Yakking it up with yor personal trainer

Options
I don't see personal trainers doing half the training in 45 minutes that a client could do alone. I think clients, by and large, like to talk and talk and talk with their trainers, even during exercise sets. I don't get it.

I imagine they go home and say they had a great workout.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think some people just have money to burn. but honestly i don think everyone goes to a trainer to get a good workout.

i belong to a pretty expensive gym for the area so the majority of people are well-to-do and elderly. add to that paying for the training session. i think a lot of them just want someone to talk to for an hour a day 3 days a week. once i saw there was some woman who spent my entire strong lifts routine on the lat pulldown machine talking politics with the trainer. she wasnt even using the machine, just sitting on it :laugh:

whatevs, it's her moneyand it's not like she my mom or aunty and she's wasting my future inheritance
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a PT and we don't chit chat... I am too busy trying to breathe and lift and breathe! But I do see some that talk alot...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So what, it's their money.

For my moneys I got a trainer who TRAINED my *kitten*. he got me over lots of fears I had starting out and I interviewed like 3 of them. You get what you ask for and so those ppl might like chit chat and be the kind to talk the hairdressers ear off.

I'm not. I train with my trainer if I"m paying for that. With the hairdresser I get all her pro tips and advices. etc. and so on. I prefer to treat professionals like professionals and get the expertise they are in the know of but if someone else just needs a friend, it's not my place to say anything or even care.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of paying so much attention what others are doing, you could focus on your own workouts and business? Just a thought.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I used to work as a trainer. I had clients who wanted to work the entire session, and I had clients who wanted to spend part of the session working and part discussing their fitness plan. I had clients who were struggling with weight loss and really needed an ally who they could talk to who wouldn't judge them. Everyone is different and no two clients have the same goals or want to get the same things out of a session. If it's not your money and your session, and the trainer is not having the client doing something dangerous, why worry about it?
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of paying so much attention what others are doing, you could focus on your own workouts and business? Just a thought.

I do that . . . January through December The problem is in January the gym will fill up with New Year's resolutions, clogging equipment and creating wait times. Higher density is compounded by the above.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I do that . . . January through December The problem is in January the gym will fill up with New Year's resolutions, clogging equipment and creating wait times. Higher density is compounded by the above.

That has nothing to do with people talking to their trainers. You have no clue what is going on. If it is such a problem, invest in a home gym or spend the next couple months running outside or doing body weight exercises.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

These people who "clog equipment and create wait times" also produce profits for the gym which can help keep gym fees lower.

I agree. MYOB.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't see personal trainers doing half the training in 45 minutes that a client could do alone. I think clients, by and large, like to talk and talk and talk with their trainers, even during exercise sets. I don't get it.

snow-white-haters-gonna-hate.gif
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I chit chat with my trainer all the time. Frequently it consists of me telling her how evil she is. It's generally done in between sets or while we are setting up equipment. I get a great workout and work HARD. I can still be social. MYOB and if you hate people so much get a home gym
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I have been working with a PT for almost 6months and it was the best investment I ever made.

Having said that I worked with a PT I did work with a coach...me and my PT were not besties or friends...we did not chat about movies or weekend parties...we might have exchanged a few words between the various exercises (checking that weights are fine etc) and may be chatted for a few minutes once we finished but we were both in agreement that a PT session is a workout. My sporty background meant that I am usually very focused during my workouts as I had been coached "no talking during exercising - if you can talk you are not working hard enough" so I am not "social" at the gym anyway :)
    However, I did see and still see some PTs who are very casual..some chat a lot with their clients...some even sing along to the background music (which is a big no no in my eyes) but I guess it is all part of the fact that a client-PT service is tailored. There are clients who like interaction, who need their PT to talk to them to motivate them to say if they have done something right (whilst that was driving me nuts)..and I have seen some walking away from their clients for a minute to say hi to a mate...big big mistakes..a good PT never leaves their client alone during a session and ALWAYS watches them (which can be intimidating at first but a good PT knows how to watch in a non intrusive way)
    I think saying that having a PT is a show off is a very negative attitude. I needed my PT to help me overcome a series of issues I had with my exercise routine due to several health issues, without his expertise, patience (I was not what you call an easy-client even thought I was the one never to say that I will not do an exercise) I wouldnt have made it to my goal: which was to be able to run 2kms on the treadmill and guess what I can run 3.5KM now!
    A good PT is an excellent investment but it only works if you the client also put the hard work in - just putting the money in will get you not much..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You should probably mind your own business. IMO.
    They might be talking with them to learn proper technique so they don't have to spend money on a PT for the rest of their life.

eh IDK ..I have overheard some covos at my gym between trainer and trainee and they are NOT talking about form..most of it is weekend plans, relationship crap, and a whole host of things that have nothing to do with fitness….but that is just the small sample I overhear...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Funny, I don't see what other people are doing with their trainers, I'm too busy focusing on my workout. I guess all those people who spend all their time watching everyone else at the gym instead of working must go home and say they had a great workout.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I did two sessions with a personal trainer, and I probably wont ever try it again without doing more research. The gym set me up with her because she had training in sports injury (I have a bad knee). Unfortunately, she spent half the time I was doing my sets looking at her cell phone and texting, then had to think about the next exercise. I watched her, and others at my gym while I was using the machines and most of them were the same way. There were only a few who were actually invested in their clients health and fitness. I want to try lifting at some point in the future but I will be very picky in chosing a trainer who is solely focused on helping me reach my goals. Chit chat before and after is ok, but all business during the session.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Funny, I don't see what other people are doing with their trainers, I'm too busy focusing on my workout. I guess all those people who spend all their time watching everyone else at the gym instead of working must go home and say they had a great workout.

Touche'
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Okay, Grumpy! Guilty! But my muscles are pretty sore, so I must have had a good workout.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I did two sessions with a personal trainer, and I probably wont ever try it again without doing more research. The gym set me up with her because she had training in sports injury (I have a bad knee). Unfortunately, she spent half the time I was doing my sets looking at her cell phone and texting, then had to think about the next exercise. I watched her, and others at my gym while I was using the machines and most of them were the same way. There were only a few who were actually invested in their clients health and fitness. I want to try lifting at some point in the future but I will be very picky in chosing a trainer who is solely focused on helping me reach my goals. Chit chat before and after is ok, but all business during the session.

completely unprofessional I hope you spoke with the manager...speaking of that I need to let my doctor know his receptionist is a b-tch
  • keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a 25 minute personal training session 3 x week. The only time we chat is the one minute he gives me between sets. At the end of 25 minutes I know have had a good workout because I am exhausted and weak. An hour of rest then I"m full of energy. He pushes me far beyond what I would on my own and reminds me of the progress I've made. Motivation and encouragement coupled with expertise on how to best burn fat and gain muscle is money well spent.