Questions for Zumba Instructors

To all you Zumba instructors, I'm entertaining the idea of becoming an instructor myself and am curious about your experiences.

Did the Basics I training prepare you to begin teaching right away?
How much can I expect to get paid?
How much prep time to you need for classes?
Do you enjoy teaching?
How do you get people pumped up to participate?
Did you join ZIN, and is it worth it?
How do you like to renew your license (refresher of Basics I, take a new class, join ZIN)?
Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• staciez1
    staciez1 Posts: 9 Member
    Sorry i cant help, but i will watch this with interest :) I am currently attending Zumba classes and thought it would be cool to be an instructor :)
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Hi - I'm a former instructor! LOVE ZUMBA!!! :heart:

Did the Basics I training prepare you to begin teaching right away? YES - try to go to Tanya Beardsley's class - she's the BEST!

How much can I expect to get paid? - depends on your area and what they are charging. I charged $7/class.

How much prep time to you need for classes? - depends on you and your skill as an instructor.

Do you enjoy teaching? - YES!

How do you get people pumped up to participate? They loved ZUMBA as much as I did! Offer trial classes.

Did you join ZIN, and is it worth it? - ZIN is definately worth it!!!!! Must have if you want the CDs/DVD's and access to their website. They'll cover it at your B1 training. Lots of community boards on the ZIN site to give you tips and pointers for newbie instructors - found them very helpful!

How do you like to renew your license (refresher of Basics I, take a new class, join ZIN)? Just stay a ZIN member!

Any tips or suggestions? Make sure you have time to practice your routines and know your music!

I stopped teaching because I already work full time and couldn't keep up the pace. I'm sad over it, but it was the right choice for me and my family. I still take class when I can. I love it!!!

GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Hi - I'm a former instructor! LOVE ZUMBA!!! :heart:

Did the Basics I training prepare you to begin teaching right away? YES - try to go to Tanya Beardsley's class - she's the BEST!

How much can I expect to get paid? - depends on your area and what they are charging. I charged $7/class.

How much prep time to you need for classes? - depends on you and your skill as an instructor.

Do you enjoy teaching? - YES!

How do you get people pumped up to participate? They loved ZUMBA as much as I did! Offer trial classes.

Did you join ZIN, and is it worth it? - ZIN is definately worth it!!!!! Must have if you want the CDs/DVD's and access to their website. They'll cover it at your B1 training. Lots of community boards on the ZIN site to give you tips and pointers for newbie instructors - found them very helpful!

How do you like to renew your license (refresher of Basics I, take a new class, join ZIN)? Just stay a ZIN member!

Any tips or suggestions? Make sure you have time to practice your routines and know your music!

I stopped teaching because I already work full time and couldn't keep up the pace. I'm sad over it, but it was the right choice for me and my family. I still take class when I can. I love it!!!

GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! This helps. I'm in a similar situation, which is the only reason I question it. I work full time, have 2 small kids, and am worried about the time commitment.
  • jljohnson
    Any more Zumba instructors with advice??
  • To all you Zumba instructors, I'm entertaining the idea of becoming an instructor myself and am curious about your experiences.

Do you enjoy teaching?
    How do you like to renew your license (refresher of Basics I, take a new class, join ZIN)?
    Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!!!

I just got my instructor certificate two weeks ago!
    I don't think that in one day you will be ready to start teaching ZUMBA, but if you already take classes and have done it for a few months, you can. The pay really depends on where you teach. If you teach at a gym, curves, YMCA, the average is about $20 dollars an hour. Now if you teach at a studio, it maybe more or less, depending on the number of students, whether you rent the studio out, and if you have to pay for insurance. Prep time may take days or weeks. In order to teach you need to have all the music/choreography down before being able to present it to your class. ZUMBA is fun, but it should be taken seriously when you are the instructor. You want your students to have fun and also get results. What gets people pumped more than anything is feeling and hearing the music. It makes them feel alive and energized. I decided to get ZIN, and it is worth it if you are an instructor or plan to be an instructor. You get a big discount on clothes and future training. The biggest plus about getting ZIN is that you stay certified for as long you have it. Good luck and have fun!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I just became a Zumba instructor on Saturday, so I don't have much in the way of advice yet ...

