Help.. injured and stressed!

Options
So I hurt my knee (dr says it's most likely from over use). I asked if I could exercise, and was told only upper body. He even said swimming was not allowed. So now I am really struggling because I am used to working out 5-6 days a week and burning 800 to1200 calories a day. I'm sure my upper body workouts don't come close to that! Does anyone have suggestions that would keep me from gaining weight while I am resting? He said he would check me again in 2 weeks and its only been a few days. Because I was so heavy, I have a HUGE fear of gaining weight. (I know it sounds crazy!) I worked so hard to lose each pound, that I'd feel like a failure if I gained weight back. I know its only 2 weeks and I'm not going to gain 100lbs that fast, but the whole situation has me stressed! Anyone have advice or ever been in a similar situation?

Replies

• Birdnicaj
    Options
    Sorry to hear. Sprained ankle a few days ago myself and I totally panicked! I think try to eat less. You're not working out crazy so you might not be as hungry. Be watchful about each calorie. Do the upper body work, do the crunches, do a thousand reps of everything.... sorry just thinking out loud. Drink a ton of water....yoga? Probably not right?
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do your upper body workouts and adjust your calories. You will not gain 100 pounds overnight, I promise. :) You won't be burning as many calories a day as you normally do, but with an adjustment in what you eat for the 2 weeks, you will at least be able to maintain your weight loss.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    First of all stop stressing, because for alot of people, that causes them to eat more and then gain weight.

Relax and take it easy, if you eat your required amount of calories and not go over, and stay from junk, you will be fine.

I think if you eat healthy for the next two weeks, and continue drinking your water, and stay away from junk, you will be fine.....
  • MarriedMama
    Options
    Hi :-)

I know how you feel. I blew my knee out going off a ski jump a few years ago, and they reattached it with titanium. Sometimes it acts up when I excercise a lot too. My suggestion would be to follow your doctor's guidance very closely so that you don't damage it more, and perhaps consider eating foods that are super healthy but filling. I like to eat big salads with light dressing, natural popcorn (snack food), lots of water, etc. Your weight loss may slow, but you should still lose weight. Focus that worry and stress in to really healthy meals and you'll do great.

Best wishes,
    Marriedmama.
  • trayjay
    Options
    Good for you! You've done great so far..continue to have faith in yourself AND focus on the positive. A hard position to be in as with injuries it usually means that you're couped up & can't get out. We're all proned to eat more when we're house bound.

Get in touch with a physio therapist - they can help a lot through your recovery & can help set up an alternate exercise program + they are usually included in extended health care benefits if you are lucky to have this. A lot of Dr's out there are NOT knowlegable about exercise & recovery programs (Dr. OZ is a minority)

I would set up a small floor exercise program & routinely (same time every day is a must as it's so easy to talk ourselves OUT of exercising). You won't bun the same calories as when you can do cardio, but it will boosts your metobolism from a sitting idle position & will keep the muscle mass you've already built. Obviously you want to exclude the injured leg/knee from this routine.

You should get a second opinion about swimming. Swimming is the first alternate exercise Dr's usually DO suggest for overused strained body parts. If your injury isn't catagorized as a severe injury & isn't a break or tear, going to the pool and doing mild exercise could be just the thing you need to get out of the house & distracted.

AND remember... you lost 89 lbs to begin with... that took a lot of strength & courage..... believe in yourself!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    You should be alright...This is a time to relax and try meditation and breathing exerices. This will help you place things in focus. Do your upper body workouts with weight and watch your food intake. Eat light and you will be fine. Read and do mind games and puzzles. tc .hug.
  • Jontyuns
    Options
    Are you allowed to just walk? A couple of long walks each day won't replace your usual calorie burn but could probably get you halfway there. This combined with a slightly reduced calorie intake for a couple of weeks should keep your weight reasonably stable for your convalescence .I agree with the notion of getting a 2nd opinion - some doctors just impose a blanket ban cos is safer and easier than trying to work out exactly what you are able to do.

