Low carb high fat/calories vegan foods?

Options
Ainar
Ainar Posts: 858 Member
I'm having a hard time to reach my calorie minimum now with this new low carb vegan diet. :/ What are some low/no carb foods what are high in good fat and/or calories? Apart from oils like olive oil and nuts? Healthy fat, not saturated fat please. And vegan. Any ideas?

I recently started a different type of eating and so far I'm pretty lost. Maybe you vegans/vegetarians who are at it for a while, or ppl who simply know some foods, can help me out. Please. Even pretty please. ^^

Replies

• ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    would like to hear from others too
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Avocado!

You can make an awesome fudge/pudding thing mixing avocado with cocoa powder, maybe a bit of honey/stevia/whatever sweetener you like.

Ooh and coconut too! You can get canned full fat coconut milk in the grocery store imported foods section. Not that expensive. Tastes great with butternut squash and curry spices in a soup.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Avocados?
    [Edit] I know you said besides oil, but maybe cooking stuff in coconut oil?
  • Cadaverous_Bones
    Options
    Avocados, coconut oil, you can cook in coconut oil, add it to coffee, all sorts of stuff.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I'm not really aware of low carb vegan diets. Surely that means only eating nuts, seeds, avacados, and olives? Why would you do that?
  • Ainar
    Options
    Avocados! That's something obvious that for some reason did not crossed my mind, thanks.

But Wiki says that 100g of coconut oil has 420% saturated fat, 86g. That is kinda a lot. I might as well be better off eating lard, it has only 40g of saturated fat on 100g. Trying to be healthy and stuff, I don't know about coconut milk... :/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Besides the aforementioned seed, avocadoes, olives and nuts, make some coconut based curries. Get a vegetarian indian cookbook and replace the ghee with vegetable oil.
  • Ainar
    Options
    I'm not really aware of low carb vegan diets. Surely that means only eating nuts, seeds, avacados, and olives? Why would you do that?
    Added olives to my list too! Seeds! I will look into it. Maybe you can suggest some particular seeds?
    Why would you do that?
    Cos I believe that eating too much carbs is not the most healthiest nutrition in a long run. Same goes for meat and I don't wanna ate it and dairy for my own moral/spiritual reasons. :)

But yes, there is no much to choose and it can get boring. That's why I'm asking for some help here on that, some ideas. :)
  • stt43
    Options
    Cos I believe that eating too much carbs is not the most healthiest nutrition in a long run. Same goes for meat and I don't wanna ate it and dairy for my own moral/spiritual reasons. :)

You don't have to eat 'too much' carbs, however many 'too much' would be. What isn't healthy for nutrition is limiting yourself. There is nothing wrong with carbs, they aren't bad for you, and give lots of positive benefits. If you want to be vegan then that's all good, but limiting yourself even further by lowering carbs is unnecessary and can't be healthy in the long run.
  • Paleocat2013
    Options
    Now you're talking Paleo primal foods. See Marksdailyapple and bulletproofexecutive.
    Find at your local health food store: GRASS FED freerange unsalted BUTTER.

My doctor has put me on 50% good fats. Daily: 1/2 avacado, raw cashews, almond butter, olive oil (NEVER heated/cooked), coconut oil, butter, wild salmon/tuna.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20477647,00.html

good luck!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If you're vegan and you're ruling out olive oil and nuts (I assume that includes whole olives, nut milks, nut oils, and nut butters), you've got a pretty limited choice for low-carb (so presumably nothing with lots of sugar), calorie-dense foods. In a previous post you objected to coconut oil, so I guess you don't want to drink coconut milk, either. In addition to avocados, which others have mentioned, consider adding in more whole-grain foods (so you get the fat from the germ), plain wheat germ and wheat germ oil, edamame (soybeans before they are dried), sesame seeds, sesame seed oil (toasted sesame seed oil is very tasty as a condiment, not for cooking in), tahini (ground sesame seeds), flax seed, flax seed oil, and I guess chia seeds, although I haven't traveled them myself yet (they swell up into sort of a gel when they're hydrated, so I don't know if it's a good idea to eat much of them dry and then add liquid in your stomach). If you eat winter squash, don't toss the seeds. Eat them. (You can roast and salt them for a crunchy treat, or just eat them raw).

You need fat, not just to reach your calorie goals. Your body uses it for carrying out important functions like absorbing certain vitamins.
  • sdefranc
    sdefranc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Healthy fat, not saturated fat please. And vegan. Any ideas?

I think the idea that saturated fats are not healthy is being seriously challenged these days. Humans were living and surviving in good health from eating saturated fats long before heart disease became a problem, and long before having "high cholesterol" was even considered a problem.

I urge you to look up a presentation on YouTube called "The Oiling of America" and it may just change your view on this.

All the best

Sam
  • Ainar
    Options

You don't have to eat 'too much' carbs, however many 'too much' would be. What isn't healthy for nutrition is limiting yourself. There is nothing wrong with carbs, they aren't bad for you, and give lots of positive benefits. If you want to be vegan then that's all good, but limiting yourself even further by lowering carbs is unnecessary and can't be healthy in the long run.
    I'm not limiting my nutrition, I'm limiting my macros, there is a difference. I'm still getting all the vitamins and minerals I need. And I'm not saying I don't ate carbs at all, I just wanna keep it very low.

Anyways, I could give you many arguments why low carbs are better for your health and I'm sure you could give me many why they are not and how high carb is better for a body. But we are not here to discuss my nutrition beliefs. Lets leave that off-topic discussion for another topic. :)
  • stt43
    Options

I'm not limiting my nutrition, I'm limiting my macros, there is a difference. I'm still getting all the vitamins and minerals I need. And I'm not saying I don't ate carbs at all, I just wanna keep it very low.

Anyways, I could give you many arguments why low carbs are better for your health and I'm sure you could give me many why they are not and how high carb is better for a body. But we are not here to discuss my nutrition beliefs. Lets leave that off-topic discussion for another topic. :)

'Macros' is short for 'macronutrients', so yes, you are limiting your nutrients. We are designed to have a varied diet so we don't limit a particular thing, or have too much of a particular thing. Plus, as you said in your original post, you aren't even able to hit minimum calories on with what you are eating
    Arguments as to why low carbs are better for your health aren't true unless you have some sort of medical condition that requires it. In nutritional science, something is either true or not, it doesn't come down to belief. I'm not saying you should do 'high carb', I'm just saying that living off pretty much purely fat sources isn't very wise, but it's your body.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You mention not eating meat, (which is kind of understandable) but why not dairy and eggs? You'd at least be able to have a greater range of protein sources. Not sure what your current protein sources are....

You sound like you are limiting yourself a lot for no reason - there is nothing wrong with carbs or saturated fat. Eating meat isn't unhealthy either! Not exactly sure what you will eat..
  • Ainar
    Options
    You mention not eating meat, (which is kind of understandable) but why not dairy and eggs? You'd at least be able to have a greater range of protein sources. Not sure what your current protein sources are....
    Same reasons why I don't ate meat I don't wanna ate dairy - health and spiritual. ^^

My current protein sources? I ate a lot of veggies, nuts, plants, some seeds and fruits. And all the "green" foods ya know - vegan foods. And protein just adds up. So as all teh carbs I ate, even if they're not much.
    I am currently not looking to get huge fast so 0.5g of protein per pound of my weight is enough to maintain muscle and gain strength so far. ^^
    If you're vegan and you're ruling out olive oil and nuts (I assume that includes whole olives, nut milks, nut oils, and nut butters), you've got a pretty limited choice for low-carb (so presumably nothing with lots of sugar), calorie-dense foods. In a previous post you objected to coconut oil, so I guess you don't want to drink coconut milk, either. In addition to avocados, which others have mentioned, consider adding in more whole-grain foods (so you get the fat from the germ), plain wheat germ and wheat germ oil, edamame (soybeans before they are dried), sesame seeds, sesame seed oil (toasted sesame seed oil is very tasty as a condiment, not for cooking in), tahini (ground sesame seeds), flax seed, flax seed oil, and I guess chia seeds, although I haven't traveled them myself yet (they swell up into sort of a gel when they're hydrated, so I don't know if it's a good idea to eat much of them dry and then add liquid in your stomach). If you eat winter squash, don't toss the seeds. Eat them. (You can roast and salt them for a crunchy treat, or just eat them raw).

You need fat, not just to reach your calorie goals. Your body uses it for carrying out important functions like absorbing certain vitamins.
    Can't ate wheat cos I can not ate gluten. :/ Some good foods there tho. I added them to list, thanks. ^^

By the way guys. If you maybe know some recipes as well please post. Foods themselves high in fat and low in carbs are good, but so as some mix of foods, if it's tasty and have little saturated fat.
    I have zero knowledge and imagination when it comes to recipes of food. All I know is to put it on heat and throw some random stuff together. I don't really wanna add boring oils to anything lol, gets boring. :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    veg/vegan diets tend to, by default, be higher carb unless you're just going to eat nuts, avocados, and drink oil.