Yakking it up with yor personal trainer

Options
2»

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    My trainer and I have stuff in common, so naturally we're going to talk about that stuff. We both like to eat and deadlift. So we talk a lot about food and lifting weights. Sometimes we talk about pets or movies too while I'm resting. I lift heavy, so the rests are also part of my training (just like eating and sleeping are too). I have a tendency to want to go, go, go, so talking to me for a little while makes sure I get my rest in.

I worked with another trainer before I started working with my current one, and she and I chit-chatted a lot too. She would draw me out with questions-- with a purpose. She was checking my breathing to make sure I was working at an appropriate intensity.

If either of those reasons bother you, that's your problem, not mine.

Eyes on your own workout.
  • keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very well said. Without a PT, I would not be making the progress that keeps me going. Couple with a Registered Dietician and a very supportive MD, I believe that I will stay on track and reach my goal of 20% body fat. Who knows, maybe I'll push beyond 20% once I get there. How much I weigh is not nearly as important to me as reducing my body fat % to a healthy one.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't see personal trainers doing half the training in 45 minutes that a client could do alone. I think clients, by and large, like to talk and talk and talk with their trainers, even during exercise sets. I don't get it.

I imagine they go home and say they had a great workout.
    Funny, I don't see what other people are doing with their trainers, I'm too busy focusing on my workout. I guess all those people who spend all their time watching everyone else at the gym instead of working must go home and say they had a great workout.

You. I like you.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, a good personal trainer will take the time to educate their clients, which includes explaining why an exercise is beneficial, the muscles involved, and how to maintain proper form. Idle chit-chat makes the client feel more at ease and have a sense of community within the gym.

So perhaps you should stay focused on your own workout.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I chit chat with my trainer all the time. Frequently it consists of me telling her how evil she is. It's generally done in between sets or while we are setting up equipment. I get a great workout and work HARD. I can still be social. MYOB and if you hate people so much get a home gym

Pretty much this!! With my first trainer, I worked HARD, but he and I would chat between sets, etc. I used to call him slavedriver, evil, sadistic, etc. To this day, even though he is no longer my trainer, he is my biggest cheerleader.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Some people don't want to work out- they want to come in and have a therapist in a trainers shirt.

what's it to you?

It's their money- I had sessions where I tried to have them work- and they just stopped mid way through and got distracted talking. There is only so much prodding you can do- if they want to talk- and not work- that's on them.

And it's certainly NONE of your business. Do your own work out. And stop fussing about other people.

You spend 3-4 hrs a week with someone- you are bound to talk about stuff- it's just reality.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Long as it doesn't affect me directly getting my workout done then who cares tbh.

Some people like to talk to a trainer while working out. Whatever works for them then go for it. Atleast the person is trying. I see people all the time saying oh that person should do this or that instead of being overweight. Then they do something and they find something new to complain about.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I can't be aggravated unless I know what they were talking about. If it was Duck Dynasty, tell them I hate them.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    All snark aside, I train hard on my own at the gym because I can't afford a trainer. I see LOTS of chatting going down. BS chit chat. And honestly, PTs checking their phones, texting, etc.

Also, I truly feel sometimes personal trainers are paid to count.

I have high standards regarding who I give my money to. Doesn't bother me what other people are doing, but it makes me realize I'm happy doing my workouts without paying for someone else to tell me how many more reps are left.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I honestly cannot get my head around why people who dont work and might not have ever worked with a GOOD PT say that having a PT is waste of money...

we are all different...everyone has its own thing that works for them...

some people achieve great resultst with a gastric band - some people would go nowhere near that procedure
    some people can train for a marathon on their own - some would rather train in team or with a coach
    some people like the extra support (technical, motivational etc) of a PT - some dont

There is no right or wrong is there?
    I invested in a good PT (the head trainer of the gym I am member of) and it was my best investment ever. would i have paid a money to a PT who is a young kid texting and chatting during my workout time - hell no! I did my research, paid the money and had an amazing PT experience..

I dont think there is anything wrong with asking for the extra amount of help, and paying for it...I remember my days when I was getting ready to sit my uni admission exams - guess what I hired a tutor.. ..it is the same thing just for fitness :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You should probably mind your own business. IMO.
    They might be talking with them to learn proper technique so they don't have to spend money on a PT for the rest of their life.

This!
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I do that . . . January through December The problem is in January the gym will fill up with New Year's resolutions, clogging equipment and creating wait times. Higher density is compounded by the above.

I have a trainer. And we talk. A LOT. I have serious injuries that I'm still recovering from seven years after my accident. I spent a ton of time in pt. I tried doing exercises on my own. I had set backs. I went back to pt at good times and sometimes ended up back in a wheelchair. Rip on newbies if you must, but everyone starts somewhere. I talk with my trainer so neither of us push me too far and so I understand capabilities and range of motion with my current body- the one that is able to walk again, the one that is oh so slowly getting stronger, the one that can no longer do what it could when it was pre-injury, active duty military; the body still attached to the mind that doesn't know how to quit or how to accept "the damage is permanent". Will I be taking up space in the gym in January? You bet your @ss, I will. Why? Because I spend the other months in school retraining to be self-sufficient as I can no longer do my old job. Will I wonder if people like you will pass judgement? Maybe a little. Will it stop me? No! Again,no. Thank you for adding fuel to my determination.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I do that . . . January through December The problem is in January the gym will fill up with New Year's resolutions, clogging equipment and creating wait times. Higher density is compounded by the above.

I have a trainer. And we talk. A LOT. I have serious injuries that I'm still recovering from seven years after my accident. I spent a ton of time in pt. I tried doing exercises on my own. I had set backs. I went back to pt at good times and sometimes ended up back in a wheelchair. Rip on newbies if you must, but everyone starts somewhere. I talk with my trainer so neither of us push me too far and so I understand capabilities and range of motion with my current body- the one that is able to walk again, the one that is oh so slowly getting stronger, the one that can no longer do what it could when it was pre-injury, active duty military; the body still attached to the mind that doesn't know how to quit or how to accept "the damage is permanent". Will I be taking up space in the gym in January? You bet your @ss, I will. Why? Because I spend the other months in school retraining to be self-sufficient as I can no longer do my old job. Will I wonder if people like you will pass judgement? Maybe a little. Will it stop me? No! Again,no. Thank you for adding fuel to my determination.

I admire you!
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My husband and I always go together when we train, and yes we both talk a good bit with our trainer, but we don't just stand there and do nothing while we talk we're either in the process of working out or we're walking to some other part of the gym but we get in absolutely awesome workouts, the kind where you feel like you're about to die and can't do anymore so I would say we absolutely get our money's worth out of each and every workout we have but I would hate it if we couldn't just talk with our trainer, it would seem very awkward to me.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have worked with my trainer for almost 3 years. We hardly ever talk, outside of what is necessary to correct form, educate, etc. So time I have questions on my cardio, or other things I am doing. I don't want a cheerleader, I want someone who makes sure I am progressing. Which I am. We have a deal...I pay him, he trains me. It works out well. I know, if I get a "good job" it really was well done. I don't get it often, but it means something when I do.

I have had trainers in the past who wanted to be a cheerleader, or chat. I am not interested, and they never lasted long with me. Others are looking for something different. If you can afford it, get what you want. Why judge?