A (Frustrating) Christmas Story of my own.

Options
Recently my dad said, "We don't have anyone in our family that can run long distances." I took that personally and tonight, in the dead of winter on Christmas Eve, went and attempted to run a half-marathon with zero prep because I was damn frustrated with that statement. I am a pretty athletic person now, but I NEVER really run more than a mile since I find long distance running to be a waste of time. But this was personal.

A half-marathon is 52.5 times around my local high school track. 10 laps in, I was feeling great. 20 laps in, I was feeling great. 30 laps in, I started laughing at random thoughts and started slowing down a little bit. 38 laps in, my shoes pretty much started falling apart. Mind you, I was doing this run with zero prep and normal sneakers. 40 laps in, I hit an absolute wall. I was 10 miles into the 13.1 mile run, and decided that I had to stop.

A 10 mile run in 20 degree weather at night. Not that bad, right? Well, I get home and I can't find a soul happy for me. My out of shape friends say, "Well, I learned that you can overdo things and I think you overdid it. You shouldn't be doing that." Whatever, I never do this kind of thing and I am being lectured by some out of shape people that I shouldn't do it as if I am some sort of addicted or abuser. My mom tells me to "watch out for wolves" which I admit is kind of a funny response and I enjoyed that. My dad seemed happy for me, but really was pushing me to be careful and not do that.

Now, I have to say, is 10 miles really that much? I just ate about half a pound of pasta and had a big protein shake. My legs feel about 80% and nothing really hurts. I was hoping that people would be happy for me changing my life from a 255 pound fat kid who struggled with 1 lap to a 193 pound man who can now run 40 laps non-stop. But it seems that people rather just make snide little comments and give me a little lecture even though none of them can even touch the level I am starting to reach.

What gives? Why can't people be happy for the success of others? I didn't shove it in anyone's face, I just wanted to be able to say that our family is capable of long distance running if we really wanted to...

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run a half mile w/ a gun to my head, much less 10. That's amazing!

"Watch out for wolves" is going to be my new farewell.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well. I am proud of you! 10 miles is quite the accomplishment & in 20 below even more so!

Sometimes ppl can't be happy for others. It's life. But you can find support here :D.

And most importantly you know you did awesome!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't expect so much backlash from people over a silly run. I really wasn't putting myself in any danger. I feel nearly 100% now an hour after it. I would never risk my long term goals if I knew it would be dangerous for me.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself and don't worry what others think. Some people will always be naysayers, but you are not one of them. You are a go-getter, so keep running, achieving, and dreaming big. Eventually others will see how fantastical you are!

"Refuse to lower your standards to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs." ~Mandy Hall
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how to say what I want to say without a whole lot of snark coming out.

Your dad made a comment about no one in your family being a long distance runner.

You took it personally and decided that you were going to show him (way to stick it to em, buddy!).

You attempted a half (on a track) without training/conditionaling (which is dangerous btw) in 20 degree weather, and made it to mile 10.

Congratulations.
    Do you feel better now?

*edit to remove some snark*
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options
    I'm not really sure how to say what I want to say without a whole lot of snark coming out.

Your dad made a comment about no one in your family being a long distance runner.

You took it personally and decided that you were going to show him (way to stick it to em, buddy!).

You attempted a half (on a track) without training/conditionaling (which is dangerous btw) in 20 degree weather, and made it to mile 10.

Congratulations.
    Do you feel better now?

/\dis doe
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Congratulations.
    Do you feel better now?

/\dis doe

I guess the point I am making (after some additional reflection) is that if you go out and complete feats and tasks simply for the recognition of others, or for other people's approval, you will always end up disappointed because you're setting expectations of how people will/should respond.

When you stop seeking validation from others to value your own worth or accomplishments, life gets a lot happier.

Enjoy your holidays.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Congratulations.
    Do you feel better now?

/\dis doe

I guess the point I am making (after some additional reflection) is that if you go out and complete feats and tasks simply for the recognition of others, or for other people's approval, you will always end up disappointed because you're setting expectations of how people will/should respond.

When you stop seeking validation from others to value
    your own worth or accomplishments, life gets a happier.

Enjoy your holidays.

This!!!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Running that much without any prep is pretty good. I have to agree with the others though. I think we all come to the realization that we have to motivate ourselves because the people around us are not going to support us for the most part.
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ohhh. im proud of you! Keep going ,make plans and train ! I cant even run 2 minutes without feeling I drop dead in a second..
    Please enjoy your moment!!! 10 miles is crazy! Alot ! Dont worry about anyone but yourself !
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

Congratulations.
    Do you feel better now?

/\dis doe

When you stop seeking validation from others to value your own worth or accomplishments, life gets a lot happier.

Enjoy your holidays.

I've already validated my greatness from within. I'm awesome. I did everything for myself from the beginning. It is nice to get some approval from others who have always seen me as a fat loser, though, but it doesn't always seem to come.

I love my dad and my mom. They are the 2 greatest people in the world. They support me 100% in everything I do. I think now they were just tired and are under a lot of stress from the holidays. Most of my frustration comes from my friends telling me not to push myself. It seems the support from them fades over time.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Jealousy, and embarrassment at their own inadequacies. I'd love to be able to run 10 laps, let alone 40. That's pretty awesome to me.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered why people feel the need to be so *****y and belittle the success of others. It might possibly have something to do with you showing them their own weaknesses. You have achieved what they haven't, and that makes them feel both envious and a failure, in a way. This wasn't your intention but it's what it all boils down to, I think.

Be proud of what you've achieved. Is there a way you can avoid the negative types? If not, force yourself not to listen to them. Just say "yes" or "no" but don't get into an argument. It's not worth it.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Uuuh - those asterisks were automatically inserted by MFP. The word I had used was b-1-t.c,h-y. Hope this will work. *rolls eyes*