when you can;t stomach the thought of food

Options
I lost my mother on 12-20-2013 i have ate 880 calories since than, I know I need to eat and I have 1 time a day, but the thought of eating a "whole" meal makes me sick to my stomach. I know I have to stay strong for my dad and son, but I dont want to eat.

Replies

• alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear your loss. As long as you eat as much as you can for now and as much as possible try to make it healthy foods. My prayers are with you and your family. Please stay strong.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your mom. I know it's hard to think about eating, but you'll need to take care of yourself and keep your strength up. Try to eat small meals more often throughout the day. Eat calorie dense items like nut butters, full fat yogurt, sweet potatoes, etc.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I know it may be really difficult but think of all the foods in the world and if there's even ONE thing that sounds somewhat ok, get it and eat it. Even if you only finish half.

You've gotta eat. I know you miss your mom but she would want you to be happy and healthy. It might not come easily but you will get there.

I know this pales in comparison to losing a parent, but I lost my home and 1/3 of my beloved hometown in a tornado in 2011 and for about 10 days all I could eat was a Kit Kat and a few cups of Earl Grey tea. Anything else sounded disgusting, and half the time I had diarrhea. But you have to have something inside your body to begin healing from whatever emotional trauma you have endured. Be strong!
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    took weeks to get my appetite back with my dads passing.....

id get thirsty though so i would drink like protein shakes or even just milk.....

sorry for your loss
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Don't think of eating a whole meal. Eat small healthy snacks as you can. Don't worry too much about it. When the the appetite comes back it will come back very strong. I have been there. None of us ate for a week, suddenly when it was all over, we were all STARVING and couldn't stop eating.

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
  • anewme1970
    anewme1970 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you Very much for all the kind words, and the encouragement
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I lost my mother on 12-20-2013 i have ate 880 calories since than, I know I need to eat and I have 1 time a day, but the thought of eating a "whole" meal makes me sick to my stomach. I know I have to stay strong for my dad and son, but I dont want to eat.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please do not worry about calories or logging them!! This is a time for grieving, surround yourself with people you love so you can support one another. I've had significant loses in my life.....eating is the last thing on your mind. However as the days go by, life begins to return to routine and your appetite will come back. Unless you've had a history of anorexia or eating disorders don't concern yourself about it right now. Prayers to you and your family:flowerforyou: