Question about net calories

Options
Hi, ,happy holidays to everyone first..!!. Im new to fitness pal and i have this question. My net calories are 2200, i workout 5 times a week ,very intense, so my question is ,if everytime i do a workout i have to put it on the exercise chart so i can have more calories or 2200 are my total calories of the day ,regardless if i workout or not. because,when i set up my goals i already put that i will workout 5 times a week,so maybe is set up (the calories) with the amount of activity i'll do. thanks in advance.

Replies

• Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Your exercise goal is separate from your calorie goal on MFP. The question is what you put as your activity level. If you based that (active or very active) on your workouts, then that calorie burn is already factored in. But that's not how you're supposed to do it. Set you activity based on your life outside of separate exercise. Then log your exercise and eat at least some of those calories to fuel the extra work your body is doing. HTH!

You might prefer the TDEE method - a search will give you lots of good information.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Some people advocate for simply ignoring the net calories shown and only looking at the calories you should be eating. So if MFP sets your calorie goal each day to 1500, you might just look at that, eat that amount, and anything you burn through exercise is just gravy. Others advise to eat back half of your exercise calories. Because most of us overestimate our calories burned through exercise (and most websites/gym machines do as well), it's easy to be eating back phantom calories that you didn't actually burn.

Everyone kind of approaches it differently from what I gather from reading these boards. I guess it depends on what works for you!