Cheat Days

Options
2»

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    if you're going to do it, definitely log it. yesterday was my birthday, and while I expected to go way over I was surprised at just how far over I had gone. I ended the day with a total of 4380 calories, at least now I can hold myself accountable!

PS. for being once a year it was totally worth it lol
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Should I be logging my cheat days?

Log, whether you go over your targets or not.

Who do you see yourself as cheating?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of "cheat days." I have to agree with ndj1979 - if you want to eat something that's higher in calories, just do it and make it work with the rest of your day. Setting aside a "cheat day" seems like a way to excuse bad choices. In relationships you don't get "cheat days," nor in school or at work. Just eat what you want and be responsible by logging it.

(I'm not trying to sound like I'm on my high horse here, haha. I just had a week of horrible eating and no logging and saw a weight gain! But I'm trying to be more responsible for my intake, so for me it works best by not excusing the bad choices by calling them "cheat days" or a "cheat week." I know that some people give themselves "cheat days" every now and then and it's a great system for them. Whatever you think works the best for you is what you should do - just my opinion! Happy holidays!)
    The issue here is there are going to be days, for some of us, where wanting to eat something will wind up putting us over for the day. It may be hanging out with friends at a pub; it may be a family member's birthday dinner with cake; it may be that the portion sizes were more calorie-dense than you thought once you get to logging them after the meal; it may be that having a Reuben and some onion rings is just what you're craving after a crap week at work. It's not a "cheat meal," because those imply that there are foods you are and aren't allowed to have but that you're otherwise within caloric budget, but a day where you actually are over on calories.

If you're actually able to keep yourself from going over calorie goal, ever, for the rest of your life, congratulations. Most of us do, in fact, sometimes make mistakes, and (surprise surprise) on a health and fitness site, many of those mistakes involve food choices.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Cheat days WORK, a lot of people on here seem against them, but I've lost 9 pounds so far, I've went down a pant size, and I've lost inches, and I have a cheat day every Saturday and I don't log it.

Not against cheat days per se, but I don't entirely see the point of butchering the English language. Its a decision,take responsibility for it. Calling it a cheat is nonsense. Who is being cheated, or is it just a method of absolving oneself of responsibility for ones decisions?
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cheat days WORK, a lot of people on here seem against them, but I've lost 9 pounds so far, I've went down a pant size, and I've lost inches, and I have a cheat day every Saturday and I don't log it.

Not against cheat days per se, but I don't entirely see the point of butchering the English language. Its a decision,take responsibility for it. Calling it a cheat is nonsense. Who is being cheated, or is it just a method of absolving oneself of responsibility for ones decisions?

It works for me so I dont really care what you think.

Happy Holidays
  • socomary
    Options
    What are you cheating on? If you eat it, don't log it and don't acknowledge it, then I'd call THAT a cheat day.

If you're going to over-do it on a given day, and you don't feel like estimating everything (especially if it's a bunch of hors d'oeuvre, appetizers, buffet, what-have-you) then you can estimate as a "quick-add" or search for "buffet" and estimate the fraction or whole number of buffet plates you had (which is what I usually do).

All the talk about "cheating" and still losing weight? It might work, to a point, likely because overall those folks are still running a calorie deficit compared to what they were eating before.

This doesn't work unless you are honest with yourself about your all of your intake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of "cheat days." I have to agree with ndj1979 - if you want to eat something that's higher in calories, just do it and make it work with the rest of your day. Setting aside a "cheat day" seems like a way to excuse bad choices. In relationships you don't get "cheat days," nor in school or at work. Just eat what you want and be responsible by logging it.

(I'm not trying to sound like I'm on my high horse here, haha. I just had a week of horrible eating and no logging and saw a weight gain! But I'm trying to be more responsible for my intake, so for me it works best by not excusing the bad choices by calling them "cheat days" or a "cheat week." I know that some people give themselves "cheat days" every now and then and it's a great system for them. Whatever you think works the best for you is what you should do - just my opinion! Happy holidays!)

