Do I NEED to Lift?

Options
I see a lot of people on here talking about losing LBM along with fat and advising people to lift while they lose to prevent a loss of LBM... but if I do a lot of heavy lifting during the day at work, I should retain the muscle that I have, correct? I work in a warehouse that sells after market power sports merchandise and I have to lift boxes that often weigh between 50 and 80lbs. I definitely gained a lot of muscle everywhere since I started working there two years ago and I don't see why I wouldn't retain it if I'm performing the same activities, but I'm not really too familiar with the science behind losing fat and muscle and I would like to get a few opinions. I don't want to look bedraggled once I reach my goal weight...

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Lifting helps decrease the LBM lost during a caloric deficit. It seems that you wouldn't be progressively overloading your muscles, so you may not gain the benefit of a proper lifting routine.

I believe the stress caused by the lifting tells the body to spare the muscle. If you have already adapted the stress response would be less?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Your job is an awesome reason to pick up the book starting strength and follow that program or one like it
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I will look into that. Thanks. :]
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Lifting 50 to 80lb boxes for two years would be more cardio work.

Try lifting 400lbs with a deadlift for reps.
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    I'm not trying to get stronger or increase my muscle mass, I just don't want to lose the LBM that I DO have while I'm also losing fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want to get stronger? Getting stronger would make your job easier.
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want to get stronger? Getting stronger would make your job easier.

Because not everybody that uses MFP has the same goals. I will be starting school in early February and my schedule will be booked from 7am-12am every weekday between work, school and commuting. Those remaining 7 hours are to get ready for bed, take care of my pets and sleep. The weekends will be for chores, errands, family, cooking food for the following week and studying. I won't have time to stick to any kind of work out routine. I'm already overwhelming myself without putting a strength-gain goal on top of it. Right now I am here to lose weight. In a year, when school is finished, I will focus on fitness but I SERIOUSLY doubt my goal will include 400lb deadlift reps. It's not something that interests me.

ETA: Also, my job isn't difficult for me to do. I don't need it to be easier.
  • chatty826
    Options
    Your job is an awesome reason to pick up the book starting strength and follow that program or one like it

Agree with this guy!! Fire fighters, police men ect lift in the gym to help them lift better at work
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    An overall fitness program would include lifting, cardio, stretching, etc. Each activity provides specific benefits. If you are purely worried about weight loss and muscle retention, you could try doing circuit training to cover two out of three.

LBM is going to be lost regardless of lifting, it is just lost to a lesser degree. The body responds to the added stress and tries to hold on to the muscle. You aren't going to become frail and weak from not lifting.

Lose your weight and if you find you don't like your appearance at that weight, lift then.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When ur at work, u mostly do the same motion over and over = lifting boxes. When u go to the gym there are 20 different machines and exercizes u can do, so u exercize many more muscles than u do at work. (yeah I know there are hundreds of exercizes, but i do at least 20)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    No one NEEDS to do anything.

Do you WANT to? Yes? Then do it.

If not. Don't. It's really that simple.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Because not everybody that uses MFP has the same goals. I will be starting school in early February and my schedule will be booked from 7am-12am every weekday between work, school and commuting. Those remaining 7 hours are to get ready for bed, take care of my pets and sleep. The weekends will be for chores, errands, family, cooking food for the following week and studying. I won't have time to stick to any kind of work out routine. I'm already overwhelming myself without putting a strength-gain goal on top of it. Right now I am here to lose weight. In a year, when school is finished, I will focus on fitness but I SERIOUSLY doubt my goal will include 400lb deadlift reps. It's not something that interests me.

ETA: Also, my job isn't difficult for me to do. I don't need it to be easier.

Just read that book! He makes a pretty good case in the first chapter. According to Rippetoe, strength training is not a luxury, but rather a therapy designed to return your body to a more natural state of functioning.

I too started this process more concerned with muscle mass (preserving or building), but as time went on I my goals shifted. I had no idea how getting stronger would improve every aspect of my life! And not every improvement is physical either. For instance, I'm more patient with people now, and I don't get frustrated when there is a little glitch in a well laid plan.

If that doesn't convince you though, let me assure you that following a strength routine (as opposed to bodybuilding) will be perfectly effective at preserving your muscle mass, and no less so than a bodybuilding program.