fitbit flex

Options
Does anyone have a fitbit flex? If so, does it tell you calorie burn for exercise or does it just tell you steps walked? Do you like it??
Think I want Santa to bring me one ;)

Replies

• rondabug
    Options
    I have a flex and...I have mixed feelings. when i first got it, I absolutely loved it! It synchs with myfitnesspal and will calculate how many calories you've burned (on myfitnesspal-not on the fitbit website. Fitbit will tell you how many calories you've burned from activity per week if you upgrade to premium.

The reason for my mixed feelings? I've started to use the "map my walk" app in tandem with fitbit. This morning, map my walk (GPS based) logged me at 3.89 miles. Fitbit? 2.5 miles! That's a significant difference not only in steps, but also in the calculation of calories burned! Maybe the problem is that I have not measured my stride as fitbit advises users to do-and I have a long stride. Nonetheless, Over a mile difference seems pretty excessive!

It is STILL a great tool to motivate. When I set a goal for myself, it helps me get up and get moving if i haven't reached it. Even more, seeing how your friends are doing can also be added incentive to get up and get moving. There's something about others seeing my progress (or lack thereof) that really helps me stick with it!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, thanks for the input!!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with a Fitbit, and I have a Bodymedia. We both like what we have. I think the Bodymedia is more accurate as it can tell the difference between me walking and me walking carrying a 35lb backpack.
    I like that I can quickly and easily see where I am at in my day via my phone, and it has nice easy to understand charts. You asked about steps: It shows me how many in in the day, in each hour (Taller the column = more steps in that hr, click on it for a number), plus I can pull up charts showing me averages over any 7-14-21-28 day period, and export the data to a spreadsheet.

Here was me summing up what it got out of my first 28 days: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Morgaath/view/first-28-full-days-with-bodymedia-589661

As a comparison over the last 28 days:
    Calories burned --- Target:2750 --- Average: 2852
    Calories consumed --- Target 2000 --- Average 1994
    Calorie deficit --- Target 750 --- Average 858
    Activity Moderate --- Target 1:30 --- Average 1:56
    Activity Vigerous --- Target 0:10 --- Average 0:06
    Steps taken --- Target 10,000 --- Average 10,544
    Sleep --- Target 8:00 --- Average 6:12 sleeping, out of 7:28 laying down

About the only complaint I have is that it is not waterproof, so I can't take it swimming or kayaking.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have one... it estimates calories based on movement, so depending on the exercise and the person doing said exercise, the estimate may be fairly accurate or it could be way off.
  • charelg
    Options
    Oh thanks! I think I want one for Christmas, but the main thing I want it for is calories burned.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks! I think I want one for Christmas, but the main thing I want it for is calories burned.

Calories burned doing what? Fitbits and similar activity monitors are better suited for general lifestyle stuff - cooking dinner, running errands, cleaning house, etc etc. HRMs are generally better for steady state cardio exercise.

Ultimately both are estimates though.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I think you'd be more happy with a Polar FT4 or something of that nature. I've read up a lot about fitbit because I'm also getting one of those for Christmas. People tend to say it isn't good at measuring cardio, which I do a lot of. So I'll continue to use my Polar FT4 which has a heart rate monitor. Amazon has the Polar FT4 for about $55
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I think for many of us our calories burned varies a lot due to those things you wouldn't be wearing a HRM for-- chasing the kids around, working extra hours on your feet, shopping for hours, walking the dog, housework, yard work, dancing on a night out, etc. The Fitbit is great for estimating the calories you burn and letting you know when maybe it IS time to go to the gym or add an after dinner walk, or else skip dessert.
  • charelg
    Options
    Thanks girl! I may just have to get another. I do training programs like p90x and Nike.

I think you'd be more happy with a Polar FT4 or something of that nature. I've read up a lot about fitbit because I'm also getting one of those for Christmas. People tend to say it isn't good at measuring cardio, which I do a lot of. So I'll continue to use my Polar FT4 which has a heart rate monitor. Amazon has the Polar FT4 for about $55
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex, and I find it to be the best decision I ever made. As I see it, if you set it up right. Took the time to measure your stride, and so on, it is very accurate on distance. I love the dashboard and find it very easy to use with mfp. Remember, all monitors are just estimating. This one is good enough for me, and above all, is helping me lose fat.
  • leslie_shoemaker
    leslie_shoemaker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    how do you measure your stride with the fitbit flex?