Replies

• Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    sometimes there's poetry written right on the bathroom wall.
    -ani difranco
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest lessons in life is letting go. Whether it's hurt, anger, love, loss, etc. Change is never easy; we fight to hold on, we fight to let go.

:heart:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

:
    :
    :

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

probably the best pair of opening and closing lines of any novel ever... certainly the most quoted.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    this closing paragraph has always stuck with me ever since reading this book as a high school sophomore.

"Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east..."

+1 to anyone who knows the book and author without googling it. :wink:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    "Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do"
    -a fortune cookie I got
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth are remove all doubt."

- author unknown (for exact phrasing)

Oh this is one of my favorite quotes! I thought it was Mark Twain, and I've seen a few variations to it. However, I love this one great reminder for me.

It's been attributed to him, and also Abe Lincoln. It is a variation on Proverbs 17:28.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/17/remain-silent/
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    this closing paragraph has always stuck with me ever since reading this book as a high school sophomore.

"Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east..."

Me. I was a gm at Borders books for 10 years. ;) So was the first person on my friend list. Too easy.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I too am Savage. I absolutely love that book.
  • _errata_
    Options
    “One must shed the bad taste of wanting to agree with many. "Good" is no longer good when one's neighbor mouths it. And how should there be a "common good"! The term contradicts itself: whatever can be common always has little value. In the end it must be as it is and always has been: great things remain for the great, abysses for the profound, nuances and shudders for the refined, and, in brief, all that is rare for the rare.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    "You can't believe everything you read on the internet."

-Abraham Lincoln
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    "You can't believe everything you read on the internet."

-Abraham Lincoln

lol
  • _errata_
    Options
    "We have art in order to not die of the truth."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jelineee
    jelineee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ms3to9gC2T1r0bvkqo1_500.gif
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    I really love this one, for so many reasons...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." - Teddy Roosevelt
  • 25point4
    Options
    ^Had never read this. Beautiful.

One word
    Frees us of all the weight and pain of life:
    That word is love.
    Sophocles.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”― Oscar Wilde
  • 25point4
    Options
    Simplicity before understanding is simplistic; simplicity after understanding is simple.
    Edward De Bono
  • _errata_
    Options
    “A man is the sum of his misfortunes. One day you'd think misfortune would get tired but then time is your misfortune”
    ― William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
  • _errata_
    Options
    "If a religion is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, but it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one" -John D Barrow