Vegan/Allergen-friendly Chocolate Cake (by request)

Options
Hi there,

I've had a few request for my grandmother's WWII-era chocolate cake, which uses pantry items w no fresh milk, butter or eggs. Not a 'diet food' per se, but can be made into cupcakes and stashed in the freezer to be pulled out one at a time or perhaps for a cake treat that doesnt even need the frosting! Yum.

Grandma's WWII Era "Wonder Cake"
(aka vegan and allergy-friendly chocolate cake)

Ingredients:
1.5 c flour
1 c sugar
3 Tbsp baking cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar
6 Tbsp veg. oil (can partially substitute unsweetened applesauce)
1 c water

Directions:
sift the dry ingredients into a 9x9" square pan (ungreased).
make 1 large and 2 smaller indentations in the dry ingredients with the back of a spoon. Add the wet ingredients (1 per indentation) and then pour the cup of water over the whole thing. Mix with a fork until all lumps are dissolved (being sure to get into the corners where the dry mix loves to hide!)
Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes -- until a piece of dry spaghetti inserted in center of cake comes out clean)
Cool (in pan) on baking rack.
Lightly dust with confectioners sugar immediately before serving (*optional*)

Alternate method: mix in bowl and make 12 cupcakes from the batter. Bake as above, but a bit less time. Can be stored in zipper bags in the freezer for up to 2 months.

YEILD 12 servings

176 calories per serving (using 6 Tbsp oil, no applesauce) ---- 28 carbs, 7 fat, 2 protein, 240 sodium.

WonderCakeNutritionBreakdown.jpg

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    That looks spectacular!!!
    Thank you for posting :0)
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    It's great to see vegan recipes,thanks!I just made vegan granola bars mmm...anyone want the recipe can email me.
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    thank you for the post. :smile:
  • Alleghany
    Options
    YUMMMM!!! Thx!! :flowerforyou:
  • ATJune
    ATJune Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!!:)thanks
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Looks like I have everything I need to make up a recipe, just what I need, ANOTHER way to eat chocolate, but at least it is pretty reasonable in calories.

Thanks for posting.
  • shintowa
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • coastgirl75
    coastgirl75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I recently decided to try a vegan diet as I think I might have some food sensitivities. I might try to substitute stevia for the sugar. Just thinking of another way to reduce the calories. Sounds yummy! Looking forward to trying it. :)