A Taste For Wine And Murder - Recipes?

Options
valeraxy
valeraxy Posts: 6 Member
Hi all, I am invited to a murder mystery dinner this Tuesday called "A Taste For Wine And Murder". I would like to know in advance what I am getting myself into so I can make some sort of plan what to eat and what to avoid. Does anyone have the recipes for this game? This is what's on the menu:

California Monterey Jack and Parmesan Crackers
Avocado Salad
Cornish Game Hens with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Herbed Orzo
Sugar Snap Pea and Carrot Salad
Chocolate Biscotti

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I don't like avocado. I'd skip that.

Do you have dietary restrictions?
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    peas and carrots, yes. but only if they aren't marinated in any butter.

step away from the biscotti!! lol
  • valeraxy
    Options
    Do you have dietary restrictions?

My usual dietary restrictions are as follows:
    Calories: 1,600 - 1,800
    Carbs: 170g max
    Fat: 60-ish
    Protein: 120g at least

I'm making this my cheat meal so I'm not too worried about those numbers - but still want to make good choices. It would be nice to know if there is a stick of butter in the herbed orzo, or if the sugar snap pea and carrot salad is really as innocent as it sounds...

I'm pretty open about me being on a diet, but you know there are always saboteurs around who can't wait for you to "slip up", mock, comment how miserable this must be, suggest I forget about my diet until after the holidays, etc. - so I would like to be able to load up my plate and look like a somewhat normal eating person, not that stick in the mud who only has half a lettuce leaf on their plate.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Ahh... I see.

Well, if its from a restaurant, maybe you could look it up on their site? <--- probably best bet overall.

Cornish game hen is usually roasted... More of the calories in the skin and the meat full of protein, so that's gonna be a great choice if you go light on the skin. It takes a bunch of room on the plate, too.

Herbed orzo is likely how you expect... Butter heavy. That's how it tends to be.

The carrot & pea salad might have a calorie heavy sauce, but if its just in a sweet vinegar dressing, you're golden there.

Unless you really love biscotti, you could skip that. It's usually pretty calorie dense.

My biggest piece of advice is: this is something that you don't normally do. If I were you, I'd plan on that meal having no less than 1/2 your calories for the day. But it's a special occasion, and it's a well-balanced meal that's nutrient dense. You're pretty fortunate.

As for those who have something negative to say about you: poop on them. It's your body.

People tell me all the time "Omg! You're eating pizza?! (Cookies, whatever)". They never seem to catch on that I don't have "forbidden foods" - I eat in moderation and focus on nutrient dense foods. Even at 1200 - 1300 calories, I fit the other stuff in.

Let them hate on carbs or whatever. I won't and I'll keep losing.

Best of luck and enjoy the show!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what kind of wine?
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    what kind of wine?

Lol holy crap! I can't believe I forgot to ask that!!! :laugh:
  • valeraxy
    Options
    Thanks much for all the advice! It's home cooked so ideally I would type in all the ingredients in MFP in my usual obsessive-compulsive manner ;-) It just makes it so much easier to see the potential "damage". I'm not far along enough into the dieting process to have a good handle on things, and my judgement is not the best either. But I don't want to bother the host to type up all the recipes. Geez, yes, the wine! Fortunately I don't care much for alcohol so I'm happy nursing a small glass or two throughout the night.

I was actually contemplating intermittent fasting for that day, which is not really my thing at all - I like to eat all the time! But it seems to work for a lot of people so I might give it a shot, if I have the discipline to wait all day. That way I get to eat 100% of my calories all at once :)
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Thanks much for all the advice! It's home cooked so ideally I would type in all the ingredients in MFP in my usual obsessive-compulsive manner ;-) It just makes it so much easier to see the potential "damage". I'm not far along enough into the dieting process to have a good handle on things, and my judgement is not the best either. But I don't want to bother the host to type up all the recipes. Geez, yes, the wine! Fortunately I don't care much for alcohol so I'm happy nursing a small glass or two throughout the night.

