Just bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women...

Options
... it is a little pressie to myself and will probably arrive in time for me to get back on it after the Christmas break.
Any advice on getting started - like equipment I should buy or anything to help me prepare?

Thanks,
Nikki :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chatty826
    Options
    Remember to take adequate rest days when lifting and get sleep

Rest =Recovery

Merry Christmas!!
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    to prepare...you gotta have a plan, protocols to go by.
    take mini steps. what is your goal?
    u dont need any equipment to start to lose some lbs. 90% is your intake.
    if you do want to lift, will you consider your bodyweight first then slowly progress to weights?
    how can I help?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    if you do want to lift, will you consider your bodyweight first then slowly progress to weights?
    how can I help?

You really have no clue do you?

OP, did you really look at the program before deciding to do it? Or just hear about it here?
    It is a very informative book but a complicated program. I made it through Stage 1 before switching programs because my gym didnt have everything I needed for later stages ( or stage 1 actually)

Off of tye top of my head, youll need a bench with a rack for a barbell, a squat rack or power cage (cage negates rack on bench) , barbells, plates, Dumbbells increasingly heavy, an exercise ball, a cable tower, and a step. Thats just stage one.

If you still want to do the program and get the equipment yourself, look around on craigslist and in the classifieds for it. Or join a gym. Or sw8tch to a less complicated program like Startibg Strength or Stronglifts
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I though NROLFW required a gym, because of squats. Most people don't have a squat rack. And, I thought you need to do Deadlifts, which require a barbell and plates.

The program is great. The one thing I've heard is it progresses a little too fast compared with other programs, but don't worry too much about that. You'll know when you get to that point.

Good luck. Lifting is going to change your life.

You can squat and deadlift at home if you have the equipment. Quite a few friends of mine do. But they dont do NROLFW. There are some modifications in the book for those who work out at home
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I though NROLFW required a gym, because of squats. Most people don't have a squat rack. And, I thought you need to do Deadlifts, which require a barbell and plates.

The program is great. The one thing I've heard is it progresses a little too fast compared with other programs, but don't worry too much about that. You'll know when you get to that point.

You can squat and deadlift at home if you have the equipment. Quite a few friends of mine do. But they dont do NROLFW. There are some modifications in the book for those who work out at home

What I said is MOST PEOPLE DONT HAVE A SQUAT RACK. Nor do MOST PEOPLE HAVE A BARBELL AND OLY PLATES. I didn't say, it's impossible, or that SOME PEOPLE do have that equipment and the space in their homes.

Thanks for the correction though. That was an important point most reasonably intelligent people would have missed.

Dude its 7am, why are you yelling?

Also I wouldnt use the phrase "most do/don't".
    You'd be surprised at how many people have this equipment.
    Its that not all use it which is why it ends up on craigslist. And I get to stare longingly at it because I live in an apartment and and can't get it =[
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think there are quite a few people in the NROLFW group who have home gym set-ups so you might want to join that group to get ideas.

i think it's personally easier to do it in a gym because if you're doing the program as written and increasing your weights with every workout then you will be eating through weights. if you do decide to join a gym and do it there, take a tour first because not every gym has a squat cage or olympic bars or decent free weights for that matter.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate enough to have a gym at work...love NROL4W.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Be prepared to eat more if you want good results and are eating too little.

Be prepared to wait a few months to see results (but then get totally addicted to rubbing your hands over your own muscles.. lol)

Be prepared to not know what you are doing at first, but stick with it and you will figure it out. Look at videos online or check out Lou's videos on youtube.

There are at home options listed in the book, but you will probably need some heavy dumbbells at some point. If you are new to it all you will have a bit of time to figure it out. Learning the motions and correct form are key, and once you master the stuff you will know what you are looking for.

I went through NROL4W twice last year, I loved it and had great results but the scale didn't move down (it went up). Don't get discouraged by that!
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Be prepared to wait a few months to see results (but then get totally addicted to rubbing your hands over your own muscles.. lol)

Be prepared to not know what you are doing at first, but stick with it and you will figure it out. Look at videos online or check out Lou's videos on youtube.

There are at home options listed in the book, but you will probably need some heavy dumbbells at some point. If you are new to it all you will have a bit of time to figure it out. Learning the motions and correct form are key, and once you master the stuff you will know what you are looking for.

I went through NROL4W twice last year, I loved it and had great results but the scale didn't move down (it went up). Don't get discouraged by that!

^This
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ... it is a little pressie to myself and will probably arrive in time for me to get back on it after the Christmas break.
    Any advice on getting started - like equipment I should buy or anything to help me prepare?

