Diabetic/Cholesterol, needed to make changes, here I am..

Options
First want to say Hello Everyone, Merry Christmas, just found out my cholesterol was 346, and my diabetes A1C 8.5. I was not taking medication before, because of all the bad side effects and I have to admit, I was in denial, till the numbers popped so high, really got scared this time , so here I am, really feeling good about joining MFP, stepping up to the plate sort of speak.. lol

I'm noticing from my food diary, that my two factors are my sugar and fat intake, the fat not soo bad, but the numbers on the sugar are not good. I'm thinking its breakfast time.. my coffee, I was taking splenda but read our bodies don't process splenda.. so bye bye it went, and bought raw sugar instead (not to happy with that decision), I need a healthy replacement, how do I sweeten my coffee naturally, without going over my sugar intake?
:smile:

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Stevia. Also known as truvia brand sweetener. All natural plant you can grow in your garden. For noodles replace with Japanese house brand shirataki noodles available at most krogers in the vegan refrigerated section. Let go of things made with grains. You will get your sugar lower faster if you just accept that fast carbs are killing you.
  • I would stay with Splenda. I attended ADA conference in 2009, one lecture was suggestive that sweetener myths are unfounded. Good luck
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Coconut palm sugar is wonderful and approved for diabetics. I find it does not spike my blood sugar at all. I'm not diabetic - prediabetic. But I monitor my BG so I won't develop it.

I also suggest you get some Bragg Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
    Take Benefiber prior to each meal
    Eat a small snack before bed - peanut butter lowers BG and a slice of WW bread or some apple slices

There are other things you can do. These are only suggestions and if you're on meds, you'll likely want to discuss them with your doctor. Each case is different.

Diabetes is a very complicated disease. I'm sure you're testing so you'll know what works for you and what doesn't. There are an awful lot of things you can do but you'll have to do your research and cull out the truth from all the fiction out there. Also, don't sit much. Get up every 20 minutes and stretch, exercise, walk or just stand but don't sit. Sitting is a major cause of diabetes.

Also, stevia is said to lower BG and it's safe for diabetics. Actually Splenda should be ok. But you do not have to use it. There are many more options. And diabetics can, according to The Diabetes Foundation, use a tsp of sugar in their coffee if they want. You don't have to totally give it up. But again, do what your doctor advises.
  • miriamgreeneyes
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply and info, really appreciate it.
  • miriamgreeneyes
    Options
    Goldfinger, you're a life savor, thank you so much for all your information, I have been hearing alot of good information about coconut, water and now the sugar.. will defitnetley look into it. as well as your other info. I plan on being around for a long time god willing.. and thank you for welcoming me into the MFP..

:smile:
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great that you're taking charge of managing diabetes and welcome to the group. There are a variety of sugar substitutes, and just like so many things there isn't one that everyone likes. Try the ones that are approved by the FDA in this article: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/artificial-sweeteners/ You may find that you can gradually decrease your use of all sweeteners over time as well. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • getFitChris7
    getFitChris7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first started working on managing my diabetes my A1C was 15, but I got it down to a normal level, but due to some weight gain it went back up. I know how you feel.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I really like the before and after photos, Chris. It sounds like you're working on managing diabetes again - and maybe doing another race (if I'm right, those are race bib numbers in the photo)? ~Lynn /Glucerna