I can tell you that the training was amazing. Even if I weren't going to be instructing, I think I would have done it just for the experience. I was pretty nervous going in, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as I had anticipated. There were people there of all ages and skill levels ... some who had never even done Zumba before!

I did the Jumpstart Gold training, which was ten hours long and $300, but gives you a basic Zumba license, as well as Zumba Gold (as long as you join ZIN). If you're going to get any of the specialty licenses (Gold, AquaZumba, Toning, Zumbatomic) then ZIN membership is required. If you cancel your membership, you lose your license. The B1 license is good for one year, or until you cancel your ZIN membership.

Personally, I think ZIN is worth it just for the CD's / DVD's and the discount on merchandise.

I've been hired by my gym to run one 30 minute Zumba Gold class a week (to start with) and to be a back-up instructor. That pays $14 an hour. Plus, I get my gym membership comp'ed ($50 a month). So ... I'm obviously not in this to get rich, and luckily it isn't my day job. :) But since I was going to Zumba like five nights a week anyways, this just made sense. Between my ZIN fees and the cost of clothes, I just hope to break even.

I don't know if I'm prepared to start teaching right away, but I don't have much of a choice. My first class is in like 10 days! :noway:

Hope that helps!
  • I have particpated in Zumba fitness exercise for a little over three years. I became an instructor in July of 2010. See my comments in the quote:
    To all you Zumba instructors, I'm entertaining the idea of becoming an instructor myself and am curious about your experiences.

Did the Basics I training prepare you to begin teaching right away? To be honest... no. You got to practice, practice, practice. It is one thing to particpate in a clase. It is another thing to lead a class. BUT IT IS WORTH THE EXPERIENCE.

How much can I expect to get paid? Depends on where you teach. Some places like (YMCA) around $10-$15 a class. Some places like Gold's Gym pay around $15-$25 a class (depending on the market in your area). You can try to venture out on your own, but you assume some liability risk with running your own business.

How much prep time to you need for classes? You need to develop your repository of songs. Prep work depends on how long you can learn new moves. I particpated in Zumba exercise classes for two years before venturing out as an instructor.

Do you enjoy teaching? ABSOLUTELY! Teach is awesome!

How do you get people pumped up to participate? It is all in your attitude and how you market yourself! You need to network yourslef and volunteer for events, check out Zumbathons in your area.

Did you join ZIN, and is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! Love my ZIN membership... well worth the money!

How do you like to renew your license (refresher of Basics I, take a new class, join ZIN)? ZIN members retain their license indefinately; otherwise you must renew each year.

Any tips or suggestions? Go for it this is your passion! Good luck to you!

Thanks!!!
  • jljohnson
    Kind of surprised to see 2 guys respond, but awesome! Thanks for the tips. Usually some of the "membership" programs for other franchises are not worth the money, so I'm a little surprised to see the positive feedback on it. Now I'm considering ZIN as well. I'm going to chat with the gym's director next week about the possibility (don't want to take the training, unless I know I'll get a job out of it). Any more Zumba instructors have more to add?? Thanks again, everyone!!
  • To all you Zumba instructors, I'm entertaining the idea of becoming an instructor myself and am curious about your experiences.

Do you enjoy teaching?
    Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!!!

I just got my instructor certificate two weeks ago!
    I don't think that in one day you will be ready to start teaching ZUMBA, but if you already take classes and have done it for a few months, you can. The pay really depends on where you teach. If you teach at a gym, curves, YMCA, the average is about $20 dollars an hour. Now if you teach at a studio, it maybe more or less, depending on the number of students, whether you rent the studio out, and if you have to pay for insurance. Prep time may take days or weeks. In order to teach you need to have all the music/choreography down before being able to present it to your class. ZUMBA is fun, but it should be taken seriously when you are the instructor. You want your students to have fun and also get results. What gets people pumped more than anything is feeling and hearing the music. It makes them feel alive and energized. I decided to get ZIN, and it is worth it if you are an instructor or plan to be an instructor. You get a big discount on clothes and future training. The biggest plus about getting ZIN is that you stay certified for as long you have it. Good luck and have fun!