Thanks,
    Nikki :flowerforyou:

It's not a complicated program at all, but I will admit, the actual workout sequencing seems confusing at first. I did the whole program and saw great strength improvement. I hadn't done much exercise in several years but enjoyed weight lifting when I was younger. There's a group here on MFP dedicated to this specific program. Join, ask questions, listen to the women there! They are brilliant and oh so willing to share their experieces.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My advice...The book lays out the program...follow the program for best results.

My wife does New Rules and enjoys it. Stage I is a bit lame, but it's meant to be an introduction...it gets more intense as you advance and learn new lifts, etc. You may or may not need someone to show you some of the lifts...they're not really complicated but a lot of women complain that they are...really they just need someone to show them the movement or watch it a few times on YouTube or something to realize it's really all very easy and effective.
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Remember to take adequate rest days when lifting and get sleep

Rest =Recovery

Merry Christmas!!

Thanks for the tip! Wishing you a Happy Christmas too!
    how can I help?

Hi - Initially my goal was to lose weight and improve my fitness. I've reached my 'ideal' weight but my goals have evolved along my journey. I've seen my body change shape and become more defined and now I want to try and develop and encourage my calves to become more sculpted, my thighs to become shapely, my shoulders and arms to be more pronounced.
    I'm improving my diet and it isn't too bad now (with the odd treat and cheat meal). Always room for improvement though!
  • rosettafaery
    Options
    I thought NROLFW required a gym, because of squats. Most people don't have a squat rack. And, I thought you need to do Deadlifts, which require a barbell and plates.

I joined the gym a few months back and have been using the weight machines. I have liked how my body has developed since using them but I always have to wait for the machines as they are popular. It's especially irritating when there are guys just sat at them texting or chatting! :laugh:
    I'm looking forward to the challenge and seeing how improvements in my physique which in turn will help my body confidence.
    OP, did you really look at the program before deciding to do it? Or just hear about it here?
    It is a very informative book but a complicated program. I made it through Stage 1 before switching programs

I have looked through a few of the other programs, like stronglifts, and asked for advice and discovered people's opinion - some on mfp - and just feel this program will suit me. If not, there is no real hardship and at least I tried and pushed myself and will feel more able to move on to trying another program if it is too complicated.
    i think there are quite a few people in the NROLFW group who have home gym set-ups so you might want to join that group to get ideas.

i think it's personally easier to do it in a gym because if you're doing the program as written and increasing your weights with every workout then you will be eating through weights.

Thanks - I've just joined the group. :smile:
    I do have access to a gym and they do have a large range of dumbbells, bars and plates. I just might try the first stage at home until I feel a little more confident with it all.
  • rosettafaery
    Options

Thanks! Sounds like great advice.
    As for my weight, I have reached my 'vanity' weight but am wanting to change my mindset and get a great body instead. When I started pilates and doing bodyweight exercises my weight went up, which concerned me at first, but I understand this will be from increased muscle. Bring it on! :happy:
  • rosettafaery
    Options
    It's not a complicated program at all, but I will admit, the actual workout sequencing seems confusing at first. I did the whole program and saw great strength improvement. I hadn't done much exercise in several years but enjoyed weight lifting when I was younger. There's a group here on MFP dedicated to this specific program. Join, ask questions, listen to the women there! They are brilliant and oh so willing to share their experiences.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I've spent a lot of this year putting fitness and exercise back into my life and feel I'm ready to (and want to) move on to NROL4W.
    I've joined the group so will no doubt be asking advice and getting involved soon!
    My advice...The book lays out the program...follow the program for best results.

My wife does New Rules and enjoys it. Stage I is a bit lame, but it's meant to be an introduction...it gets more intense as you advance and learn new lifts, etc. You may or may not need someone to show you some of the lifts...they're not really complicated but a lot of women complain that they are...really they just need someone to show them the movement or watch it a few times on YouTube or something to realize it's really all very easy and effective.

Thanks dude. :smile:
    I have the instructors on hand at the gym I go to so can ask them advice at anytime. Also, like you say, youtube will be my friend!
    I'll stick to the program as much as possible. I find I do work best when I'm given a set routine. It gives me structure and helps me to not mess around and just smash on through my workout.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am very excited for you, I only have one workout left in this program. Take measurement and progress pictures now, do not rely on the scale to see your results. Trust the program, as written, it really does work:)
  • rosettafaery
    Options
    I am very excited for you, I only have one workout left in this program. Take measurement and progress pictures now, do not rely on the scale to see your results. Trust the program, as written, it really does work:)

Thanks! :smile:
    How have you found the program? How has it changed your body and you?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight and I am now in maintenance. I have been using free weights all along, including full body exercises with weights that my trainer taught me several years ago, but I think I need to change things around. I've been reading up on the New Rules of Lifting for Women and think this sounds like it might be something I want to try. I just ordered the book and it's due to arrive sometime in the first two weeks of January.

My plain is to increase weight lifting sessions.

Can't wait to get the book, but will continue reading up on weight lifting for women.