Sudden Unexpected Drop in Weight?

Options
Hello everyone~

Does anyone know what might cause a sudden drop in weight?

Here's the situation: I have been dieting, eating around 1300-1500 calories per day and exercising 3-4 times per week. I have been experiencing steady weight loss of around 1-2 lbs per week. Last Saturday, I weighed in at 176 on my regular digital scale. Then I went on vacation with my family for 5 days. During that time, I kept my calories around 1500-1700, but more of them were from wine than usual (about double my normal consumption), and I did not go to the gym at all. I have a travel scale that weighed me at 174 yesterday morning, but since those can be unreliable on different surfaces, I didn't record that weight, expecting it to jump back up when I got home. This morning, my usual scale weighed me at 172.

Anybody have any idea what's going on? Could I really lost 4 pounds in 5 days? Eating more than usual? Is that even healthy?

I couldn't believe it, so I took the batteries out of the scale and tried again... Same result. Any ideas?

Thanks!

(P.S. Not my TOM, and no unusual activity in the bathroom.)

Replies

• U may have lost a little bit of muscle wld be my best guess. U may gain a lb when u get back to ure routine but it'll come off quickly.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates from day to day (and during the day). Water, glycogen stores, stool, pixie dust... Don't panic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You stopped exercising and therefore you are probably holding less water weight. You may also be holding less water weight if you ate more and perversely, less if you have eaten less and/or are less hydrated. Also, less food weight.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates from day to day (and during the day). Water, glycogen stores, stool, pixie dust... Don't panic.

^^^This! It is always good to have pixie dust on your side....or unicorns.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    U may have lost a little bit of muscle wld be my best guess. U may gain a lb when u get back to ure routine but it'll come off quickly.

No appreciable muscle loss would have happened in 5 days.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues. You threw you metabolism for a loop and your body got confused but you'll get back on track. Smile and just enjoy the loss for now but don't be disappointed if some returns.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    U may have lost a little bit of muscle wld be my best guess. U may gain a lb when u get back to ure routine but it'll come off quickly.
    lose muscle mass on a five day vacation..??? Ummmm no…that is not what is going on ...
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone~

Does anyone know what might cause a sudden drop in weight?

Here's the situation: I have been dieting, eating around 1300-1500 calories per day and exercising 3-4 times per week. I have been experiencing steady weight loss of around 1-2 lbs per week. Last Saturday, I weighed in at 176 on my regular digital scale. Then I went on vacation with my family for 5 days. During that time, I kept my calories around 1500-1700, but more of them were from wine than usual (about double my normal consumption), and I did not go to the gym at all. I have a travel scale that weighed me at 174 yesterday morning, but since those can be unreliable on different surfaces, I didn't record that weight, expecting it to jump back up when I got home. This morning, my usual scale weighed me at 172.

Anybody have any idea what's going on? Could I really lost 4 pounds in 5 days? Eating more than usual? Is that even healthy?

I couldn't believe it, so I took the batteries out of the scale and tried again... Same result. Any ideas?

Thanks!

(P.S. Not my TOM, and no unusual activity in the bathroom.)

A 4 lb loss is unremarkable. Some weight will likely return when you resume exercising.