no motivation for working out

Options
I have such a hard time getting motivated and pumped to work out.
Tell me what gets YOU going to work out! :)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i actually love exercising so i dont need much motivation BUT one thing that really makes me love it more is making fitness related goals and making plans to progress to those goals.

some goals can be things like doing bodyweight bench presses, deadlifting 1.5x body weight, beating your fastest mile, getting to 5K on the rower, holding a plank for 30 seconds more than before.

i usually make goals the beginning of the month and try to progress towards them. sometimes i can make them, sometimes i can't but i try to make a range of goals from ones that will be easy and sprinkling in a 1 or 2 that are stretches.

it also helps to find something you love doing, then no matter what it's going to be less of a chore
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Being active on here helps keep me focused and motivated by seeing my friends and others on here doing it.

I also engulf myself in documentaries, shows related to weight loss, nutrition, fitness; even on my running days I will watch a show like biggest loser or you are what you eat, etc to keep me focused and pumped.

I too have to pump myself up each day to exercise. At times I will put some music on and get myself pumped. Then, without me allowing myself to overthink it I just, without thought, start.

"Wow, I really regret that workout." Said no one ever"
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    I remember the days when I am sick and have no energy and be thankful to be alive and have the ability to , jump, run, walk, laugh... It's for an improved future self, thats worth the investment!
  • Matt24442
    Options
    i dunno...it is just something that is a natural thing to my day. it is routine, if you are trying to get motivated before each and every time you work out, it is not going to last very long.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nothing.

i've decided that this is a part of my life. that i want to do triathlons and mud runs and all kinds of races, so i guess that is motivation?? maybe it is. but i like being fit and exercising. it gives me energy and makes me feel happy.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I do it because I can. This time last year I wasn't able to due to a health issue. I am so thankful to be better and able so it makes me appreciate all that I am capable of!
  • mjones6599
    Options
    Two words...great playlist!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    When I started, I looked at every workout as an appointment. Sometimes with my trainer, sometimes with myself. I never miss appointments so this was the best way for me to look at it.

Now that I am 11 months in to this journey, I want to workout. I know that for every workout I get in, I get to eat some more cals than if I did not workout and food has always been a motivator for me.

You have to find why you want to work out and then focus on that. Once you have the reason behind the why, finding motivation should no longer be an issue. You also need to find workouts that are fun or interesting for you to do.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Working out is just a part of my routine. Wednesdays and Fridays, my clothes go into the gym bag and I stop on my way home from work. That's just as normal as brushing my teeth in the morning. Tuesday are my long run...that's just the way it is. In the beginning, I had to make myself do it a few times, but then I found lifting and fell in love, and it quit being a pain to work out. I looked forward to my workouts, and now it's just habit.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You have to do it quick before the doubt and negative talk sneak in.

I don't know how much you love your job, but let's go with the generalisation that some days you don't want to go in.

You wake up, you hear that little voice telling you to call in sick, but habit and necessity mean that you go in regardless, you survive and sometimes you might even enjoy it. If not, hey, you've got money coming in to compensate.

Exercise is the same.

Even the fittest people who you look up to will have days where they have that little voice telling them not to bother. But they go regardless. Even if the workout is rubbish at the very least you can feel good about yourself and you'll have some extra calories in the bank.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    i dunno...it is just something that is a natural thing to my day. it is routine, if you are trying to get motivated before each and every time you work out, it is not going to last very long.

?

You are already fit and probably been in this lifestyle for awhile.

Beginners, have to get used to it so motivation is the number one key to get them on that path to get to where you are; doing it naturally, without it being a chore.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

?

Beginners, have to get used to it so motivation is the number one key to get them on that path to get to where you are; doing it naturally, without it being a chore.

I fail to see why it is relevant if he was fit already or not. He has indicated that a beginner would need to make it an integral part of their daily routine.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I was just expecting something else...rat farts!
  • Sreneesa
    Options

?

I fail to see why it is relevant if he was fit already or not. He has indicated that a beginner would need to make it an integral part of their daily routine.

I didn't see any other post saying that by him obviously.. smdh ...

My bad to the dude.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    At any point in time one part of my body is suffering from DOMS. I like knowing I did something to help my muscles grow.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

?

I didn't see any other post saying that by him obviously.. smdh ...

My bad to the dude.

You don't need to shake your head, just consider that maybe he lost 100 pounds before joining this site. Everyone was a beginner at some point. Assumptions aren't always right.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do something that you truly enjoy. Working out shouldn't feel like a chore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time getting motivated and pumped to work out.
    Tell me what gets YOU going to work out! :)
    If that's how you feel, then no amount inspiration will get you any more motivated. Motivation is from within. If you aren't committed to doing it, then you'll fight it all the way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cynnamon93
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and words!
    its much appreciated :)
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You have to do activities you like. It's much better to do something easy that keeps you moving than to trudge through something hard and give up ten minutes in.

What activities do you like?