I'll tell you why this "fitting it into your calories" doesn't work sometimes.

Because if I want to go out to a restaurant on the weekend, most meals around over 750 calories, me and my boyfriend get a starters etc, so your saying I should starve myself all day and then go out to eat just so it fits into my calories?

so if your daily goal is 1500 calories you can't save 750 for dinner? really? Or have a 250 cal breakfast and 250 cal lunch which would leave 1250 for dinner…??????
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    so if your daily goal is 1500 calories you can't save 750 for dinner? really? Or have a 250 cal breakfast and 250 cal lunch which would leave 1250 for dinner…??????

If I got to 8PM on 500 calories I'd be ready to tear an arm off the waitress and chew on that rather than waiting for the menu :)

But would it be ok if I just used pork as an approximation from the database, and would I need to include the weight of the bones or should I take them out before weighing the arm...
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

So you don't include information about your food choices. How do you know what has an effect on you and what doesn't?

I'm not suggesting don't go over calories, just be honest with oneself about it.

Are you losing at the rate that you would expect?

In your profile you allude to eating as a coping mechanism, how do your days over goal relate to mood or other influences?

A few weeks ago I went significantly over goal, but the reason for that was because I met up with some work colleagues for dinner. OK I went over, but I added a couple of Ks to my run the following day, and the benefit of meeting up far outweighed the single day of going over.

Working on incomplete information strikes me as pointless. One might prefer to ignore that grubby little secret of a day over goal, but if they're grubby little secrets how is their effect mounting up. We shouldn't encourage ourselves to feel guilty about our food choices, face up to them, understand them and account for their effect.

As another illustration, a couple of months back I caught a nasty stomach infection after working in South Asia, as a result I spent a week with very little in my stomach. I went back to work the following week seriously lacking in energy so ended up going over about four times that week. I understand why I went over, and in all those cases it was a conscious decision. By the end of the week I was able to train to standard again, but at the beginning, after a week of losing every meal I went out for a 5Km run and burned out after 4, where normally I'd have been able to do 10 on a Sunday morning.

All grist to the mill in making progress.
  • ElegantSlenderChic
    Options
    "To cheat or not to cheat that is the question" :laugh: Everybody has their own approach but whatever you end up doing remember that your body will keep an accurate journal of what you eat, no matter how you log
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

So you don't include information about your food choices. How do you know what has an effect on you and what doesn't?

I'm not suggesting don't go over calories, just be honest with oneself about it.

Are you losing at the rate that you would expect?

In your profile you allude to eating as a coping mechanism, how do your days over goal relate to mood or other influences?

A few weeks ago I went significantly over goal, but the reason for that was because I met up with some work colleagues for dinner. OK I went over, but I added a couple of Ks to my run the following day, and the benefit of meeting up far outweighed the single day of going over.

Working on incomplete information strikes me as pointless. One might prefer to ignore that grubby little secret of a day over goal, but if they're grubby little secrets how is their effect mounting up. We shouldn't encourage ourselves to feel guilty about our food choices, face up to them, understand them and account for their effect.

As another illustration, a couple of months back I caught a nasty stomach infection after working in South Asia, as a result I spent a week with very little in my stomach. I went back to work the following week seriously lacking in energy so ended up going over about four times that week. I understand why I went over, and in all those cases it was a conscious decision. By the end of the week I was able to train to standard again, but at the beginning, after a week of losing every meal I went out for a 5Km run and burned out after 4, where normally I'd have been able to do 10 on a Sunday morning.

All grist to the mill in making progress.

Yes I am, I am losing 1 pound a week, which is what I want.

I have had months where I have taken breaks from working out but I'm losing exactly how I want.

After a cheat day, I feel fine, I go back to normal the next day.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

Because if I want to go out to a restaurant on the weekend, most meals around over 750 calories, me and my boyfriend get a starters etc, so your saying I should starve myself all day and then go out to eat just so it fits into my calories?

