Why doesnt MFP track calories burned during strength??

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    strength training doesnt burn as many calories as you think they do. the majority of your calories were burned during the warm up, the row and the cool down.

from http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html
    People always ask about calorie burn during weight training and it’s harder to pin down values. It also depends staggeringly on the type of activities done (e.g. whole body vs. isolation exercises), rest intervals, rep ranges, etc. Clearly repetition clean and jerk will burn a lot more calories than barbell curls.

On average, studies have found a calorie burn of 7-9 cal/minute seems to be about right (again with huge variability) but that only holds for the actual work time and a lot of time in the weight room is usually spent resting. When we have tracked calorie burn for various types of weight training (ranging from Olympic lifting to isolation machine work) with tools such as the Bodybugg/GoWearFit or Polar heart rate monitors, a calorie burn of 300-400 cal/hour is about the average.

so let's see, a lift probably takes 10 seconds, so 6 reps a minute... yay 9 whole calories per set if you're doing 5-6 reps laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    You should not use a HRM for strength training...it will not be accurate.

i use an HRM during my strength training. just because it's not 100% accurate f the calorie doesn't mean that it doesn't have it's uses (ie tracking, you know...heart rate)
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

i use an HRM during my strength training. just because it's not 100% accurate f the calorie doesn't mean that it doesn't have it's uses (ie tracking, you know...heart rate)

It's way way way off, not just a little. But, yeah, if you're actually tracking heart rate, that's great. That's what it does. Calorie burn is crap though.

Most people think a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) is actually a CBM (Calorie Burn Monitor).

CBM's don't exist because it's impossible to do that. Lol. But, if you come across one, let me know. That would be amazing.

true.you have take those things with a grain of salt especially since so much can go wrong with the sensors. there are weird times when the HRM thinks my heart rate is like 205 and i'm barely breathing over rested state because i'm warming up on the bike. other times i'm sucking hair and it only registers at 135. both of those were because of weird positioning of the chest strap.

but yeah, i think 75% of the "i don;t know why i'm not losing weight" threads are because people are eating more than they think+not burning as much as they think and are eating those calories back
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's actually 0% accurate for calories with strength training. Heart rate has nothing to do with calorie burn during strength training, as strength training uses the anaerobic energy pathway, which is completely unrelated to the aerobic system.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

It's way way way off, not just a little. But, yeah, if you're actually tracking heart rate, that's great. That's what it does. Calorie burn is crap though.

Most people think a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) is actually a CBM (Calorie Burn Monitor).

CBM's don't exist because it's impossible to do that. Lol. But, if you come across one, let me know. That would be amazing.

Isn't that the doohickey where they put a tube in your mouth?

--
    I believe the heart rate bit is useful for resting between lifts.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I believe the heart rate bit is useful for resting between lifts.

A bit OT with regard to calorie burn, but the better Polars have a strength mode, where they use HR to tell you when you are recovered enough to attempt the next set.

Never personally used it, but would be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried this function. Did it chime with your normal guestimated rest periods, or was it more/less aggressive?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's actually 0% accurate for calories with strength training. Heart rate has nothing to do with calorie burn during strength training, as strength training uses the anaerobic energy pathway, which is completely unrelated to the aerobic system.
    Very true for strength training - for high tempo circuit training a HRM sort of works as an aid to guesswork. But any indirect correlation is more likely to come from any increase/decrease in volume of weight lifted and not from heartbeats counted.

Still impossible to verify any accuraccy but that's life.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In - for the first person to remind everyone that you can't track calorie burn for anaerobic activity with a heart rate monitor.

There - I said it.

Is that a problem?

While it may be said often, it is true. Many people don't understand this point at all, but it's very important to understand. You cannot use an HRM for lifting. They are not made for that type of up and down heart rate reading. They are made only for steady state heart beat reading. And, even then, who says they have any idea at all how many calories a person burns. Lol.

You read my post the wrong way around - we actually agree. You cannot use a HRM to estimate calorie burn for strength training; including lifting.

Sorry if my first post was misleading.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1 - There are too many variables with strength training for any data base to be remotely accurate in RE to calorie burn. There are some reasonably decent formulas out there, but even then...

2 - As has been noted, a HRM is useless for anaerobic activities like strength training...whatever number you get is going to be very inaccurate. Your calorie burn has nothing to do with your HR...your HR is just used in an algorithm that assumes a steady state aerobic activity as a reasonable measure of what % of VO2 max you are at. Anaerobic activity is a piss poor gauge of VO2 max

3 - Strength training is about developing strength, preserving lean mass, increasing bone density, etc...it is not about the calorie burn right now...it is a long term investment in your overall body composition and health and well being. Also, there is no data base, calculator, monitor, etc that can estimate the after-burn of strength training over the next 48 hours.

When I was doing MFP and eating back exercise calories, etc I usually just chalked it up to a couple hundred calories for a good 60 minute session.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you log your strength training as circuit training, you will over estimate your calorie burn. Circuit training burns more calories than strength training because of the cardio component.

If you want to burn calories do cardio, if you want to look good lift weights and forget the calories burned.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I think the TDEE method is superior. No screwing around with how many calories you burn, you just monitor your results via measurements weekly or monthly, and adjust TDEE until you have it nailed.

Word!

Makes life so much simpler.

(And makes questions like "how many calories does X burn?" obsolete)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My BodyMedia always gave me around 240 calories/hour (about 4 cals/minute) for weight lifting. I tend to do it circuit style. If I'm resting between squats, I'm doing pull-ups or something.If I look up calories burned for my weight/height, etc., the estimates give me about the same for moderate/vigorous effort. So the 300 seems about right to me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I think the TDEE method is superior. No screwing around with how many calories you burn, you just monitor your results via measurements weekly or monthly, and adjust TDEE until you have it nailed.

Word!

Makes life so much simpler.

(And makes questions like "how many calories does X burn?" obsolete)
    Truth. I love this site for the database, but their system really over complicates things, and generally confuses most people.
  • chatty826
    Options
    Add exercise - Cardiovascular - Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)

She doesn't believe the number.

I didnt say I dont believe the number. I said the 300 I had tracked (from my original post) was without strength training added. So 300 wasnt right for the calories that day 600 was.
  • chatty826
    Options
    Also I will add I know you don't lift weights to burn calories but I am doing Metcons with include cardio and lifting in the African heat. I am sweating my butt off during these. I just want to make sure I eat enough to fuel my body. I know how to loose weight my biggest concern is maintaining and building muscle mass.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

What does anyone else who lifts weights on a regular basis do? Right now I am concerned I am not getting nearly enough calories to maintain or build muscle mass if I look at MFPs info.

I log it under "strength training (weight lifting/training)" in the cardio database.

hth
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i don't know how many sets/reps it takes to find your one rep max

but i would expect doing one rep maxs to burn many calories