How accurate is the calorie counter

I've been on sites where the calorie counter for calories burned durring exercises are off. EXTREMELY off. I'm new to this site and while I understand that it's only a rough estimate and the amount of calories I burn doing an exercise depends on a lot of different things I'd like to at least know that it's somewhat close.

I don't have special bands or anything to read my calories burned so I was wondering how accurate has it been for YOU?

Replies

• Take it as an estimate, and don't get over confident when it's off.Most likely it will be close to the real thing.Good luck.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    A lot of people only eat back half of the exercise calories to be safe
    . It's not going to have the same inaccuracies for everyone.
  • I have found that the cycling, walking, elliptical, and circuit training calculations are pretty accurate with what my HRM calculates within 20% either way. I find though that the harder I work out, especially when lifting weights or the elliptical I actually burn much more than the calculator says.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I have found that the cycling, walking, elliptical, and circuit training calculations are pretty accurate with what my HRM calculates within 20% either way. I find though that the harder I work out, especially when lifting weights or the elliptical I actually burn much more than the calculator says.

I don't think HRM are accurate for lifting.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I have found that the cycling, walking, elliptical, and circuit training calculations are pretty accurate with what my HRM calculates within 20% either way. I find though that the harder I work out, especially when lifting weights or the elliptical I actually burn much more than the calculator says.
    Hr monitors are not designed to count calories for lifting. The algorithms are set for steady state cardio