no motivation for working out

Options

Replies

• cynnamon93
    Options
    You have to do activities you like. It's much better to do something easy that keeps you moving than to trudge through something hard and give up ten minutes in.

What activities do you like?

I enjoy jumping jacks, walking and jogging.
    Though I AM trying to get better at push ups and crunches...I've just recently started to get my diet and exercise back on track so its been difficult to find work out routines that I find fun is all
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I hated exercising for a long time. I HATED it.

Then I started jogging. And I hated that too (I did it at the gym on the treadmill). Then I didn't feel like driving to the gym, so I downloaded runtastic and pandora on my phone and jogged the neighborhood.

Best idea I ever had. After a few weeks of doing this, I started craving exercise and more running. And I'm so happy it did. My motivation is becoming stronger, faster, and leaner by running as much as possible.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    It's reward time for me, I get on my elliptical here at home or hit the treadmill, bike or elliptical at the gym with my kindle and dive into a good book. It's time I take for me, nothing else matters while I'm doing my workout and the feeling after the workout keeps me interested.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    i dunno...it is just something that is a natural thing to my day. it is routine, if you are trying to get motivated before each and every time you work out, it is not going to last very long.

?

You are already fit and probably been in this lifestyle for awhile.

Beginners, have to get used to it so motivation is the number one key to get them on that path to get to where you are; doing it naturally, without it being a chore.

OK, fine then. I AM a beginner, having started exercising this summer at the ripe age of 42. It's the routine that does it. It's an appointment (6 days a week) with circuit training. Because I know that if I take one day off, then it's the beginning of the slippery slope to 2 days off, then 3 days off, then giving up.

Petty slacking leads inevitably to felony slacking, and there are consequences to that *kitten*.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Lifting more weight, seeing PR's, and seeing changes in my body composition (building muscle).

Lifting is just a habit like smoking, it's just something I mindlessly do.
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Part of my life and routine. I hate breaking routine or failing to finish what ive already started. Sure some days i don't feel like exercising but i push myself through the warm up and eventually i just end up doing the exercise. Also sticking to a healthy diet keeps me motivated. In the past, when i have eaten lots of take away, chocolates, alcohol during the week, i become negative towards exercise, so i prefer to cut them out all together and staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
  • 185james
    Options
    A study done in Canada a few years ago gathered a group of people who ha pretty sedentary lifestyles. Split into two groups the first group if people were asked to get up in the morning and immediately go on a treadmill. The second group simply kept their sedentary routine. Part of the study was some sort of brain monitoring that identified what parts if the brain were active in the participants. One of the interesting findings was th following. The people who had to get on the treadmill showed activity in a part of the brain that is associated with motivation. But after around 23 days for almost all the participants in that group, that area of the brain stopped "lighting up." In their discussion the researchers concluded that by around 23 days a habit had been formed psychologically and the need to work up motivation to exercise was no longer necessary. Exercise became natural and routine. So upshot is: after 23 straight days of getting yourself exercising, you might find the difficulty with motivation to dissipate. Getting through the 23 days might not be easy, but at least it's a limited amount I time. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you success!!
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    pretty much what everyone else said...plus I want to look great naked!
  • cynnamon93
    Options
    A study done in Canada a few years ago gathered a group of people who ha pretty sedentary lifestyles. Split into two groups the first group if people were asked to get up in the morning and immediately go on a treadmill. The second group simply kept their sedentary routine. Part of the study was some sort of brain monitoring that identified what parts if the brain were active in the participants. One of the interesting findings was th following. The people who had to get on the treadmill showed activity in a part of the brain that is associated with motivation. But after around 23 days for almost all the participants in that group, that area of the brain stopped "lighting up." In their discussion the researchers concluded that by around 23 days a habit had been formed psychologically and the need to work up motivation to exercise was no longer necessary. Exercise became natural and routine. So upshot is: after 23 straight days of getting yourself exercising, you might find the difficulty with motivation to dissipate. Getting through the 23 days might not be easy, but at least it's a limited amount I time. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you success!!

Thats very interesting!
    I appreciate this little tidbit.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i dunno...it is just something that is a natural thing to my day. it is routine, if you are trying to get motivated before each and every time you work out, it is not going to last very long.

?

You are already fit and probably been in this lifestyle for awhile.

Beginners, have to get used to it so motivation is the number one key to get them on that path to get to where you are; doing it naturally, without it being a chore.

Not really.

"Beginners" are here because they've been lacking self discipline or self control or whatever for a really long time. It wont always be easy and fun to stick to your plan to reach your goals. "Beginners" need to learn how to do what they need to do even when they dont want to and they are completely out of motivation.

otherwise, we are teaching them that not being motivated is a good enough reason to skip a workout or tank on your nutrition.

not a great way to help them start off.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The voice on the other end of the phone said if my feet go below 3.5 mph, my treadmill explodes.

(my real motivation for individual workouts is along the same reasoning: if I don't workout today, I won't achieve my goals, and only bad will come of it.)
  • UsernameIsTaken74
    Options
    I've found the hardest part is actually going to the gym from home but once i'm there I always have a great work out. One way I helped myself to overcome this was to choose a gym on the route to work so it never seems like i'm going out of my way to get there.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a new workout outfit!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    8tracks.com helps me get going.
    Just search spin, cardio, weightlifting or whatever you're doing. Playlists are free and I don't have to think about it first thing in the morning.

Also find something you ACTUALLY like doing. It took me a while but try different things. That way you look forward to it.

And try to think about how empowered you'll feel after it. :happy:
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The super dee duper holy cow that feels good self accomplishment feeling, and I changed my minset. I am an awesome individual who deserves to be taken care of, part of my maintence is exercise, it is me pampering myself. There are days every now and then that I wake up and feel ehhhh, but I know unless I am sick, I am going to do it, because I do it for me.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow isn't promised so being the best I can be today is what gets me motivated. Life is too short to keep putting things off. Time slows down for no one!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I want to look good. I want to stop saying that I want to look good and wear a bikini and actually get that body. I also would like to have a baby and while I am only 10 pounds overweight, the lighter I am the healthier a pregnancy (within reason of course)

Those are my goals that usually keep me going. But at 5:10am, when it's dark and one degree outside the LAST thing I want to do is get out of bed. So I convince myself that I will just walk when I get there.

By the time I get there I'm pumped to go and get in a solid workout. Some days I might have to walk/easy jog around the track 4-5 times to get my energy up but once you are there you won't stop.

Find what you need to do to just start the process - put on your workout clothes, grab your ipod etc. whatever it is
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am truly a LAZY @$$ person. I mean it--I'm just lazy. However, I started my journey by going on a 20 min VERY CASUAL and SLOW walk. It about killed me. Even though I'm lazy, I'm also competitive. I always want to be better than I was the day before. So, that's what has got me to running 4.73 miles in 60 min. Sure--that is slow to A LOT of people, but to the person I was when I was only walking 20min--it is a HUGE victory!!!!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no desire to gain weight!!!