Twinkie Diet

Options
I am of the belief that you can have what you like in moderation or if you work it off in the gym. Heres an article I just read on CNN.

(CNN) -- Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"
Haub's sample day
Espresso, Double: 6 calories; 0 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Centrum Advanced Formula From A To Zinc: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Little Debbie Star Crunch: 150 calories; 6 grams of fat

Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat

Diet Mountain Dew: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat

Doritos Cool Ranch: 75 calories; 4 grams of fat

Kellogg's Corn Pops: 220 calories; 0 grams of fat

whole milk: 150 calories; 8 grams of fat

baby carrots: 18 calories; 0 grams of fat

Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge: 270 calories; 14 grams of fat

Little Debbie Zebra Cake: 160 calories; 8 grams of fat

Muscle Milk Protein Shake: 240 calories; 9 grams of fat

Totals: 1,589 calories and 59 grams of fat

Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.

"I'm not geared to say this is a good thing to do," he said. "I'm stuck in the middle. I guess that's the frustrating part. I can't give a concrete answer. There's not enough information to do that."

Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks.

Families who live in food deserts have limited access to fresh fruits and vegetables, so they often rely on the kind of food Haub was eating.

"These foods are consumed by lots of people," he said. "It may be an issue of portion size and moderation rather than total removal. I just think it's unrealistic to expect people to totally drop these foods for vegetables and fruits. It may be healthy, but not realistic."

Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent. This posed the question: What matters more for weight loss, the quantity or quality of calories?

His success is probably a result of caloric reduction, said Dawn Jackson Blatner, a dietitian based in Atlanta, Georgia.

"It's a great reminder for weight loss that calories count," she said. "Is that the bottom line to being healthy? That's another story."

Blatner, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, said she's not surprised to hear Haub's health markers improved even when he loaded up on processed snack cakes.

Being overweight is the central problem that leads to complications like high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol, she said.

How well are you managing your diabetes?

"When you lose weight, regardless of how you're doing it -- even if it's with packaged foods, generally you will see these markers improve when weight loss has improved," she said.

Before jumping on the Ding Dong bandwagon, Blatner warned of health concerns.

"There are things we can't measure," said Blatner, questioning how the lack of fruits and vegetables could affect long-term health. "How much does that affect the risk for cancer? We can't measure how diet changes affect our health."
I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much.
--Professor Mark Haub
RELATED TOPICS

* Healthy Eating
* Hostess Twinkies
* Kansas State University
* Weight Loss
* Diet and Nutrition

On August 25, Haub, 41, started his cake diet focusing on portion control.

"I'm eating to the point of need and pushing the plate or wrapper away," he said.

He intended the trial to last a month as a teaching tool for his class. As he lost weight, Haub continued the diet until he reached a normal body mass index.

Before his Twinkie diet, he tried to eat a healthy diet that included whole grains, dietary fiber, berries and bananas, vegetables and occasional treats like pizza.

"There seems to be a disconnect between eating healthy and being healthy," Haub said. "It may not be the same. I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much."

He maintained the same level of moderate physical activity as before going on the diet. (Haub does not have any ties to the snack cake companies.)

To avoid setting a bad example for his kids, Haub ate vegetables in front of his family. Away from the dinner table, he usually unwrapped his meals.

Study: U.S. obesity rate will hit 42 percent

Haub monitored his body composition, blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose, and updated his progress on his Facebook page, Professor Haub's diet experiment.

To curb calories, he avoided meat, whole grains and fruits. Once he started adding meat into the diet four weeks ago, his cholesterol level increased.

Haub plans to add about 300 calories to his daily intake now that he's done with the diet. But he's not ditching snack cakes altogether. Despite his weight loss, Haub feels ambivalence.

