. Find a good, cheap tailor. I go to a local guy who has a very small shop and therefore can negotiate pricing. What other places charge $30 for he charges $8. See what you can find and ask for recommendations.

You can also check out places like Marshall's for great deals or consignment stores even. That way when you are too small for them all over you won't feel guilty about spending $80 on jeans you hardly got to wear.

I believe, however, that the Limited does free tailoring if you purchase the clothes using their card. I'm not sure if this is just for getting things hemmed, though?

Spend a few extra bucks to look great!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    size 8's on clearance or from thrift stores with belts for now.

size 6's later.

many brands make jeans that fit around dangerous curves which might accomodate your thighs and rear. levi's has a line, so does kut from the cloth and etc. there are numerous threads on this titled big butts and the like. find them using your search button.

another idea...hue and others have something called jeggings. they will fit you well now until you get into those 6's and are reasonably priced as well.
  • debbynoelle
    Options
    I am having that exact problem right now! But with jean sizes. I am between a 16 and a 14, so annoying. I just am going to work extra hard to lose a few extra lbs and fit into those new 14 jeans!!

But you are small than me so I am sure it is harder to lose weight, so my advice is for you to not get discouraged, you will eventually fit into your dream size. I would try googling how to tailor your own clothes, it is really a lot easier than you would think!
  • greenhudler
    Options
    The larger size with a belt :). I do this for my job and it's been working great. I would tailor them, but honestly my hope isn't to stay at this size long enough to justify it :P
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much more weight you have to lose until you reach your goal, I would either just wear a belt in the meantime or purchase some clothes from a thrift store.

I myself cannot justify spending a lot of money on quality clothes that won't fit me in a few months (I've never spent hundreds of dollars on clothes to begin with either) - I work in an office, so apprearances are important, and haven't bought ANY new clothes and I'm down almost 30 pounds. I also knew that I could wait until I get to my goal until I bought more clothes because I didn't have a huge amount of weight (50+ lbs) to lose to begin with.

Just layer what you have and wear belts until you really can't stand it anymore, otherwise you'll be spending money to tailor new clothes only to get them tailored again. Seems silly and a waste of money to me :ohwell:
  • eugovogue
    Options

Just layer what you have and wear belts until you really can't stand it anymore, otherwise you'll be spending money to tailor new clothes only to get them tailored again. Seems silly and a waste of money to me :ohwell:

Yeah this is what I thought too. I can only do belts for some pants though--either some actually don't have the belt loops or some look really bunchy and silly with belts, especially with tops that aren't long.

I'll just work with what I got for now and see how my weight loss goes and tailor as a last resort.

Thanks all.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Yeah this is what I thought too. I can only do belts for some pants though--either some actually don't have the belt loops or some look really bunchy and silly with belts, especially with tops that aren't long.

I'll just work with what I got for now and see how my weight loss goes and tailor as a last resort.

Thanks all.

That's why I end up trying to wear longer tops with those pants that too bunch a little too much.

Like the ones I'm wearing now - they totally look like they're giving me some serious camel :noway: :laugh:

Try and be creative with what you have too - I find even wearing a pair of leggings underneath (which I've been doing for warmth more than for style) lessens the amount of weird bunching. Or I will wear a belt over a shirt that is getting too big and I find it looks better. And sweaters are your friend!