And congrats to another new instructor in the Zumba family :)
  • I've been an instructor for a little over 3 years now!! I took classes for almost 3 years before I decided to get my license.

Did the Basics I training prepare you to begin teaching right away? I taught class 2 days after BUT it was a very small class and boy it is way different teaching than it is just taking the classes. Like anything else though the more you do it the more comfortable you are! I had a wonderful mentor that let me teach a couple songs each week with her in addition to my own two classes and that helped tremendously! I highly suggest going to visit other classes and going to Zumbathons. I teach 4 classes a week but I still try to go to someone elses class at least once a month. I ALWAYS learn something from each of them.

How much can I expect to get paid? Like everyone else stated it really depends on where you are. I work for the Y and get $15 per class. My independent classes are $5 each with discounts if they purchase a punch card. One thing to remember about independent classes is to make sure you are insured! Its not that expensive and its worth the peace of mind. Also if you use any music other than ZIN music you have to make sure you have music rights either piggy backing off the facility you are using or purchasing it yourself. Fines are tremendous for that. Fitness centers and such already have those so you don't have to worry its just the independent classes you have to be careful about.

How much prep time to you need for classes? When I first started I needed a lot to just go over the choreo and learning new stuff to build my playlist up. Its much easier now because I have a really large playlist to pull from.

Do you enjoy teaching? Its truly my passion. I can't express how much I love teaching and the friendships I have made doing this.

How do you get people pumped up to participate? I teach in two different venues and the fell of the classes are very different. In one class I can whoop whoop and they will whoop whoop back, in the other they would probably just look at me like I was crazy LOL!! I love both classes, its just a different crowd.

Did you join ZIN, and is it worth it? ZIN is definitely worth it!!! While I don't use EVERY song and choreo they send they are some pretty awesome routines that I do use and I use moves in other songs.

How do you like to renew your license (refresher of Basics I, take a new class, join ZIN)? ZIN hands down

Any tips or suggestions? Practice practice practice. While you are practicing use your cues. Its easier to make the cues part of the routine than adding them later if that makes sense.
  • EulalieOwona
    EulalieOwona Posts: 16 Member
    Hi there, I know this thread started long ago but I am wondering how you are doing guys as Zumba instructor today.
    Do you continue to teach and do you still enjoy it?

Tracey did you go for the certification at the end.

I have been doing Zumba for 1 year and I am loving it. I have a fantastic instructor.
    I am considering becoming an instructor myself in a few months.

Can anyone say how much is the ZIN membership?
    Thanks
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    I got certified on Nov 2 this year in both basic and gold through the jumpstart program

Yes I felt my training done my April Smith prepared me to begin teaching right away just my classes with school has kinda taken over my time but my instructors at my gym are amazing when I have questions about being prepared.

How much can I expect to get paid? just depends on the location

How much prep time to you need for classes? I don't have classes yet but I practice mine until I have it memorized. Sometimes I will play the music in my car and say each move out to keep it fresh in my head.

Do you enjoy teaching? As of right now I only teach a few song in some of my classes I attend but I love the feeling when I'm up there dancing.

How do you get people pumped up to participate? definitely them to cheer and yell and to most importantly have fun and party it out!

Did you join ZIN, and is it worth it? I feel it is right now but when I talked to at least 6 of the instructors from my gym they told me it was definitely worth it. One of them told me she has done it with and without and it is much better with. ZIN is $30 a month.

How do you like to renew your license (refresher of Basics I, take a new class, join ZIN)? That I'm not completely sure about.

Tips just practice and have fun with it. At my gym theres a lil stage for instructors to use and one of my instructors would have me get up there a lot and teach her songs that helped me getting over doing it in front of people
  • mandz808
    mandz808 Posts: 1
    Hi...I know this thread is very old but I was just wondering what your results were and if you too could respond to your own questions. I've been doing zumba for years and because of my two little ones, I've put off instructing. I think I now have the opportunity to consider. The ZIN membership is a bit high too, so I'm nervous about that...my boys are little still and I might have to wait a little longer but was interested in others feedback. I have a 5 & 2 year old and I work full-time...I've been wanting this for so long. Any suggestions or thoughts?!? I'm hoping for any words of advice considering my circumstances. TYIA