I was actually contemplating intermittent fasting for that day, which is not really my thing at all - I like to eat all the time! But it seems to work for a lot of people so I might give it a shot, if I have the discipline to wait all day. That way I get to eat 100% of my calories all at once :)

I'd find something close enough in the data base give it an old eyeball on the size...enjoy the night, drink 2 glasses of wine (or more), and just have fun. Sounds like it's going to be a blast.
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    This is a Mystery Party, which mainly focuses on the "case" and WINE! So there will be different red and white wines!!! Lots of "empty" calories, but I guess I would at least have one glass!!!
    The recipes are geared for 6-8 people.

Monterey Jack and Parmesan Crackers:
    flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper, 1 stick of butter, red wine, 2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese, 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    SOUNDS LIKE A TON OF CHEESE + FAT!!!

California Avocado Salad:
    olive oil, tomato based chili-sauce, lime juice, salt, ripe tomatoes, red onion, corn, ripe avocado, torn greens
    THIS ONE SOUNDS HEALTHY!!!

Cornish Game Hens with sun-dried tomato pesto:
    hens: olive oil, garlic, salt, rosemary, pepper, cornish game hens
    pesto: garlic, sun dried tomatoes in oil - drained, olive oil, pine nuts, basil
    SOUNDS OKAY, I have no idea about that kind of hens though!

Sugar Snap Peas and Carrots in Red Wine Vinaigrette:
    olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, carrots, sugar snap peas
    THIS SOUNDS HEALTHY!

Fresh Herbed Orzo:
    orzo, olive oil, basil, chives, parsley, lemon zest, salt
    SOUNDS ALRIGHT, CARBS, take SMALL serving or skip

Chocolate Biscotti:
    If they are homemade (makes about 36 pieces):
    flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, 1 stick of butter, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, 1 cup chopped almonds, egg yolk, chocolate
    STEP AWAY FROM THE BISCOTTI!!!

The game planning guide also features Pears Pouched in Red Wine:
    3 cups red wine, sugar (3/4 cup), vanilla bean, orange zest, peppercorns and ripe pears
    (This wasn't on your menu list)

Also possibly served will be cappuccino:
    sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, milk, freshly brewed espresso

Sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy!
  • valeraxy
    Options
    Wow... Thanks so much!! This is perfect. Exactly what I needed, thanks also for your recommendations... Skipping the biscotti may not happen, I'll probably have to have one... or two... which is a vast improvement over what I would have done a few months ago... ALL 36 PIECES! I'll load up on he salads, and the cornish game hen is just a tiny version of a chicken, they are delicious and really expensive, too. I'll report back how things went :) Thanks again!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    It's actually a great menu, and I would enjoy it all well you can keep the avocado cause I'm not a big fan. Those types of events are a lot of fun as long as they are serving good wine!

Save most of your daily calories for the dinner, get a workout in, and then kick back enjoy and hope you aren't the victim!
  • valeraxy
    Options
    Could have gone better, could have gone a lot worse! We had the pears in red wine even though originally they weren't listed on the invitation, and also there was a Christmas cookie tray in addition to the biscotti and I fell a bit off the wagon there. Not too badly, so I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. Also two tiny glasses of wine and a grappa at the end. Thanks again everyone for all your help! It was a really fun game, too, and I ended up not being the murderer :)
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I would see this evening as an exemption. After all you are not doing this every day.
    Get up, dust yourself off, and get back on that waggon. I hope you had fun and enjoyed the party.
    If you stick to your plan now there is no harm done. Just don't think "Oh well, I messed up yesterday, I might as well keep eating." No Ma'am! :smile:
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Could have gone better, could have gone a lot worse! We had the pears in red wine even though originally they weren't listed on the invitation, and also there was a Christmas cookie tray in addition to the biscotti and I fell a bit off the wagon there. Not too badly, so I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. Also two tiny glasses of wine and a grappa at the end. Thanks again everyone for all your help! It was a really fun game, too, and I ended up not being the murderer :)

glad you had a great time sounds like you got to enjoy the food and not feel like burdened with guilt. Yum, on your wine, and most importantly :drinker: to having a healthy relationship with food.