Dumb question but...

Options
How can I keep from feeling hungry? For example, I ate a reasonable sized homemade salad for dinner this evening (appx 3 cups of salad mix, w/ light dressing), which included a drained can of tuna, and 5 hours later, I'm already hungry again. I just started dieting if that affects anything... Is this just a "suck it up, stop whining, and live with it" thing?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How can I keep from feeling hungry? For example, I ate a reasonable sized homemade salad for dinner this evening (appx 3 cups of salad mix, w/ light dressing), which included a drained can of tuna, and 5 hours later, I'm already hungry again. I just started dieting if that affects anything... Is this just a "suck it up, stop whining, and live with it" thing?

Doesn't sound like a reasonable amount of calories especially if it was low fat dressing and tuna in springwater or brine so no oil. You might need to add more healthy fats into that meal and don't be scared of carbs either. You just have to hit your calorie goal for the day. How many calories are you on net?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary to give suggestions. How many calories are you eating all day? If you're exercising are you eating calories back. And if I only ate a salad at night I would be hungry again too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

5 hours later? why wouldnt you be hungry 5 hours later!
  • playful1510
    playful1510 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Doesn't sound like a reasonable amount of calories especially if it was low fat dressing and tuna in springwater or brine so no oil. You might need to add more healthy fats into that meal and don't be scared of carbs either. You just have to hit your calorie goal for the day. How many calories are you on net?
    I only logged for dinner and a few snacks, but total seemed to be 1230 for the day... I only logged those, because strangely I only made an account in time for dinner and snacks. :/
  • playful1510
    Options
    Can't see your diary to give suggestions. How many calories are you eating all day? If you're exercising are you eating calories back. And if I only ate a salad at night I would be hungry again too.
    Diary is now set to public, sorry >_< I only logged dinner and snacks, because strangely I only made an account in time for dinner and snacks. No exercise yet... I want to lose some weight before I start exercising to help my poor poor joints and feet, since I already have Plantar Fasciitis.
  • playful1510
    Options
    Shouldn't all the fiber keep me from being hungry for longer?
  • nazish17
    nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It maybe because your new and adjusting to changes. What you can do is try it out for a few days and if these feelings persist slowly increase your daily intake by 100-200 kcals.

Hopefully you will find a number that works for you and allows you to loose a reasonable amount of weight in a reasonable amount of time.

To help keep you feeling full for longer increase the dietary fiber - such as grains and whole meal bread etc. you consume and also drink plenty of water for fluid.
    As pointed out above that 5 hours is not a short time to be feeling hungry again, but if this is not a norm for you then I would give the above a try.

INBOX/ADD me for any other help or support you may need.

Good Luck, don't be disheartened.

N x
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I only logged for dinner and a few snacks, but total seemed to be 1230 for the day... I only logged those, because strangely I only made an account in time for dinner and snacks. :/

theres no time limit on when you can log things....
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Shouldn't all the fiber keep me from being hungry for longer?

i wouldnt have thought so, it was only a bit of salad!
  • nazish17
    nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Agreed - resulting a maximum of maybe 150-200 kcals
  • playful1510
    Options

True, however, I didn't eat either lunch nor breakfast today (winter-break-sleep-in-all-day yay), so there is nothing to put there. Sorry about the infinite quotes. I'm fixing those right now.
  • Nate0047
    Nate0047 Posts: 105
    Options

Ditto what this guy said. I eat every 3-4 hours.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

True, however, I didn't eat either lunch nor breakfast today (winter-break-sleep-in-all-day yay), so there is nothing to put there. Sorry about the infinite quotes. I'm fixing those right now.

so you have just eaten a salad all day and you're wondering why you're hungry??
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Ditto what this guy said. I eat every 3-4 hours.

girl... does 'toad' make me sound manly!? :sad:
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry... eat.....
    There's no magic time or number of meals a day because we're all different.

you mentioned "Seemed to be" when talking about caloric intake so my question would be are you weighing food? or just using the eyeball method or measuring cups/spoons.
  • playful1510
    Options
    so you have just eaten a salad all day and you're wondering why you're hungry??

Well when you put it like that, I just sound silly! :P
  • playful1510
    Options
    If you're hungry... eat.....
    There's no magic time or number of meals a day because we're all different.

you mentioned "Seemed to be" when talking about caloric intake so my question would be are you weighing food? or just using the eyeball method or measuring cups/spoons.
    Turn of phrase, I swear! I weighed out everything that I could, except for the vinaigrette ingredients, which, since there weren't weight options for the logging, I... maybe... slightly... possibly eye-balled those...
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Hi Playful!

I see you're new on here... don't worry - I think most of us had quite a few "dumb questions" when we started out :-) Okay, so... first off I must say that the salad you described would probably only keep me feeling full (or maybe not even "full" but just not hungry) for maybe two hours, max, so don't feel bad about getting that hungry feeling.

If you're new to eating these smaller portions, you will feel hungry more frequently the first several days as your stomach shrinks. And, there will be times that you feel hungry even after that... but don't worry, feeling hungry isn't the end of the world :-)

If you are wanting to eat such small meals as the one you described, you should probably also supplement with having healthy snacks a couple times a day to curb the hunger. Crunchy veggies (cucumber, carrots, celery, jicama, etc) with hummus can be great snacks! Just remember to measure the hummus so you don't accidentally eat many hundreds of calories of it.

I have been eating small meals lately, but I pretty much always carry with me a snack-size ziploc bag that contains 20 almonds, 1/4-1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, and a very small amount (less than an ounce) of chopped up dried fruit. The high protein and fiber content of this little mix makes a few bites of it very good at curbing my appetite! I also love both salty and sweet things, and this combo meets both. I allow myself one of these little baggies a day, as well as munching on veggies when I'm near them. With the baggie, having one per day helps me with portion/calorie control throughout the day... I just eat what I need from it when I want to :-)

I'm happy to help answer some of those "dumb questions" that I'm sure will come up for you as you embark on this healthy lifestyle journey - feel free to add me as a friend!

~ Lacey
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eating every 5 hours (or less) is normal....

Including plenty of protein and fat in your meal will keep you satisfied. Your meal was low in fat!