Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
i have recently discovered i absolutely love apple cider vinegar!

A lil background.. i am trying to be super aware of my sodium and keeping it between 1000 - 1500mg per day.
That being said... i have always loved salt!.. But... i love life even more than i love salt and since i have hypertension i am determined to take control of salt.

k.. back to my topic *L* apple cider vinegar...
i have 'discovered' it is (for me) an amazing substitute for salt!
i am loving it on salads, meats, steamed veg.. heck.. i;'ve even found i love it on fruit!!... have you ever tried it on pineapple? yum!!!!

anyway... since discovering this 'love' (and i do mean love, i could even drink it straight as a shot and enjoy it *L*).. i started doing a lil looking around online and started seeing folks talking about health benefits and it being considered a good 'boost' to the metabolism if a couple of tablespoons are taken before meals (or with meals i assume) .. as well as it being beneficial in helping reduce indigestion (luckily indigestion is not a concern for me..but i love the thought it might be a metabolism booster!)

So i am wondering... since there are so many very knowledgeable nutritionists etc here in mfp...
can anyone share any info with me on the benefits and possible negative side effects of adding extra apple cider vinegar to my eating plan?

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Not a nutritionist but I have read it can be really harsh on your insides. Articles I've read suggest diluting it in water if you plan on drinking it on a daily basis or it does come in capsule form I believe.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The one thing I know about apple cidar vinegar for sure is that if taken daily about 2-4 tbsp a day, it can actually stop you from getting arthritis, or if you already have it, it can stop it from progressing. I have seen it work with a few different people. My 82 year old foster dad included. He has been drinking it since in his thirties and to this day doesn't have a single bit. His new doctor even said, oh you must be one of those apple cidar freaks, before my dad even told him he takes it daily.
    Anyway, I am sure that's not really what you were looking for. But I think it's pretty cool info to know.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Wow...I've never tried it....but it sounds pretty good! Thanks for the post!
  • alitarose
    alitarose Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to use Apple Cinder Vinegar for my stomach. Acid Reflux. It really helped for awhile but then my relux got worse and I started using a pill. Now I'm off of the pill and I should go back to the Apple Cider Vinegar. Thanks for the post. I've heard of it helping arthritis also. I've heard it's good to get the Vinegar with the "Mother" still in it. The "Mother" has a lot of nutrients like Vit. B12 which I have a hard time getting since I'm mainly a Vegetarian. O.K., going to go get some Vinegar, I don't like the taste....your lucky you do!
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this subject up. I would like to try it for the salt part of it. I can't hardly drink it, but I might could use it on my salads and veggies. Sometimes without the salt everything taste so flat.
  • artgreendog
    artgreendog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After doing research on Apple Cider Vinegar I'm convinced of its benefits. I drink a tea (I try for 3 times weekly) which consists of 6-8 oz. of water (I heat it for 3 min. so it's hot and the honey dissolves), 2 T. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (raw, unfiltered), 1 T. honey and 1 t. cinnamon. After water is heated, stir in the honey and stir for at least one minute to dissolve. Then add the apple cider vinegar and cinnamon. While drinking, you'll have to periodically stir to keep the cinnamon moving around. After your tea is done swish some water around your mouth as the apple cider vinegar can erode your tooth enamel. Initially, I used the cheap apple cider vinegar which was a mistake-Bragg's tastes good. If you want to drink this on a daily basis reduce the apple cider vinegar to 1-2 teaspoons. Research for yourself how beneficial this is!! :)
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, with the mother is supposed to have way more benefits than without.
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    ITS AMAZING
    add a little of it to your waters and teas it speeds up your metabolism and makes you less hungry.
    Just dont over do it.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    In addition, ACV also helps keep your body's Ph in balance which has tremendous long term health benefits.

I drink Braggs, 2T mixed in my morning glass of water.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ordinary Apple Cider Vinegar does not have the benefits that Raw ACV has.

I take 1 tsp in the morning and 1 tsp before supper. I use it as salad dressing sometimes and when cucumbers are in season and soak cucumber slices in Braggs with a sprinkling of sea salt. It is absolutely GREAT.

I use other Braggs products also, like the nutritional yeast and Braggs Amino Acids.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i have heard the raw apple cider vinegar is better but have not seen it available in regular grocery shops..
    i guess i need make a trip to 'Planet Organic' shop.

Thank you all for the info!
    Just the fact i find it to be a great substitute for salt had me happy.. but hearing so many other positive aspects possible is a bonus!
  • artgreendog
    artgreendog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I researched apple cider vinegar before adding it to my diet. It's been around since biblical days. I would only ingest the Bragg's brand. I make a tea with 8 oz. hot water, 2 T. apple cider vinegar and 1 T. honey and stir for one minute. Then I add 1 t. or so of cinnamon (wonderful for us). I drink it before 3 pm. Can drink every day or every other day. Most important: ALWAYS rinse mouth with water once done drinking to protect tooth enamel. Apple Cider Vinegar has numerous health benefits and has reversed numerous ailments.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I tried to drink it diluted in water and could only handle the taste for a few days. It was horrible. I wish i liked it because I read it does wonderful things. I havent tried it on food. Kinda scared to lol. It also felt harsh on my throat and tummy. Mostly burned my throat. I may try it on food. Maybe I wasnt diluting it enough.