Best of luck - I'm sure you'll be fine :-)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hun, you have to overeat by 3500 cals to put on 1lb. You are NOT going to put on 100lbs in 2 weeks, that's like over eating by 350,000 Cals!!! :laugh:

As you have read countless times on here, weight loss is 80% diet!! The exercise, really, is just and added bonus to burn more or to eat more!! (and obviously to keep fit and healthy :)

So, keep within your cals and you will keep losing.

Don't panic. And sleep well :wink:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel a lil less stressed now! I think I am also going to see about swimming. I thought it would help, but maybe the dr just thinks I will over do it with anything. I hope it heals fast though because I don't like this "rest" stuff! I actually went to the gym today to do some upper body and missed not being able to go on the elliptical or run! I ALMOST did the elliptical, but as I was walking to it, my knee started giving me shooting pain. I guess that was my sign to stay away! lol

Thanks so much for the support!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Boxing! Seriously, sit in a chair and throw air punches for 30 minutes and see if you aren't seriously winded. That's what I'm doing right now, along with the upper body weights and my PT for my knee, because I've torn my patella tendon. I have just been able to walk to the bathroom without the brace for the first time in a month yesterday. I've actually lost a pound and a half in the last month. No, my workouts aren't near as intense as my 2 hour aqua aerobics and jogging sessions I was doing before, but I still lost something. I have probably 3-4 months before I can go back to my normal routine and I will continue to keep losing because I'm determined to keep working out even with limitations. You can do the same thing! If nothing else, the boxing will allow you to release frustration from the injury while burning some cardio calories. ;)
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You sound like ME!!! Ran chicago marathon 10.10.10 took a week off and started P90X week of that and BAMM knee is swollen. 3 weeks later. 2 drainages, steroid injections and now I cant walk nor sleep. Today I put on prednisone while we wait for my MRi on Thursday and readings next Friday. so for 2 weeks I cannot do ANYTHING. Not even swim..I am at a loss. I havent done nothing in forever!
    You really really really have to watch your caloric in take. Its really all about that awnyways! You dont have to work out to lose weight. (i mean look at the CNN twinkie diet) The working out however does help in weight loss and makes us feel better so I am not suggesting people not work out. But..
    I am in panic mode too.. Starts that damm prdnisone tomorrow. That stuff makes me blow up like a balloon and makes you hungry and not sleep. Its gonna be tought for a few weeks! But it cant set us that far back..I mean you cant gain it all back...right?...
  • tcraftje
    Options
    I just joined this website today. I'm in almost exactly the same position as you. My SW was 287 and my CW was 192 until got preggo and had a baby 2 months ago. I started working out again to lose the remaining 20lbs of baby weight and I overdid some tire flips and have injured my right knee worse than it's ever been. I'm frustrated and stressed as well. I'm calling tomorrow to get a doc appt and I'm afraid of what the doc will tell me is wrong.

I would say eat your calories as they were pre-injury - this is not the time to start panicking. Try meditating and focus on acceptance and patience of your situation. Stressing over this will cause your body to store fat. Eat REALLY clean, lots of veggies to keep you full, and good lean protein to keep your muscle mass. The upper body workouts burn more calories than you realize. Rest and be patient (you know this is advice I should also be giving myself). You may gain a pound or two or even 5, but once you're healed and can workout vigorously again, the weight will fall off. It's okay, you're not going to gain all the weight back. Don't panic, just try to relax and enjoy the time off the lower body. There's a lesson to be learned here for both of us
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    Wow! Lots of great ideas! Seems like a lot of us are in a similar situation! Hope everyone gets better soon!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice, but wanted to say I'm in the same boat with you. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, but still swim competitvely. Now, the RA and my training has taken a major toll on my shoulder. It's extremely crunchy, sore, and just all around painful. Also, I suffered a dog-induced fall in my front yard and tore the meniscus in my left knee, so that joint is crunchy, etc. The Dr asked me last week "which joint do you want surgery on first?" Now, I know I really need the surgeries, but swimming is the only exercise I can do. No ellipticals, weights, walking...nothing....they are all too hard on my joints. But I know if I have surgery, that is time out of the pool. A lot of time. It is hard enough now for me to stay under my calories now on a daily basis even with my workouts. I am terrified to have the surgeries because I just don't know how I would be able to control my weight. Good luck!!