"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html?hpt=T2

Replies

• 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like!
  • briannagolden
    Options
    WOW...that will make you think a little differently about EVERYTHING!!! :glasses:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Gives you something to think about!
    I eat several tiny chocolate treats (about 42 calories each) per day, factoring them into my total calories. It makes me feel less deprived. I am at my goal weight, but will continue to monitor my foods for the time being. I hope his Isles of Langerhan stay in good shape--and my gall bladder! ;)
  • AmeliaDouglas
    AmeliaDouglas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think I am doing this experiment right now! I have an eating problem, I really, really like fat and sugar. (I am making my way through a big bag of mini Reese peanut butter cups as we "speak." I have been tracking my calories in/out with this site since May. In recent months, my fat and sugar diet has been out of control. I eat so much ice cream and cheese and chocolate! However, every single day when I push the 'complete diary' button, it tells me I WILL lose weight. I debated this topic with my brother recently (very fit personal trainer) and he agreed that at the most basic level (calories in vs. calories out) I should still lose weight.
    I AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT. I haven't lost weight in 2 months. I blame lots of things (the pill!) but I exercise a lot (800 calories a day average) and am soooo hungry.... the eating is probably to blame. I must not be very accurate when I calculate my exercise or my calories eaten because I am always close to my calorie goal and I am still stuck here... fat and eating fat.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thats very interesting!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    I don't say I can't have anything.... but I chose to have some or not to have some, its not that I can't have any!! I count every calorie I put in my mouth!!
    I don't eat "clean" or great.... but I am happy and I am feeling better!!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. I think, especially the people here, realize that a calorie deficit is the way to lose weight. I won't be doing the old twinkie diet anytime soon though. As he pointed out, it's probably not recommended, and a few numbers that remained the same or got better like cholesterol levels are not really big picture stuff and can fluctuate in either direction in a matter of weeks with changes in diet, but I'd be more concerned about the long term affects of eating heavily processed foods like a twinkie on a regular basis, not to mention that they are made up of things that are not even actually food. I'm all about moderation, but I'll still stick to mainly whole foods, and a treat for me is a good steak not a twinkie. Still thanks for that, I'm going to pass this along to a couple people that still are looking for that magic pill to lose weight rather than accept that calorie reduction, of any calories, is the way to go.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22107/35281-twinkie-ingredients-revealed
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Very Interesting...I added a comment on his FB acct and see if I get an answer...losing 50 lbs and staying at or under1200 cal, 30 G fat and 250 or under Mg of cholesterol for the last 4 months and my cholesterol went up !!!! My HDL (Good fat) went down..explain that one to me..i am sooo frustrated and DR offers no answers...UGHHH
  • mzenzer
    Options
    Very Interesting...I added a comment on his FB acct and see if I get an answer...losing 50 lbs and staying at or under1200 cal, 30 G fat and 250 or under Mg of cholesterol for the last 4 months and my cholesterol went up !!!! My HDL (Good fat) went down..explain that one to me..i am sooo frustrated and DR offers no answers...UGHHH

Seems like it certainly should not go up. May I ask though what is your source of cholesterol and fat? I just brought my cholesterol down from 264 to 193 in about 6 months. Besides exercise and a clean diet with a heavy focus of fish (particularly salmon), olive oil, and nuts, I also took Kril and red yeast rice.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A very interesting read but it poses 2 questions for me...

#1 How hungry was he? I know that for myself when I eat junk like that, especially sugary junk, it takes a LOT more calories in order to keep me full. Not to mention his sustained energy levels throughout the day.

#2 What are the effects on his metabolism? Yes, we all know that calorie in / calorie out is what matters for weight loss but how much of that weight is muscle? We also know that having more lean muscle mass improves your metabolism, and with a diet like that and no meat, he's at a serious deficit of protien for his size, so he definitely isn't building any muscle.

Thoughts?
  • leggymomma64
    leggymomma64 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is so funny, I was just talking to an MFP friend about this. I started out really well, avoiding the sugary treats, but gradually, I seem to be induging at least once a day. The great thing is I am still losing weight!!! I am just tracking my TOTAL calorie intake and making sure I don't go over my set # of calories per day. I can't vouch for the stats like cholesterol and such, but I can say from my personal experience, I have been keeping the calorie count in check and I have lost 33 lbs in 8 weeks, and I have been raiding my kids halloween candy and eating ice cream and such! I just balance it with excercise and lower calorie meals and snacks to ensure I am within my calorie allowance. It can be done!! :wink:
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Seems like it certainly should not go up. May I ask though what is your source of cholesterol and fat? I just brought my cholesterol down from 264 to 193 in about 6 months. Besides exercise and a clean diet with a heavy focus of fish (particularly salmon), olive oil, and nuts, I also took Kril and red yeast rice.

I eat fish alot, turkey (white meat only) and chicken. Everything dairy is fat free, veggies, brown rice, eggbeaters, ect. I eat VERY LEAN red meat MAYBE 1-2 times a month...so IDK what i did wrong to make it go up this last time..
    I take 2000 mg Omega 3 Fish oil pills and a MultiVitamin..and now DR put me on Zocor :(
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    My diet does not account for my cholesterol numbers either. Doc told me sometimes it is just genetics, and that even with ideal diet and exercise they numbers would still be bad. Not fair, huh? :grumble:
  • mzenzer
    Options

I eat fish alot, turkey (white meat only) and chicken. Everything dairy is fat free, veggies, brown rice, eggbeaters, ect. I eat VERY LEAN red meat MAYBE 1-2 times a month...so IDK what i did wrong to make it go up this last time..
    I take 2000 mg Omega 3 Fish oil pills and a MultiVitamin..and now DR put me on Zocor :(

Ok then well maybe like another poster said, it's genetics. That seems to be the way it is in my family. Both my sisters are thin, eat healthy, and had cholesterol in the same range that I did, around 260 to 270 or so. We all got it down, but with natural stuff. I'm not going to sit here and go against what your Dr. did, but personally I don't use any pharmaceuticals whatsoever unless absolutely necessary, and, I also found that to really get your cholesterol down, and down pretty fast, that good diet and exercise are often not enough, but you need multiple supplements, and basically whatever the label says to take, I double it. That worked for me. To get my down initially I took lots of kril (a form of omega-3) and red yeast rice, then after I stopped that I just took regular fish oil because even though my overall was good, and everything else was good except my ldl was 123 and it needed to be below 99. The fish oil did the trick for that, but again I took more than the normal dosage.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options

I have the misfortune of lousy genetics and have been on Zocor for years. the one thing that really helps me keep my total cholesteral down is exercise. Are you exercising?