I think I am full of s*it.....literally

Options
So I have been getting smaller everywhere but my stomach. I look like I am 5mos. pregnant! Feel free to look at my pics and offer advice. I am at a loss.:sad:

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You might be retaining water there. Are you drinking at least 60 ounces of water a day and watching your sodium intake? The only way to lose FAT around your abs is through diet. Strength training will help build the muscle, but it won't matter at all if there is a layer of fat covering it. Just avoid all junk foods, and you'll be sure to see a change.
    Good luck!
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    I think the belly fat is the hardest to get rid of. I would keep on working out, keep on going and focus on core exercises to strengthen your belly muscles. If you are worried about your belly for real, you might want to see a doctor to be at ease and make sure everything is OK, but I think you will get there! :)
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure to do ab exercises? People carry their weight differently. I have chunky legs, so does my mom and grandma. No matter how hard I try, I carry my weight in my legs. Maybe focus some workouts on abs and see if that helps at all
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I think I need to get rid of built up wast in my intestines.......
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i know how frustrating that is, but stay the course! it seems that what we want to lose most is the last thing to go. typical, right? i know that spot-training isn't possible, but any ab work that i do helps me be able to 'suck in' more. i've also found that walking has helped me lose inches from my stomach. i do a lot of other cardio too, but for whatever reason, walking has had a positive impact on that area. good luck! it'll happen!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Blueberry smoothies tend to "clean me out" if you know what I mean. Maybe try one of those?
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking in protein? I know this sounds crazy but when my protein intake was less I wouldnt lose weight from this area and once I started to do some weight training and ab workouts and raised my protein the gut started to go away.

Also keep in mind the rule. First on first off, last on last off. It's very true so far by my weight loss.
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    I went look at your diary rather quickly, and I would recommend a change in diet:

Lower your sodium intake: No ramen noodles, cook spaghetti instead!
    Lower your carbonation intake: Too much beer and soda pops! That will blow you up! 72 oz of beer seems like an excess to me! That has a lot of bubbles that *will* make your belly bloated.
    Eat more veggies: Fresh green leaf veggies will provide a lot of good fiber that will help your intestines.

Just suggestions, think about it before going into any crazy "cleansing" move. Diet is the best and safest way of controlling these things.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Both Ramen and Beer are not gonna help in the yeast, carb and sodium area.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Oh...well that makes sense.
  • KJFurlong
    Options
    I know I've seen people eating everything from grapes and blueberries to acai berries, but for me, nothing clears out the intestines like lots of insanely hot peppers. If you can eat them, habaneros, red savina habeneros, and if you can get them, bhut jolokia (ghost chilis) will clean you out.

My personal theory is that the capsaicin (the chemical that causes the "heat" sensation) will bind itself to the remnants of old partially digested meals in your intestines, which in turn will make your intestines very angry and get rid of anything holding that heat.

I know it sounds crazy, but I love super hot food, and when I started growing my own red savina habeneros and ghost chilis, and would add them to turkey chili, my "output" over a 24-hour period would be significantly higher than my "input". It has to be coming from my intestines and bowels.

Just a theory. Good luck. Keep up the good work.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Hi there. I had a look at your pics and I think some of your belly issues may be solved by strengthening you core muscles, particularly your lower abs. It looks as if the lower abs are not engaging and/or your lower back muscles may be too tight causing your pelvis to tilt forward and down, which in turn causes your belly to protrude. This also causes the curve in your lower back to become exaggerated (hyperextending the spine) which could cause lower back pain. I'm currently dealing with weak/lazy lower abs myself as well as weak glutes. You could try yoga or pilates to help correct your posture and strengthen those muscles.
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    Hmmmm. I know my beer is not that good for me(although hops and barley are whole grain,right......no? Damn!) And I do have the occasional ramen on my lazy days,but I am at a loss on the sodium . I never gave sodium a second tought before MFP. It is everywhere! I have never been one to put salt on my food,but I have recently discovered that I have high blood pressure. Can sodium really affect my mid section even though I am slamming the water? Considering all that I have given up so far (Pack a day of Marlboro menthol,Pot of coffee every morning,6 pack of beer every night,fast food at least once a day,136oz a day Pepsi habit) I am not sure if I can give up my monday and weekend beers. I know I will one day,just maybe not today!!!
    I really appreciate those eye opening responses...Keep 'em coming!

But could it possibly be built up waste in my bowels,I guess is my real question.:embarassed:
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    Hi there. I had a look at your pics and I think some of your belly issues may be solved by strengthening you core muscles, particularly your lower abs. It looks as if the lower abs are not engaging and/or your lower back muscles may be too tight causing your pelvis to tilt forward and down, which in turn causes your belly to protrude. This also causes the curve in your lower back to become exaggerated (hyperextending the spine) which could cause lower back pain. I'm currently dealing with weak/lazy lower abs myself as well as weak glutes. You could try yoga or pilates to help correct your posture and strengthen those muscles.

Thank you so much! I recently bought some videos but find it hard to relax and hold the poses while watching the T.V. I will keep trying though! My back does hurt and I never thought that may be why.
    :flowerforyou:
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Doubt it. I know you are hoping it's that but really it isn't. You would be substaining 5+ pounds of fecal matter which I can't see. 1-2 lbs you can lose through a colon cleansing but 5 or more I just cant fathom.
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    :) I think you are improving a lot, since you have given up all that, but... sodium will blow you a lot. I really think you should diminish it, especially since you have high blood pressure!! D:

And just think about it, it is not very realistic to think that you have 'leftover waste' in your gut. Your intestine is made to empty itself every so many hours (depending on the person). Eat more fiber! This will help to move your intestine more if that is what you want. Also, if you were used to drink that much, your liver might be enlarged and make your belly protrude. I would just keep the beer down (1 or 2 a day tops!) and give your liver time to heal. The liver is an awesome organ that can heal itself so it will go back to normal if you let it! And that will make your belly smaller! I promise!

I would highly advice against 'cleansing' products. They promise all these wonders, but do you really understand the real effects of those compounds on a mucous membrane as your intestine? Do you understand the effects of those chemicals on your body? Would you be completely confident that doing any of those treatments will *only* affect the lumen of your intestine and nothing else?
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    I know I've seen people eating everything from grapes and blueberries to acai berries, but for me, nothing clears out the intestines like lots of insanely hot peppers. If you can eat them, habaneros, red savina habeneros, and if you can get them, bhut jolokia (ghost chilis) will clean you out.

My personal theory is that the capsaicin (the chemical that causes the "heat" sensation) will bind itself to the remnants of old partially digested meals in your intestines, which in turn will make your intestines very angry and get rid of anything holding that heat.

I know it sounds crazy, but I love super hot food, and when I started growing my own red savina habeneros and ghost chilis, and would add them to turkey chili, my "output" over a 24-hour period would be significantly higher than my "input". It has to be coming from my intestines and bowels.

Just a theory. Good luck. Keep up the good work.

Really???? Im going pepper shopping! thanks! I love hot food!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    The latest issue of First magazine (orange cover) has a big article on vitamin D and how it can help with weight loss, especially belly fat. Although it seems like you look pretty great.