Snowy Weather Jog Question

Options
00NL
00NL Posts: 171 Member
i will be coming to London ( bishop hatfield)

i have no idea of the weather there besides that it is extremely cold

i am not a treadmill person and jog outside

So is there snow there. then how do you guys jog outside ?? where do you jog.

i am from a hot country so have never faced these issues therefore no idea what i am talking about.

just one thing in my mind how can a person jog on the road or ground that has snow on it

please guide me

my issue is i have to come to this place and i want to continue to jog outisde happy

Replies

• 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    BUMP-- uk people help me
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In colder climates, they usually work to treat the roads and sidewalks (with salt). That said, running in cold weather poses a lot of challenges.

Wear thin wicking layers, don't stay out in the cold when you're wet, and protect your hands, feet and head. You'll also probably have to slow your pace slightly.

http://runneracademy.com/cold-weather-impact-on-running/
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No idea about the weather where you are going but I went for a run in the snow yesterday. I wore my trail running shoes with aggressive tread, running tights, fleece top, running jacket and gloves. I ended up tying jacket around my waist and took off gloves about 2 km in. Shoes got soaked but I was thankful for warm wool socks I was wearing and they kept my feet warm. If a section looks slippery or icy, walk, don't attempt to run it. It was actually quite fun, and more challenging.
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    London you say?

Well its pretty cold and miserable if you're coming from a hot country

BUT there's not usually much snow in winter. Maybe a small sprinkling that immediately grinds the country to a halt once a year. There will be frost and ice slightly more frequently, but all major pavements and park paths should be in a reasonable condition and gritted as appropriate. Good news for running. Just make sure you layer up and just go for it.

(the layers are a personal thing, my bf frequently goes running in Glasgow (400miles further north) in shorts and a t shirt at the moment whereas I'm wearing long sleeves and gloves!)
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Believe me snow will not be a problem in London, if the ground has enough snow on it to stop anyone running, for more than a couple of days a year I would be amazed. As a previous poster says it will be comparatively cold so layer up and run. Good luck with your time in London and enjoy your running.
  • annalicous
    annalicous Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to London Town. It's not snowing at the moment. It's just a lil cold and windy. However if it does snow I do not recommend that you go for a jog as it might be quite dangerous. Have a good time in London
  • annalicous
    annalicous Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Although you cannot jog on the road. You can jog on the pavement or find a local park. Depending on the area that you are going to be staying in. There are also some gyms that to free access for a day, it's worth checking it out on the internet.
  • shafstar
    Options
    Hi,

.... as above I'm a Londoner too and we're used to running in the cold. I enjoy it as it cools me down.... you however may have to recondition to the climate

Currently there's no ice on the concrete paths but I've got the feeling that will change in January so it would be an idea to run in parks that have natural paths with wood chips
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not much snow in the UK in any case, and if you are in central London you will barely see any as it clears very quickly. I live outside London, a bit more rural. I run in the snow, just wear trail shoes for grip. I'd just layer up, wear a hat and gloves and you will be fine. The parks are fab for jogging in London.