What FINALLY worked?

Options
2»

Replies

• kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1.) Getting my mind right. The concept of eating healthy and working out consistently never stuck until I worked on me mentally. I stopped putting it off, made a decision to go for it, and make a daily effort to execute on that said decision each day. When your why is stronger than your weaknesses you go alot further, I find.

2.) Working out on a consistent basis

3.) Eating clean with a 40/40/20 macro rule

4.) Support, motivation, and accountabillity played a huge factor also. Connecting with like minded people who were working out similar to myself made it easier. They understood what I was going through and was able to push me even harder. I'll admit, I'm a bit competitive too. So when I see someone completely smash a workout that I said I could barely get past, I'm energized to go at it again! LOL :tongue:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    As I am sure it is the same with many of you, I have been trying to lose weight for a long time now. I have tried many approaches, eating as healthy as possible, then suddenly losing motivation and going right back to eating unhealthy. What finally worked for you? Does anyone have tips to avoid falling off the bandwagon once more? I am ready for a change!!! Thanks in advance!

CONSISTENTLY staying within a healthy calorie deficit.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is that I always have lots of easy healthy snacks around. There are always foods like celery, carrots, grapes, apples, oranges, whole grain crackers, hummus, greek yogurt and cottage cheese in the pantry/fridge. I have other family members who insist that there be snacks such as chips, cookies, puddings, soda pop, etc, in the house. But as long as I can nibble on something that is good for my health, I can resist the urge to reach for something that is less healthy.

For physical activity, EVERY day begins with a trip to the gym.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Tracking every single bite of food that went into my mouth. I weigh everything in grams, and put it into my diary as such. I also exercise so I can eat more food while still losing weight.
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For me :
    - Eating at a deficit with the BMR/TDEE approach
    - Weighing and measuring EVERYTHING.
    - Realizing how badly I wanted it.
    -Success perpetuated more success
    -mini goals
    -Comp pictures every 10 lbs to show the difference of progress and determination
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've learnt that I was eating the right things, just too much of it, for me it's all portion control, I don't feel I'm going without then.
    I allow myself treats, but I try and make them healthier, this week it's some almonds, last week was sweet n salted popcorn, I try and buy treats for my daugther that I don't like so I'm not tempted.
    If I do reach for something naughty I try and visualise myself in my new dress, then I think twice about eating it, as I want to look good in my dress.
    It has taken me a year, but I'm happy with what I've achieved.
  • emilyvnewman
    Options
    Thanks everyone -I've wanted this so badly for a long time now and I'm finally ready to work for it!! This is just what I needed to get started towards my goal :happy:
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Weighing food, being in a deficit and meeting macros has helped alot but I also do something else.

Waking up everyday and telling myself I will not fail today works for me. Also remind yourself that what you are doing makes you different from the rest, some people just give up for life but keep going. You can fail as much as you want as long as you want, its worth it if you get there in the end.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    As I am sure it is the same with many of you, I have been trying to lose weight for a long time now. I have tried many approaches, eating as healthy as possible, then suddenly losing motivation and going right back to eating unhealthy. What finally worked for you? Does anyone have tips to avoid falling off the bandwagon once more? I am ready for a change!!! Thanks in advance!

Logging all food and exercise
    Measuring liquids and weighing solids to make sure I am accurately logging food
    Getting a heart rate monitor to make sure I am accurately logging my calories
    Learning to understand that the scale is just a tracking tool and not my higher power
    Learning that losing weight is all about calories in/calories out and exercise is all about tone, endurance, and strength.
    Realizing I am like no one else. My body is my body.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What finally worked for me was tracking calories, taking a good look at my eating habits, and making some changes. Worked great for awhile, but I kept stopping and restarting, losing some weight and gaining some back, starting again, and so on.

What changed me for good what when I finally got fed up enough with the stopping and starting that I decided I didn't want to go through that process again, and looked for a better way - basically, finding those healthy habits that I could stick with for good - no depriving myself of certain foods, no crazy temporary calorie restriction, and no beating myself up if I had a day where I was over every now and then - that's life!

So I switched to the TDEE method. I used the tools and info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 to calculate my BMR and my TDEE, and then took a 20% cut from TDEE. That was my new calorie goal, and I did my best to come in within 100 cals on either side of it. But I also knew that if I ate all the way to TDEE, I wasn't going to gain weight. I found real freedom in knowing those numbers - it gave me some boundaries - eat at least BMR, and don't go past TDEE.

Been working great for me - I logged my 847th straight day here, I do believe the habit has been formed. :drinker:
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Therapy. It helped me realize food doesn't fix problems and I was able to develop appropriate life-coping skills.

Logging onto another weight-loss site daily has kept me accountable. Logging my food most of the time has also been helpful. Accountability is key, for me.

I have been on a commercial weight-loss plan recently and dropped a lot of weight. I don't think the plan I'm on matters as much as the 2 points above. I did everything I needed to do, mentally, to get ready to lose weight which made it a 1000x easier than prior attempts.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1) The mirror - I LOVED the moment I could finally see an actual bum, not just a flat pancake!!
    2) Complements/being hit on - though my husband complements me often, its been since high school that someone actually hit on me.
    3) Motivating others/Others motivating me - After family members started seeing my results, 3 of my relatives (including my husband) joined the weight loss/get fit band wagon.