Teenage sister and I/TDEE and maintenance?

Hi!
So my teenager sister (she's 16) has an issue, she came to me recently about how she's been eating 1200 calories for a few months and it broke my heart because I went through the same thing and am also wanting to get better. She brought up the point that she read that she could be eating a lot more and maintaining, and so could I, but we're both a little scared of the weight gain that upping calories to maintenance would bring (?). I haven't had my period (TMI?) in months, I don't know if she's had hers. I'm really worried about her because I keep reading that girls her age need 1800-2000 calories, but she's so scared of gaining weight that she's only eating 1200 calories a day. I eat 1300 calories and am also afraid to up intake to maintenance for my weight (1500 cals, 94 pounds, I'm 5ft). My sister doesn't know her maintenance because of her age. She is 90 pounds, 4"11.

We are both curious about TDEE, especially maintenance for teenage girls her height and weight, because figuring mine out is much simpler (adult female=1500 cals for my height/weight). Our mom is setting up a consultation with a nutritionist in January, but my sister is so stressed and worried that I need some reassurance for her NOW. Will upping calories to maintenance cause either of us to gain weight? Also, should I just up my calories for my amenhorrea anyway? :/
Thanks....

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I put her info into the above TDEE calculator, and even if she's sedentary (very few people are) her maintenance is about 1500.

Edit: It's 1500 if she's sedentary, (same for you, and I doubt either of you do nothing but sit on the couch all day), if you are even a tiny bit active it will be higher for both of you.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Also just saw you posted the same topic twice, sorry for the same answer twice! :smile:
  • http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I put her info into the above TDEE calculator, and even if she's sedentary (very few people are) her maintenance is about 1500.

Edit: It's 1500 if she's sedentary, (same for you, and I doubt either of you do nothing but sit on the couch all day), if you are even a tiny bit active it will be higher for both of you.

That's what I hear, for me, so I'm good with that, but I read that girls her age need a lot more calories because they're developing... and I'm a yoga teacher and she does gymnastics, so not exactly sedentary ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    if you haven't had your period in months, I would suggest not even worrying about weight, and trying to get them back. it may be a case of eating enough healthy fats and carbs, and possibly reducing your exercise

eta...just read that you're recovering from an ed. apologies - i'm sure it would be hard for you to "just forget about weight" like I suggested. your body has likely been deprived of nutrients for so long as well as calories. it may take a while for it to realise you aren't going to starve it again.....but you do need to eat more. whilst eating more may mean you gain weight, it'll have so many benefits on other areas of your health and life. i'd focus on nutrient dense foods, and good sources of protein and fat to try and give your body what it has been missing.