Like I said, My dinner normally goes over that, and me and my bf have movie night where we have some junk like chips and candy. It works for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I guess I call it a cheat day cause I ate the stuff that I normally would not eat in trying to reach my fat loss goal. I don't say weight cause I'm trying to gain lean muscle. Anyway, I do enjoy the occasional fried or sweet stuff but on this particular day we had an office lunchon and at this time it seemed impossible to be acurate about what I ate but I see that having an idea of what was consumed is better than not knowing at all...Thanks again for the suggestions.

You don't have to "cheat" to have that stuff. You can fit that stuff into a well balanced diet that is otherwise rich in nutrition...you don't have to deprive yourself of those things to lose weight...weight loss is about energy consumption, not so much the types of food you are eating. Obviously I would recommend getting plenty of nutrition, but I eat some kind of "junk food" pretty much every day so long as I know I'm hitting my nutritional goals.

Deprivation dieting doesn't work, particularly in the long run.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should log it, and here's why: you need to have a 3500 cal deficit to lose 1 lb each week. MFP sets up your deficit so you lose it through diet (500 cal deficit x 7 days = 3500 cal). If you exercise, you need to eat back the calories, otherwise you create a bigger deficit (which some people do in order to increase the amount of calories they can eat on their cheat day). The way the "cheat" day fits in is that you need to account for your calorie intake on that so you can look at your average for the week. If you eat just a few hundred calories over, you'll probably continue to lose weight consistently. If your "cheat" day is an all-out calorie blowout, you stand to screw up your average for the week completely.

Now, as you can see from the arguments, there are different schools of thoughts on this. Some people like to eat what they want and just fit it into their calories for the day everyday. Other people like to restrict during the week and have a cheat day where they just eat all the extra calories they've earned while still maintaining the deficit. Mathematically, both ways can work and you can see results. The sticking point is what works for you. If you are good about controlling intake and portion sizes, you could go with the first method and just work it into your daily routine. If you're one of those people who is still working on their relationship with food and can't eat a few chips without eating the whole bag, the "cheat" day method might be better for you until you get more comfortable with logging, meal planning, and lifestyle change in general. It's up to you as to what works best for you.

Ideally, you want to get to a point where no food is "off limits" and you learn to include those foods in your day to day life, but it takes some of us longer to get there than others. Even people who have been doing this for awhile still have questions and need to tweak, as you can see from the questions in the forums.
  • katpudda
    katpudda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree. A lifestyle change is not a one size fits all! Some people can handle cheat days, some cannot. I keep trigger foods out of my home. Every once in a while. I allow myself to eat something that isn't part of my healthy eating plan. The difference being is that I eat it and move on. I don't dwell on it, I don't chastise myself. I have had a long unhealthy relationship with food. We have been breaking up for almost one year. I tell myself I could eat it if I wanted to, I just choose not to. Good Luck.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

I would say absolutely not. I'd rather go over by 500--allowing 1000 for breakfast, a snack and lunch-- and then eat 250 less for 2 days.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I'd probably log it.

I don't necessarily have cheat days but when I am in the habit of eating well and exercising I don't necessarily WANT to have any treats and junk like that because it makes me feel like crap. So in those instances I might just take a day and have a cheat meal where I just eat whatever I want and don't concern myself too much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Eh, I don't log my cheat days, I cheat every Saturday and I have been losing weight.

I got by TDEE -20% which is about 1600 calories for me, I eat about 1300 during the week and then on Saturday, I make up for all the calories I didn't eat during the week.

So it's like a re-feed day.

Works for me.

it would work for everyone. you're still eating at a deficit.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    I would say definitely log "cheat days" or over days. Like other people suggested just make a ballpark figure if you can't seem to find what you are looking for. But I think that by doing this you really do "OWN" it. Don't feel bad about it but do log it so you are aware of it of course.

You will find that being accountable with everything makes you feel more in control of your weight loss journey (well at least it does for me). And the next day just have a little less - or the next day or so. I do also agree with giving yourself something you like everyday so cravings don't add up. I tried to do that myself and instead went over my calories today because I binged. But I logged it and will fix my calories tomorrow and add in more exercise etc.