Trouble finding maintenance

Options
Have you guys found that MFP has been wrong with calculating your maintenance calories, or accurate? Mine says I should maintain on 1800 but I can't help but think I should be having more than that! Thoughts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Have you guys found that MFP has been wrong with calculating your maintenance calories, or accurate? Mine says I should maintain on 1800 but I can't help but think I should be having more than that! Thoughts?

You do realize that you're supposed to be eating exercise calories right? That's the way MFP works whether you're losing, maintaining, or gaining.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    maybe try fat2fitradio do a search on there for maintence
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You could also use a TDEE calculator and customize your goals..but really, it comes out 6 of one if you're doing it right. To maintain, MFP give me around 2350...when I exercise I was grossing anywhere between 2,650 - 2,850 depending on the days exercise. Using the TDEE method I eat round 2700 calories daily to maintain.

TDEE calculator include an estimate of your exercise in your activity level and thus those calculators give you more calories up front.

MFP does NOT include exercise in your activity level...you log it are credited for doing it after the fact and thus given more calories to consume to account for that exercise activity.

It's all 6 of 1, just different methods and a matter of actually understanding the tool you are using.
  • KittyLizz
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to explain, this makes a lot more sense now! So hopefully I should be able to have around 2,100 with exercise, and then back to 1,900 on rest days. Sounds do-able!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

just keep sugar at 10 percent and you WILL maintain
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It will take some trial & error to find your "magic number" at which your weight stabilizes. Your weight will fluctuate every day, but it should eventually even out. Start with 1,800 net calories. ("Net" meaning you eat back your exercise calories.) If you gain after two weeks, try 1,700 net. If you lose after two weeks, go up 100 calories.