Getting over gym fear!!

Options
Heya,

Iv just joined gym (made financial sense as way paying out to way to many dif places for classes!) and I'm a bit apprehensive about using the gym bit. I don't mind classes cos ur in there to work hard and then u leave! But the gym area bit scares me a bit! I dont know why and I know it's stupid but I can't shake it! I think its cos im big! and sweat lots! N e one else like that? N e tips to help me switch off from this feeling of being watched!!

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Just remember why you are there... you are there to workout and get your sweat on! *F* everybody else and do what YOU need to do. When I get selfconscious about what other people are thinking, I tell myself, "who cares? who are these people to me? I don't know them! Why should I care what they think?" The more you start using the gym and being comfortable with the machines/exercises that you do, the more comfortable you will feel. Everybody sweats when they work out. Bring a towel and wipe off the machines after you are done. You paid your money to be there just like everybody else! :flowerforyou:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Heya,

Iv just joined gym (made financial sense as way paying out to way to many dif places for classes!) and I'm a bit apprehensive about using the gym bit. I don't mind classes cos ur in there to work hard and then u leave! But the gym area bit scares me a bit! I dont know why and I know it's stupid but I can't shake it! I think its cos im big! and sweat lots! N e one else like that? N e tips to help me switch off from this feeling of being watched!!
    I go to the gym all the time. Here is the way I look at peeps form my perspective. Big, small, tall or short, mad props for showing up. You are there to get healthy just like the rest of us. But that means get healthy. Seeing a girl walk for 2 hours on the treadmill and look EXACTLY the same day in and day out, to me, she is there for another reason. The girl who is hunched over looking like someone hit her face with a water balloon? Much respect. Guy throwing up massive weight with crappy form...back to school. Guys using smaller weights and perfect form...respect again. When I am on the treadmill doing sprints, the people on the TV look like they are having an earthquake. Doing intervals on the elliptical....I probably look like i am going to keel over.
    BUT...I showed up and I busted my *kitten* working out.

Hope that makes sense.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, those who are at the gym to actually work out aren't watching you (they're so zoned-in to their own workouts they don't notice other people)... and those who might sit and watch and intimidate you aren't there to work hard, so who cares what they think! It's kind of like classes... you're still there to work hard, it's just a little more self-directed. I know it's tough to "turn off" the fear of being watched (I'm still in the process of doing so), but really, who cares about everyone else--this is you working on yourself!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i sweat SO MUCH. SO SO MUCH. i was a bit apprehensive about it, but I posted on this forum and everyone was like. whatever just wipe the machines & bring a towel. Honestly, its not a workout unless you sweated :)
    I think the key is, that I never see the gym as a social place. For me, it is ME time, it is my zen. so dont talk to me. so, get into a zone, headphones in, and just go in with a plan. I find that if i prethink a work out, its great. You stay on track, you know what you need to accomplish. I often follow the workouts in Oxygen Magazine. this gives you something to follow, so that you do not seem lost, and therefore get intimidated.

good luck.
    Honestly it gets better each time you go. personally, I adore my weight training time
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. And then, to top it off, I got the "shakedown" by one of the trainers there... he taught me a few exercises but it was all a sales pitch for absurdly expensive personal training schedules. I wish I could afford him, but I can't and I told him that... 15 times. And now, everytime I go in the gym (which is already sort of hard for me to do... I don't want to be noticed, really... just want to do my thing), he spots me and says things like, "You need to put some more work in, girl!"

I used to love it, but I honestly kinda cringe when I walk in the door. But I won't stop going. I just wish I was more comfortable there.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. And then, to top it off, I got the "shakedown" by one of the trainers there... he taught me a few exercises but it was all a sales pitch for absurdly expensive personal training schedules. I wish I could afford him, but I can't and I told him that... 15 times. And now, everytime I go in the gym (which is already sort of hard for me to do... I don't want to be noticed, really... just want to do my thing), he spots me and says things like, "You need to put some more work in, girl!"

I used to love it, but I honestly kinda cringe when I walk in the door. But I won't stop going. I just wish I was more comfortable there.
    He is a used car salesman and should not be deterring you one bit. I'd tell him to STFU, but that's just me.
  • Tubbyangel
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel I recently joined a gym, when I went to sign up the girl Katie was lovely and showed me round but I couldn't even look her in the eye as I was so ashamed of myself and felt out of place. I got a personal trainer just because I had no idea what I was doing!!! My first session with him I could look at him or talk to him. I thought everyone was looking at me thinking " what dose that fat girl think she's at"

Well do know what - I couldn't give a monkeys what they think I go to the gym for myself and now I actually enjoy it, I enjoy seeing myself improve going a bit faster for a bit longer, having better form when doing weights. Yeah I sweat alot I have a big red face and am huffing and puffing but it's worth it.

Keep at it you will be a gym bunny in no time!!!!!
  • Allieballie
    Options
    I think when we go to the gym we're a bit narcissistic, but in a good way. The focus should be on yourself and your own workout. I know when I'm teaching dance, I tell the girls to watch themselves, look at their technique, diva it out in the mirror. Some people were apprehensive about other people seeing them dance, but really, everyone is just kinda focused on themselves and their own workout, and in that environment, it's a good thing :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it depends on the gym too...don't sign up for a year when you haven't tried it yet...pay the drop in fees a couple of times before you buy...is the gym full of lululemon wearing tight a$$es or are they there to get healthy? i find leisure centeres and rec centers a lot better than actual work out gyms...they're a lot less stuffy and people don't care what you look like...the designer gyms are a little to high maintenance for me...also might want to look into women's only gyms...i don't like them because i'm more self conscious around women than i am men, but you might like the atmosphere...
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I used to get self conscious too. But, that's what ipods are for. Plug them in and zone out!

Take a buddy? If you have a willing one. But then you probably won't work as hard.

Just get there, work hard, get out again. You shouldnt even have have time to think about what anyone else is doing/thinking :wink:

Go for it :flowerforyou:
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    @ gillian, as much as I hate the lululemoned crowd, a designer gym helps with motivation bc everyone is so pretty. However, very quickly you realize that most ppl are there to pick up, or talk on their phones while gently walking on a treadmill.

I know go to a no frills gym. there aren't even any classes. It is a giant room of machines, and equipment. its wonderful.

again- just GO IN WITH A PLAN