Meal planning app?

Options
How do you guys do your meal plans? Paper? An app? I know I won't succeed if I don't plan, but planning gives me such a headache and causes me a lot of stress. How do you guys do it? Any suggestions to keep it simple and organized and functional? Thanks

Replies

• Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Options
    I usually pre-plan my day by entering my food in mfp, leaving a little room for changes that might occur. That way if I stick to it, I know I have my planned calories.

I try to plan my meal for next day after dinner then pack my snacks and lunch.

Just an idea.

If I come across a good meal planning app, I will let you know.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I enter my food into MFP. You can also copy and paste meals which can make life easier if you repeat often.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do plan out meals for an entire week every weekend, usually on paper, make my shopping list from the menu and then invest a few hours cooking up the foods for the week. I am still building a library of recipes and rotate those at meal planning times.

It's a lot of work at first but as you build your list of recipes and foods that suit whatever way of eating you're on, it gets easier. And I fill out each day's log in advance, so I know what to pack for lunch and/or leave out to thaw for dinner.

I almost never eat out anymore, but then again, I am trying to control a disease with diet and exercise not just lose weight. For weight loss, you've got more wiggle room in both your planning process and your meals.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    MFP...
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    bump.

Would love an app that I could put in what I have to work with (example. chicken, carrots) and have it give me some meal options.

Wonder if that exists?.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    bump.

Would love an app that I could put in what I have to work with (example. chicken, carrots) and have it give me some meal options.

Wonder if that exists?.

Yes, it does. Google keywords and a whole host of things come up.

Also, there is an app for that! :) It's called Allthecooks Recipes... i just found it though (Android market) and haven't downloaded it but it looks like it might be what you're looking for.

(Edited the app name)
  • Mirelle82
    Options
    I too try to plan my meals at the weekend what I am having for the week, go food shopping and cook.:happy:
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually do my grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday. I plan for my meat consumption for the next week and will either cook a roast or 2-3 Lbs of burgers or 2-3 Lbs of chicken breast. That's about all I plan for though. I keep salad on hand and cut and dice all my salad goodies on the weekend too for the week. I buy the fresh, frozen, and canned veggies. Breakfast is always bacon & eggs; not much variation there, but I don't get tired of bacon and eggs. :bigsmile: Now I have ready to eat or pack protein and cooking a veggie to eat or go is a snap.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use an iOS app called Meal Schedule by Radical Barrel. It's pretty simple, and one you've gotten a decent recipe/meal base in, it makes planning easy enough (still a chore, but a smaller one!). I plan dinners for the month, then get all the items needed with the exception of fruit and vegetables, which I get each week at the local market. We eat pretty well the same things for breakfast, and I keep tuna, peanut butter etc. around in bulk for lunches. We eat pretty simply as well, so I don't need to buy much for the month, mostly things we've used up during the previous month.
  • dgm82
    dgm82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MFP...

This. I use the food diary on here. It's absolutely wonderful.
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use PepperPlate and Paprika - I like different things about each of them and wish I could combine them together into one app, but they are both pretty good.