How long can you keep up with logging

Options
Like I did it for 3 months at the beginning of this year and got so burnt out. I want to be able to lose weight and maintain with out having to measure every single splash of bbq sauce on my nugget. It just seems like an unrealistic way to live out the rest of your life.

Like I get gun-ho about logging for a few weeks then its just like a job.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight by not logging. It isn't required, really, it just helps when you start getting closer to your goal and it is harder to lose.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Flossing's annoying, but I do it because it's good for me. Same thing with logging.

My longest logging streak was 325 days.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a 4 day camping trip every summer and 2 months abroad this past summer, I have logged every day for 2.5 years. I tend to eat a lot of the same meals, so it isn't all that difficult to measure out and record a lot of the things that I eat.
  • hannibal28
    hannibal28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Over 600 days straight. addicted to it. I had lost 50 pounds and then went to maintain mode and it didn't work for me and I regained some of my weight. I am now trying to get back down to 165 and stay there.
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I enjoy logging. I feel like its my accountability. And silly enough, I like seeing how many days in a row I go. Some days I'm not good at logging everything. Let alone every little thing. For me, it makes me keep going.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I tend to have the same foods for 3/4 days on the run so what I do is log everything one day, and then I know what I can have till I change my foods, I just see the point in having days with the same things copied and pasted.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I logged for 7 months while I was losing. During that time I took the time to learn proper nutrition and what my calories looked like on my plate, portion control and moderation. With that knowledge I've been able to easily maintain since (about another 7 months) without logging.

It is very beneficial to losing weight but logging calories isn't really the "lifestyle"...the "lifestyle" is proper nutrition and fitness, logging and counting calories are basically the training wheels...you should be able to take them off eventually.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's not hard. You can easily set up recipes etc. It takes moments to log when your preparing food. In reality you're just making excuses
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Im on 1465 days in a row..... as of today..... I have lost and gained back and lost it again...thats life for me...but i find that if i log on and try to get a little info for the day...receive a positive word or give one...its been a good day.....

1465 ...just part of my life...

good luck no matter what on the logging
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for over 600 days...and logging wise, I used to log everything. When I went into maintenance mode back in Jan of last year (when my weight wasn't moving and I said well this must be it) i still logged, just not on weekends.

Granted I did gain some back (I went from 166 back to 175 and am still there), so now I have to figure out how many I need to get the scale moving again.

I won't keep logging forever but for right now, I have to log.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    So far, 712 days. I lost the last 20 pounds once I started logging. But I lost the first 60 without logging and doing just a slight modification to my food intake and lots of walking and hiking.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I log because it helps keep me accountable to myself. I do it every day unless I am in the Land of No Internet (aka visiting parents). By logging, I learn what foods have how many calories and it helps keep me from making bad choices. I've been logging since April (started out on another site) and have lost 66 pounds.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have goals where keeping track of my food intake was necessary (bodybuilding - growing and then dieting for comps), I wouldn't choose to log. I think it's mentally draining and unhealthy.
  • Dollymaker
    Dollymaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually like logging; makes me feel like I've accomplished something at the end of the day. My goal is to log every single day from here until next Christmas and see how much weight I've lost and if my health isn't a whole lot better by then -- we'll see! :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    529 days and it gets easier every day. Like someone says - it's like brushing your teeth.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I plan on logging for the rest of my life. It gets easier and just becomes routine (like brushing/flossng your teeth, brushing your hair, taking out the trash, etc).

And I'd rather go through the logging then find myself back to 245lbs. I have issues with overeating and logging everything has really helped me in regards to prevention and lessening the instances that it does happen, as well as the amount eaten.

ETA: I have logged in consistently for 409 days straight. I've logged in more days than that, but this is my current streak :bigsmile:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    130 something days so far. If I am going tonlose weight and keep it off, I have to. I don't have to weigh and measure every portion in order to log it. I have spent my whole life in/around food service, I know what a half cup of veggies looks like on a plate. I have been morbidly obese, bulimic, and obese in my life. I was at my ideal weight for about six monthhs after the bulimia before pregnancy 1 of 4. I was healthier obese than bulimic, but I decided earlier this year that healthier and healthiest aren't the same. If logging it all every day is the price of healthiest, then I will pay it.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    So far I have logged for 3 1/2 yrs except for a 3 day camping trip....I plan on logging the rest of my life, because I dont want to gain the weight back I have lost 115 lbs since joining mfp, but 138 lbs total
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just eat a really similar diet everyday. So I've memorised the calories of each food and can keep a rough total in my head. I only log if I eat a few new things or if I binge.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?